Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 626 627 [628] 629 630 ... 719

Author Topic: Life Begins At Death - Epilogue: We Live And Live Again  (Read 556322 times)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Re: Life Begins At Death - Chapter 6: Enjoying the Gub Life?
« Reply #9405 on: March 23, 2014, 10:25:48 pm »

Go steal some more food then sit down and read the whole thing.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9406 on: March 24, 2014, 01:44:16 pm »

In one of Mothdale's canals...

Kevin thinks it best to follow that dolphin, and glides through the waters of the canal in a fashion as carefree and light as that of a traumatized brick. Nevertheless, he makes decent progress, though the dolphin ahead of him is definitely much faster than he. Fortunately, it does wait up for him, impatiently jabbing him with its nose whenever he lags too far behind. Eventually the two reach a particular point, when the leading dolphin jumps out of the water, landing on the cobbled street with a wet splash. Imitating the creature, Kevin leaps after it, landing at its side.

At this point, the dolphin stands up on its tail, a feat Kevin can't seem to imitate, much to his new friend's disappointment, and he is reduced to crawling after it. In any case, they slowly move through the streets until the other dolphin suddenly notices Art of all people walking down the street. Its eyes gleaming with strange intent, it begins to move in the unsuspecting fellow's direction.

Inside a nice little parlor...

Mark, guessing that, if he's not hungry, he probably should be, eats some of that unattended meat - it's nice and spicy, and actually quite rare. A steak of some sort, he guesses, or at least vaguely remembers. Eating it provides him with a rather nice sense of fullness - it's almost enough to make him reconsider immediate looting and getting out of here as soon as possible.

Nevertheless, the call of loot is not to be ignored - the other two dead ladies seem to have about six coppers and five silvers between them, not to mention a lute and a bongo, both of a very high quality. When the three instruments are in close proximity, Mark notices an odd glow begin to emanate from them. Hm.

The rest of the house contains little of note - there's silverware, of course, and candles and some tapestries, and some fairly expensive furniture, but nothing else. Looks like the only proper treasure here were the instruments.

On one of the more blazing streets of Mothdale...

Scott deflects any accusations of ill intent with all the flippancy one would expect.

"Shush, I just wanted to scare the little thing. Is it much to ask for a 'Hello' 'I am doing fine' 'You presence is appreciated Scott'?" he says to the air, floating over to the sphere of metal and examining it - he concludes that it is spherical and made of metal, oddly enough. And judging from the way it hasn't exploded yet, probably mundane as well, and this assessment is confirmed when he manages to successfully phase through it.

~that's actually a bear, scott! it is presently delivering its focus to erin!~

Huh. It sure looks like Erin, Scott thinks.

In the streets of Mothdale...

Morton senses looming conflict, and it could potentially be quite nasty, he suspects.

~Oh dear, that all sounds absolutely dreadful. I hope a peaceable parley can be reached.~

~we guess it can be reached! the only matter is the cost!~

Fortunately, it is beyond Morton's control what dire consequences may be in store for him, his master and all of his friends, and finds the idea of meeting the tailor an agreeable proposition for now.

~I'd very much appreciate that, good group Gub, I'm quite confident in good tailor Craig's abilities.~

~the way shall be illuminated!~

And it sort of is - Morton notices a blazing trail of light form ahead of him. Seeing no reason not to do so, he follows it for a good while until he comes to the familiar form of Tailor Craig, reading a book on a terrace idly. He doesn't seem to have noticed the trail culminating in a flaming arrow pointing to him. Morton approaches the man and bids a cheery greeting!

"Mm, yes?" Tailor Craig asks, turning away from his book. "You are presumably going to ask something of me, yes?" he then says. Morton wonders how Tailor Craig could have known this, really.

At a forming stalactite...

Darren tries to push his viewpoint on the pile.

"What, you don't think we can show them how cool our fun is? They can't be that stubborn."

The creature thinks a bit, smacking its lips while one of its eyes inspects Darren.

"Hm. I do suppose we could go in there if you really want it that badly. Who knows, might be fun," it eventually says. "Though we will need a little something to get in."

The pile of flesh begins to bubble and stew, its ectoplasmic body beginning to deform. The eyestalks slide into the mass, as do the lips and the arm, and a pillar begins to grow from the shape, a head, arms and legs emerging almost immediately. The definition of the thing increases up until the point where Darren sees before him the ghost of an elderly, portly man who for some reason doesn't seem to have any eyes. Or a mouth. Just a bulbous, spotty nose.

