Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 509 510 [511] 512 513 ... 719

Author Topic: Life Begins At Death - Epilogue: We Live And Live Again  (Read 556353 times)

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
Re: Life Begins At Death - Chapter 5: The Path of Dreams
« Reply #7650 on: November 06, 2013, 06:43:02 pm »

[No idea what Morton may get a bonus to, his actions have been kind of spread out. If I were to wager a guess, probably politeness/diplomacy/something of the sort. I wonder if I can turn him into a diplomancer of sorts... Not sure if that's actually a thing, but chair magic is so who knows. Then again, I've no idea if any rolls have even been done conversationally, so I've not a clue.]

Morton didn't quite like the sound of that, but kept calm as is the way of being a butler and most certainly of desks. "Take your time good mage Art, focus, think it through. It mustn't be easy, with Niklas soul having endured this and having survived, but I know you can do it, you'll manage marvelously and make the task almost trivial." The desk supportingly advised Art in his magical mojo, hoping it might help.

killerhellhound

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Master of !!MEDICINE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7651 on: November 06, 2013, 07:13:21 pm »

I have no idea what I might get since I've been a lump of metal and tree for so long but I'm hoping for improved soul vision or a boost to hide or maybe a boost to endurance.)
My Sig
Fluttershy jumps onto TCM, giving him a hug. "~Yay~"*Player TCM has left the server. Reason: HHHHNNNNNGGGG-

We Madmen are very ingenious.  Sometimes it just takes just a little less sanity to pull off something completely awesome.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7652 on: November 06, 2013, 08:46:55 pm »

[No idea what Morton may get a bonus to, his actions have been kind of spread out. If I were to wager a guess, probably politeness/diplomacy/something of the sort. I wonder if I can turn him into a diplomancer of sorts... Not sure if that's actually a thing, but chair magic is so who knows. Then again, I've no idea if any rolls have even been done conversationally, so I've not a clue.]
((Tea+black deadly paste-->Bonus to alchemy))

I have no idea what I might get since I've been a lump of metal and tree for so long but I'm hoping for improved soul vision or a boost to hide or maybe a boost to endurance.)
((Maybe a further bonus to !!medicine!! rolls, allowing you to decide wether you want an overshoot or not?))

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7653 on: November 06, 2013, 09:04:45 pm »

[Alchemy is a touch hard to do when you no longer have a biology. Granted, hands made specially for dexterous work, but Morton can't exactly test/judge/smell/do much with alchemy while a desk. He can still do tea, but that's like the Morton Constant: If there is Morton, there is Tea.

Which... He hasn't made in a while. Granted, tea is the bit you only truly make for the proper situation, make it all willy-nilly and it loses what makes it special.

Really though, this is all assuming we survive the ocean bit, which will most likely be very hard.]
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 09:06:45 pm by Xanmyral »

Innsmothe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7654 on: November 07, 2013, 03:30:10 am »

((And Scott will get a bonus to being an insufferable ass- OH WAIT, HE ALREADY HAS A +3 TO THAT))
((He isn't that bad, his entire world did shatter a short while ago. So he is going to be extremely erratic and sometime prone to violence and paranoia. ))
"That which does not kill me, can only make me stranger." -Dana, Creator of Ozzy & Millie.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7655 on: November 07, 2013, 05:20:45 am »

In a kitchen...

Niklas looks for that staple of northern cooking, the knife. Luckily, northerners have only two types of knives - sharp knives and their teeth, as the other sorts don't frequently come into play unless the food is needed to be extra painful. Sadly, though, all the knives are currently in use. And even if they weren't, Niklas would need to use three limbs to hold one of them anyway.

On some ship in Shriekpot...

Scott asks the man the most important question of the moment.

"Are you in any way planning anything that may displease my master?"

"That depends. Will going out for a drink at the Feisty Jelly displease whoever your master is? 'Cause that's what I've been planning to do the past ten or so minutes. Say, got any coins to spare? I'm a few short of getting a decent mug of swill."

This is possibly good, or he might just be lying. Either seems likely.

On the Second Shank...

Sigmund tries to approach universal understanding one thing at a time. First, the laws! He tries to unravel the knot, but then realizes that one of the laws within the knot is that you do not unravel the knot. He slumps a little at the realization.

Furthermore, it looks like another law is that he can't do whatever he wants just because he feels like it. Finally, there's no fun permitted, period. Seriously, man. No fun beyond this point. This will not be repeated, and one runs the risk of severe retribution if they forget that for a few seconds.

Man, he knew the universe was old, but not like this!

Topside, Kevin realizes what's wrong here.

"Not much to do for me right now, is there?"

"One could argue you're completely superfluous, yes."

"Aw, don't be mean to the poor guy. It's probably not entirely his fault he's crippled."

"It probably is, actually, knowing this lot like I do."

