Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Not enough !!FUN!!  (Read 513 times)

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
Not enough !!FUN!!
« on: October 23, 2012, 05:09:45 pm »

So, i'm having a problem seen in dwarf fortress very rarely, a lack of !!FUN!! You see, I embarked on a volcanic island, thinking I would take it easy for once and build a super fort. However, now i'm bored, and want to get some !!FUN!! I don't want to abandon the fort, since it has awesome everything,  but I need a way to get fun.

The main problem is the absence of goblins/elves/humans. Is there any way to allow them to get to my island? Thanks in advanced for the help.

Scruffy

• Bay Watcher
  • !!DRUNK FORTRESS!! Come smell the ashes
    • View Profile
Re: Not enough !!FUN!!
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 05:16:52 pm »

Well, the fact that you call it !!FUN!! instead of FUN implies that you want an unfortunate little magma incident. A small little leak that will cause a cozy little tanrum spiral or something similar.

It is easy to make a fool proof fort that can survive any possible invider and contain any little accident that can happen.
The trick to !!FUN!! is:
A, running a mod that makes things more interesting.
B, making sure that you don't plan things too perfectly. If there is a tunnel you channel magma through, don't make it fool proof with multiple well placed floodgates and levers. Instead make it slightly imperfect with some flaws. As I already said,  it is easy to make things too perfect. That ruins the fun. Stop making everything too fool-proof. Just do things and suffer the consequences. It is far too easy to make everything so perfect that there is nothing that can harm you.
Mine candy. Don't make the perfect defence. Have inviders. Don't have an instant kill lever. You get the idea.

Once a player is expericed enough the only way of keeping things interesting is either doing something really outrageous or not planning the simple things too much.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 05:19:33 pm by Scruffy »
The weredwarf Urist McUrist has come! A bearded drunkard twisted into minute form. It is crazed for booze and socks. Its unwashed beard is tangled. It needs alcohol to get through the working day and has gone without a drink for far too long. Now you will know why you fear the mines.

Et tu, Urist

chaosgear

• Bay Watcher
  • Pants-on-head retarded
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 06:19:50 pm »

Dig deep.
Dig really freaking deep.
I always seem to end up with a magnificent burial complex and nowhere near enough bodies to fill it, or far too many bodies and nowhere to put any of them.

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2012, 06:47:35 pm »

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, but my fort is NOT perfect. I have it open, and I dont use complicated systems for magma pumps(My forgery area is basically a room over another room full of magma right next to the volcano) But even with that, you still haven't answered my main question. I'm on a island, and I want to know how I can get goblins/elves/humans on it.

Xob Ludosmbax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2012, 07:30:26 pm »

So, i'm having a problem seen in dwarf fortress very rarely, a lack of !!FUN!! You see, I embarked on a volcanic island, thinking I would take it easy for once and build a super fort. However, now i'm bored, and want to get some !!FUN!! I don't want to abandon the fort, since it has awesome everything,  but I need a way to get fun.

The main problem is the absence of goblins/elves/humans. Is there any way to allow them to get to my island? Thanks in advanced for the help.

It's not easy.  If the gap isn't too big, you could abandon, build a bridge to the mainland, then reclaim.  I believe all you need for a "bridge" is an embark that is on both land masses.  You don't actually need to build anything.