"Right. Follow me, and look natural," the creature tells Darren, floating off in the direction of the mausoleum.

In the library of the Red Tower of Power...

Niklas quickly mobilizes to get some more food - in good time, too, he was beginning to feel a little hungry again. Unfortunately, however, there don't seem to be any pies left unattended in the area this time around, or any other sort of consumables strewn about careless to just pick up like nobody's business. Hm.

Fortunately, he believes he can still get some reading done before the day is done. At least the Godly Gossip section. He sits down and looks through it. The basic myths seem to run along the lines of each god teaching mortals various important life lessons - Arnold Q. Arnold notes that these myths are those that are least likely to be literally true, since it seems quite uncharacteristic of gods to teach mortals these kinds of things in any direct fashion.

The second sort of myths are the various creation myths (the gods appearing in the world, either creating or enslaving the demons, then working out the order of things is the general gist of it, with the second two steps occasionally reversed and the initial state of the world varying) - the gods don't really seem willing to provide any evidence for these, and are fairly tight-lipped on the matter, Arnold Q. Arnold notes, except for Velusius, who just responds with conflicting, outrageous accounts of creation that involve varying degrees of sex, violence, violent sex and usually copious amounts of incest. Velusius is kind of unhelpful, Arnold Q. Arnold also notes, and his stories lack any form of internal consistency, as he seems to be making them up on the fly.

The third sort are individual accounts of encounters with gods - these are probably the most reliable, and it is from these that Arnold Q. Arnold has principally deduced the general disposition of each god - it is easy to obtain information on them this way, because the gods are, to reiterate an already stated point, easily reachable. Gods, when contacted, tend to give quests rather than the more demon-typical rewards-for-souls deal, or accept some form of token of personal growth instead. Velusius has a fixation with virgins, blood and danger in most of these stories, Rysinia tends to give quests involving violence and power grabs, Narcillicus mostly gives quests involving reflection and striving for perfection, Pacitarius prefers people becoming more in touch with nature (whether that means more tranquil or more savage doesn't seem to matter), and Almiria is pretty much there to just hurt you if you do badly.

The fourth sort are more amusing stories - the treasured godly gossip that injects life into the entire pantheon. Many are blatant fabrications - like Almiria hating Tuesdays specifically because one of her children - the Sixth God - met an unspeakable fate on that day (this is a fabrication mostly because Almiria is not known to hate Tuesdays in particular - if anything, she hates all days of the week equally). The most credible of these are tales of flings happening between gods and demons, and of these the only one that might be semi-confirmed is the somewhat obscure love triangle involving Narcillicus, the Aspect of Greed and Velusius - Arnold Q. Arnold has apparently sent several parties (mind-controlled and subtly mind-wiped beforehand, of course) to question the gods and the Aspect of Greed - none of them ever returned, which to the author screams confirmation. There are also other confirmed stories, but those are focused upon in Demonic Testimonies.

Niklas would read more, but his stomach seems to be protesting rather loudly and uncomfortably to such a course of action.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #9407 on: March 24, 2014, 01:57:11 pm »

Try to warn Art.
~Gub, why is this dolphin attacking Art?~

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9408 on: March 24, 2014, 02:37:40 pm »

Well, I'm still a chef even if I'm training to be a mage. Go get some ingredients (flour, fruit of some sort, cheese, and a pebble) and make myself some cheese fruit punch paste!
Sig! Onol

killerhellhound

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Master of !!MEDICINE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9409 on: March 24, 2014, 06:14:26 pm »

Mark makes a mental note to get some friends and play the instrements together, grab the loot and go outside to get my bearings
My Sig
Fluttershy jumps onto TCM, giving him a hug. "~Yay~"*Player TCM has left the server. Reason: HHHHNNNNNGGGG-

We Madmen are very ingenious.  Sometimes it just takes just a little less sanity to pull off something completely awesome.

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
« Reply #9411 on: March 24, 2014, 10:59:05 pm »

[Random note: I'm happy how useful Morton has been despite not being that useful in a fight. It's a pleasant change of pace.]

Morton isn't sure if good tailor Craig recognized him, the response sounded tired and as if he dealt with several people for similar reasons. Perhaps he did recognize him and just wishes for space instead?

