Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 559 560 [561] 562 563 ... 719

Author Topic: Life Begins At Death - Epilogue: We Live And Live Again  (Read 556971 times)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: Life Begins At Death - Chapter 5: The Path of Dreams
« Reply #8400 on: January 16, 2014, 01:02:24 pm »

"Eh, I think he likes the guy. It'd take some serious manipulating."

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8401 on: January 16, 2014, 01:14:21 pm »

"Eh, I think he likes the guy. It'd take some serious manipulating."

"... yeah, probably, I guess. I don't really know much about either of them or anything. In fact, I'm feeling kind of tired now. Mentally, you know. I should probably leave. And get Stephen out of here, too."

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8402 on: January 16, 2014, 01:18:57 pm »

"Aw. Well then, I guess you have bussiness to attend to. It was nice talking to you anyway. Don't get chopped in half or incinerated or something."

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8403 on: January 16, 2014, 08:58:24 pm »

"Huh... Actually."
Darren turned to look at her.
"How long has it been since you sold one of your pets? If you're suffering from a lack of customers, I have an idea for a location you could try."

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
« Reply #8404 on: January 16, 2014, 09:46:52 pm »

[Bet'cha the Ring of Drunkenness' effects are permanent/expire only after a long time unless manually toned down by ring.]

Morton took a deep breath--purely cosmetic as he didn't need to breathe--and looked the chants again. The desk is expecting himself to most likely flub the speaking part, with how things are that's to be expected the first time around really. But there's always the second and third try, after all.

But really how important are the chants? Are they words of power, or simply complicated words that help bring their mind to the correct framework? Do the words really matter? Evelyn said enchanting was all about will, so where would the words factor into that but to help focus the mind?

Hm. Evelyn did say not to rush, but he believes himself sufficiently ready for the beginner chant. He's gone over the tougher parts of the chant, has a clear subject in mind. Perhaps he's ready. Tally ho, then.

Morton held the chant in front of him and started, trying to focus his mind on tea.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8405 on: January 17, 2014, 04:13:51 pm »

On the deck of the Second Shank...

Scott, at a loss on what to do now that he's a ghost that can't seem to do anything, looks for the Captain. He is, however, nowhere to be found - not in any of the rooms, the halls or anywhere else Scott can think of. He's checked everywhere and had no luck. Wonder where the fellow might be?

Mark, meanwhile, attends to Erin. He obtains a glass of presumably clean water from the kitchen and hands it to Erin, who drinks it happily.

"Thanks! Needed that."

Keeping the ring to himself, Mark then takes inventory of the weapons aboard the ship - he concludes that the only one he's aware of is his halberd. And the harpoons. Both of those are useful mostly for stabbing, sometimes for slashing. But there's also Erin, he guesses, who can basically provide any weapon he may desire at will (that is, when she sobers up - otherwise it's probably not the best idea to bother her with anything). That's definitely something to take into consideration.

But enough about that! Sigmund, who is still trapped against a wall, hopes that the motion of the ship will make the point he concentrated the air flow toward distant enough to not bother anyone. And that does indeed seem to happen! Hooray! Yippee! Yay! Sigmund, for one, is quite happy that magic decided to be sensible this time around. He is freed just in time to see Niklas try something rather silly on the guy who's twisted into a know.

"Very well! I shall tell you a story!"

"A story!"

"A great story! A saga, even!"

"Ooh. Interesting."

"The saga of Fjolbraagchairbjorhlarvirgchairgarmhunnchairjorgchairharalchairchair, the Hero!"

"What an exotic name!"

"The saga begins like most sagas do, with a hero - Fjolbraagchairbjorhlarvirgchairgarmhunnchairjorgchairharalchairchair, or Fjolbraagchair, heading out of his home village with a band of hardy men of the north - Lothchairhardralchairulfchairchairtryggchairchair and Luthchairhardralchairulfchairchairtryggchairchair, toughest and meanest warrior brothers you have ever seen, among them! This legendary band sought out Hildredchairjulgrumphchairchair, the mostly nameless villain from the west that had displaced Fjolbraagchair's third cousin, Porfjalachairbuursvajkechairmutkechairchairchairhelne, the most beautiful woman in the entire land, from her comfortable home near the inhospitable volcano Fjolbraagchair had built her for the day that he would return to marry her and all of her sisters in a grand ceremony!"

"Ooh!"

"And then-" Niklas continues, but is interrupted by the skeleton woman returning and tapping the guy on the shoulder.

"Hey, Stephen. We should leave. Sun looks to be rising."

Stephen looks at the horizon.

"Yeah, I guess. Too bad. I was hoping to hear this."

"Well, you can come back later. When you have time."

"Right. When'll that be? Next century?"

"Oh, stop whining, will you? Besides, I've seen your schedule. Mine's worse. Let's go."

Stephen shakes his head and shrugs, then the two mages disappear in a flash of light.

In the den of the Second Shank...

Kevin says his farewells to Lizzie.

"Aw. Well then, I guess you have business to attend to. It was nice talking to you anyway. Don't get chopped in half or incinerated or something."

Lizzie nods slowly.