"Oh, dreadfully sorry if I'm interrupting something, good tailor Craig. It's me, Morton, I'm afraid I've run afoul of a terribly bird and a man with a whip with a whip and my prior body was sadly rendered a burden on my compatriots."

The rat's body movement were odd, the emphasis more in the arms and legs than anything else, and his face much less guarding of his emotions. The tea apostle notes this, it will be a while before he broke his adaptive habits he believes.

"I was rather hoping that maybe I could garner some more suitable clothes than this, and perhaps a chat if you weren't too busy. If preferred, I could perhaps come at a more convenient time, I'd need to clean myself before I wear any new clothes after all."

Apologies if time is inconvenient, inform of who he is and why the new body to the good tailor, ask for new clothes and if he has time to talk, mention that Morton can come back if needed.

Innsmothe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9412 on: March 25, 2014, 03:28:37 am »

Scott guesses he should leave 'Erin' in peace then. He'll fly above the buildings and look for others.
"That which does not kill me, can only make me stranger." -Dana, Creator of Ozzy & Millie.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9413 on: March 25, 2014, 04:12:15 pm »

In the streets of Mothdale...

Kevin knows he should act fast - Art may be in dire peril! Flopping forward in the direction of the crystal princess man, he sees that the other dolphin seems a lot faster on land than he. It reaches Art without much trouble, and Kevin can only lament his fate and petition the gub for an explanation.

~Gub, why is this dolphin attacking Art?~

~is it?~ the gub ask, and Kevin notices the dolphin poke Art, who jumps in response. His chest flashes, and the area fills with light, nearly blinding Kevin (fortunately, he has the good sense to flip around and turn away, preventing any sort of eye damage). When he looks back, he notices that the dolphin seems to have reacted just as quickly as he, and seems similarly unharmed. It shrieks at Art in displeasure.

"What do you want from me? Leave me alone!" Art says at it, but the dolphin, being a dolphin, does not answer.

~hm! we shall make it cease and desist!~

The dolphin immediately twitches, flopping on its belly and rolling away for a few seconds. It seems to be frothing at the mouth intensely. Hm. Art uses the lull in the dolphin's approach to begin running away.

~we have news, kevin! you and your confederates may go free yet! we offer you freedom in return for a task!~

In the library of the Red Tower of Power...

The sinister urge of hunger has driven Niklas to try and perpetrate some of his notoriously dire cooking - though unfortunately he will be rather limited this time, on account of actually needing to eat whatever he will make. He begins stalking the halls of the tower in search of suitable ingredients, making sure to cast an evil eye at any and all who dare look upon him in this latest important matter.

Eventually Niklas comes to a rather large hole in one of the walls - clearly some kind of urban cave, Niklas thinks. He gets down on all fours and crawls right in, going through a rather long tunnel until finally reaching an ancient-looking room - there appears to be an altar of bones here, long fallen into disuse, a single rat the height of three cats stacked on top of one another and the approximate length of a short man, and a very sizable pile of pristine-looking food and treasure (for a given definition of 'treasure', anyway).

The rat, unfortunately, seems to have noticed his coming well in advance, however, and currently seems to be standing ready to pounce at the slightest hint of trouble.

In a building with two dead ladies...

Mark, after securing all of his loot as securely as loot can possibly be secured, flits out into the street, trying to get his bearings.

Fortunately, bearings are very easy to get in this town - he is still in Mothdale! There are still canals! And there's gub all around! And also Art running down the street.

~mark! we have an optional task you may accomplish in return for freedom! we can connect you with the terrible skyman! he will provide details!~

Elsewhere in Mothdale...

Sigmund decides that now would be an appropriate time to take off and move up into the skies - after all, that's what these jellies seem to do best. However, he notices that his ascent is fairly slow - even if he's got the theory of it down reasonably well, he guesses he'll need a bit of practice to get the exact method down.

~sigmund! new details have been worked out! there is a deal in the making! it involves kidnapping and deception! are you interested?~

On a reasonably nice sort of terrace...

Morton elaborates on his needs and offers apologies for the awful interruption to the tailor - after all, he may have been busy with something.

"Oh, dreadfully sorry if I'm interrupting something, good tailor Craig. It's me, Morton, I'm afraid I've run afoul of a terrible bird and a man with a whip and my prior body was sadly rendered a burden on my compatriots."

Tailor Craig's glowing eyes soften a bit as he seems to realize who he's speaking to.

"Ah, Morton. You used to be a desk, yes? I must admit, I'm somewhat out of the loop right now. I haven't seen any of you ever since you left mysteriously that day. You've certainly changed a lot."