"Will do. And I hope you do the same. In fact..." she begins, fishing around inside her robe, "where'd it go? Ah, here."

She pulls out a bright red sphere about the size of an eyeball, opening up Kevin's hand and placing it on his palm.

"I'm pretty busy most of the time, but hey, if you ever feel like talking to me again or maybe arranging a meeting, just squeeze that little rock. Until then, goodbye. Was an immense pleasure talking to you, Kevin, and good luck to you," she says, waves goodbye to the jester, then soundlessly walks out of the room.

In the engineers' quarter of the City of the Dead...

Darren, not having found any people in the vicinity, advances to plan B.

"Huh... Actually," he turns to look at the woman. She seems to still be morose. "How long has it been since you sold one of your pets? If you're suffering from a lack of customers, I have an idea for a location you could try."

"Haven't sold one yet. Everyone is dead. Everyone who can help, anyway. And even if I could move my store, where would I take it?"

In the kitchen of the Second Shank...

Morton, after devoting a quiet moment to thinking about chants, comes to the conclusion that the only way to get anywhere with them now is to try and actually chant them. The Single Thought Chant comes first, and the accompanying single thought is obvious - tea!

[Morton's pronunciation roll: 4]

Morton actually has few problems pronouncing the words - there are a few doubtful 'ae's and a 'krkfthziks' he probably flubbed somehow, but he does feel a bit different as he focuses on the chant. There's actually an empty space provided for the object of one's focus - that's handy, Morton guesses. After a single time of getting through the whole thing, Morton doesn't feel any different. The second and third times, though, the idea of tea does begin to seem more defined to him. He can very easily form a complete mental picture of a cup of tea now, the texture of it, and what he remembers of the taste and aroma, he remembers clearly. Vividly, even. One has to wonder what would happen if he repeated this for an hour.

Right, guys (by which I mean the current main party, not Spinal and Yoink) - it's time for travel turns! Each turn is 24 hours, and there's going to be four of these. List the vague gist of the activities you hope to get to during the day. Though you can also do specific actions, and those'll be resolved outside of regular turns.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 04:20:22 am by Harry Baldman »

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8406 on: January 17, 2014, 08:00:53 pm »

Allright:

Outside of these turns:

Go and ask Evelyn:

-What is the worse thing that can happen when you fail badly to make a focus?

Also:

Check the specific metaphysical knots of the presumably dangerous sheet of paper.

For the travel turns:

-Fix the not so good foci, make a focus of the failed focus attempt.
-Tie myself to the mast and practice wind magic.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #8407 on: January 17, 2014, 08:53:12 pm »

((You're the best GM ever for that.))

For travel turns:
Try to get my chair powers back. Do the meditation thing a few times, see if it works.
Have awesome fatherson bonding time with Torkel.
Also do stuff with Helsvar.
Get my moving privileges back and cook everything I can find into a glorious feast as a gift for the god of cooking and yelling, Gordon Ramsay *insert god name here*

((Too much?))
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 04:18:01 am by Xantalos »
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8408 on: January 17, 2014, 09:44:04 pm »

[Xant, I'm curious, you know how you were able to manipulate chairs in the first place?]

The chants seemed successful, surprisingly so to the desk. Perhaps there was more to these chants than simply focusing the mind? All the same, Morton recalls Evelyn's advice that he shouldn't rush things. Practice of these chants are important on the road to enchanting, after all.

Travel Turn:
More practice! With Tea! Try to branch the subject of tea to things related to tea, with focus of his home.
The warm summer days where there was nothing better to do but sit watching the sun set with a nice hot cup of tea and nice company. Distant, pleasant memories of home and family.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8409 on: January 17, 2014, 10:18:14 pm »

((Niklas emptied his mind, focused on something or other, and apparently acheived chair wizardry with force of will somehow.))
Sig! Onol

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8410 on: January 17, 2014, 10:41:08 pm »

[Congrats, Niklas accidentally stumbled into being an enchanter.]

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8411 on: January 17, 2014, 10:44:50 pm »

((And now, if Sigmund's astral vision is correct, his soul is so fucked up he can hardly make sense of it anymore.))
Sig! Onol

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8412 on: January 17, 2014, 10:50:13 pm »

[Personally, I want Sigmund to check out all of our souls, if at least for novelty's sake.

You might be able to enchant again, what happened was that you enchanted your body to give you control over chairs. That body got toasted though, so you'd need to enchant yourself again.]

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8413 on: January 17, 2014, 10:52:51 pm »

((Hmm.
If he does that, could Morton try to get him to check me again? I might want to change one of my actions.))
Sig! Onol

killerhellhound

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Master of !!MEDICINE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8414 on: January 18, 2014, 12:03:00 am »

travel turn fishing and sacrificing when Erin is sober ask for some bait
My Sig
Fluttershy jumps onto TCM, giving him a hug. "~Yay~"*Player TCM has left the server. Reason: HHHHNNNNNGGGG-

We Madmen are very ingenious.  Sometimes it just takes just a little less sanity to pull off something completely awesome.
Pages: 1 ... 559 560 [561] 562 563 ... 719