Morton cuts to the chase immediately.

"I was rather hoping that maybe I could garner some more suitable clothes than this, and perhaps a chat if you weren't too busy. If preferred, I could perhaps come at a more convenient time, I'd need to clean myself before I wear any new clothes after all."

"Oh no, it's no trouble at all. I left my tools within, I could fix you up a suit of finery within a few hours if necessary. Would serve to break up the monotony, certainly. Or I could send you through the portal again. That would be a valuable bit of information, I think. Haven't done any repeat customers yet."

The gub suddenly pipe up in Morton's head.

~morton! there is a matter that may culminate in your freedom and a resolution to this whole situation! if you are interested, we do not forbid you to say so!~

Elsewhere still in Mothdale...

Scott guesses there's no point in torturing Erin if it's not actually Erin - that defeats the whole point, really - so he just floats up into the sky. He doesn't need to even go too far to notice a familiar thing - Tailor Craig! He seems to be talking to some kind of tiny rat person. How uncharacteristic for a man of his stature.

~scott! the artiste is calling! are you willing to establish a connection?~

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9414 on: March 25, 2014, 04:18:16 pm »

Equip knife. Assume war stance and begin uttering chef warcry. If rat attacks, stab judiciously.
Sig! Onol

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9415 on: March 25, 2014, 05:17:01 pm »

~Of course I am! But you have to explain me what exactly is happening here first, otherwise I may not be able to do much~

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
« Reply #9416 on: March 25, 2014, 08:21:19 pm »

Morton wasn't entirely sure what was meant by freedom here, it could certainly apply to a wide variety of things. Either way, his curiosity was peaked but he needed a moment first to converse with Craig, it would be terribly rude to leave him unanswered for a period of time.

~I must admit my curiosity is peaked, but if I could have one quick moment? It would be terribly rude of me to leave good tailor Craig unanswered.~

That matter dealt with, the butler moved his attention back to Craig and his offers, as it seems he may not be aware of Gub, rather curious. Another trip through the realm sounds tempting, and he does know more about demons than before, but now may not be the best of times.

"An offer I may take you up on at a later date, but I'm afraid something appears to be going on that requires my presence. And I must admit with a bit of shame that I've rather missed having a heart beat, its presence is quite calming. If you wouldn't mind, I'd quite like a fine clothing again."

Now the rat's body language was too subdued, much to its inhabitants annoyance. He'll get the hang of it soon, he simply over compensated.

"I must ask though, 'left mysteriously that day?' I'm afraid I've only regained consciousness earlier today. All I remember back then was being about to share my tea with the others in celebration of having gotten to Mothdale, then hearing the Gub mentally welcome us into his city and nothing more. At least until I 'awoke' later in a stone building. You speak of it as if it was a while ago, how long ago was this?"

No longer in a desk, his new body did little to hide his hesitation or worry over the answer.

Interest indeed peaked by what Gub said. Politely refuse trip to fabulous dimension, ask for fine clothing, inform of his perspective of that strange day and ask how long ago it was.

[Urg, every post looks long and thin in my phone.]
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 08:24:36 pm by Xanmyral »

killerhellhound

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Master of !!MEDICINE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9417 on: March 25, 2014, 09:28:50 pm »

"Sure I'l go have a chat with him but when can I get my stuff back?"

Jog over to the Artiste waving and shout at him to stop
My Sig
Fluttershy jumps onto TCM, giving him a hug. "~Yay~"*Player TCM has left the server. Reason: HHHHNNNNNGGGG-

We Madmen are very ingenious.  Sometimes it just takes just a little less sanity to pull off something completely awesome.

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9418 on: March 26, 2014, 02:54:55 am »

Follow our new friend(?).

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9419 on: March 26, 2014, 07:27:32 am »

~Of course I am! But you have to explain me what exactly is happening here first, otherwise I may not be able to do much~

~your master requires you to kidnap some spellcasters from the surrounding countryside in order to stand in for the unavoidable loss of you and your so-called friends! we shall connect you with him!~

The voice of the gub cuts out, and something else replaces it.

~Right, who exactly is this? Eh, doesn't matter. Thing is, I've worked out a little deal with the gub - you bring over a whole bunch of spellcasters - five, I think - and they'll let us take Erin and leave. Any questions?~
Pages: 1 ... 626 627 [628] 629 630 ... 719