"Still, negative reinforcement isn't a viable way to deal with people in a positive way. Say, Kevin, you should seek help. I bet somebody out there in the streets would love to operate on you a little, help you get back in shape."

In the streets of Shriekpot...

Considering that Niklas still isn't dead, Morton gives Art the go-ahead to try again.

"Take your time, good mage Art, focus, think it through. It mustn't be easy, with Niklas soul having endured this and having survived, but I know you can do it, you'll manage marvelously and make the task almost trivial."

"Hey, thanks. A little faith goes a long way, I'd say."

Art then focuses a moment, looking at the pot, then at pile of slag that is Niklas. He raises a single hand. The pile of slag seems agitated for a moment, but it subsides once more.

"Good news, I screwed up again and he's still not dead. Pretty great subject, that fellow. Okay, one more time!"

Art gestures a few times, but nothing seems to happen.

"Nah, nah. I lost it. Let's go get Erin instead."

killerhellhound

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Master of !!MEDICINE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7656 on: November 07, 2013, 07:22:26 am »

((Hey Kevin I know a great surgeon he even works for free is you are nice to him
oh wait thats me. :P

now, hold still. :D))

Progress check on repairs
My Sig
Fluttershy jumps onto TCM, giving him a hug. "~Yay~"*Player TCM has left the server. Reason: HHHHNNNNNGGGG-

We Madmen are very ingenious.  Sometimes it just takes just a little less sanity to pull off something completely awesome.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7657 on: November 07, 2013, 07:40:24 am »

Sigmund realized that this was not an easy task, and that it should be taken seriously. After all, he was trying to know how to do magic, and that was a commplicated bussiness.

Just observe the laws, without directly interacting with them.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7658 on: November 07, 2013, 09:49:07 am »

"There's a smith willing to help me, or experiment on me, but he's currently working on the treehead."

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7659 on: November 07, 2013, 09:51:47 am »

"There's a smith willing to help me, or experiment on me, but he's currently working on the treehead."

"Truly, you are the most unlucky individual I have ever known. My condolences on your perpetual misery."

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #7660 on: November 07, 2013, 12:54:41 pm »

That's it! Use my teeth to chop the meat!
Don't eat it yet though.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Innsmothe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7661 on: November 07, 2013, 04:15:23 pm »

"We have the finest swill on our vessel, providing of course that my master hasn't drunk it all...will you accept the invitation?"
"That which does not kill me, can only make me stranger." -Dana, Creator of Ozzy & Millie.

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7662 on: November 07, 2013, 08:05:26 pm »

"We best hurry then, I sincerely doubt they'll leave him like that for long. Getting good sir Captain to aid us would also be of marvelous help, I fear that whatever good mage Erin might change chef Niklas might be damaged by the heat. Good sir Captain could probably get him out of there for safe transforming." Morton offered as he looked around one last time to make sure he remembered the street before heading off with Art to the ship. The desk only hopes Erin is awake and well when they get there.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7663 on: November 08, 2013, 01:19:07 am »

In Gunther Gunnarson's workshop...

Mark suddenly remembers that he, against all odds, is quite conscious. And terribly bored. The blacksmith guy is slowly working on the whole ball joint thing, and has installed four out of eight by this point, right now finishing work on his arms. He's humming a cheery tune and looking somewhat relaxed.

Mark really wishes the guy would get a move on. He's been here for eight hours already.

In the cargo hold of the Second Shank...

Sigmund realizes that the laws are things that should not be poked without reason. Instead, he looks at them. They don't seem to mind much, as looking does not qualify as anything fun in their book. There's a whole bunch of laws in the knot right in front of him, and the first three he found are simply the overarching, strongest ones. One particular rule he notices is that no willful alterations of reality are permitted, as this hurts the general sensibility of the universe. And the general sensibility of the universe does not like to be hurt, naturally.

Furthermore, each rule is founded on several small subsets of rules. For instance, the "no fun" rule stands on three main pillars, or is based on several strands, whatever your preference, the knots are really just an abstraction: "no magic", "soul is taken after death" and "your enjoyment means absolutely nothing to anyone", which in turn have several smaller subsets supporting them. And the "don't unravel" rule is founded on "don't manipulate the strands", "don't move the knot" and "no smartass lateral approaches to knot unraveling".

Interestingly, Sigmund becomes aware that such a knot exists for pretty much every object around him - some have more complex knots, with Sigmund himself having the most tangled one that he can see in the room, while his piece of paper has significantly fewer strands, presumably due to having no concept of death or fun.

In a kitchen...

Niklas, though he feels a little sick for a moment, nonetheless commences a chopping frenzy. He nibbles the meat present into several slices, which is pretty hard work, all things considered. Luckily, his teeth are knives in their own right, and thus they are surprisingly suited for the job, albeit a little small.

After a good hour of this, he proclaims the meat rather nicely chopped. The people present clap at his steadfast spirit.

On a different ship in Shriekpot...

Scott offers the man a drink.

"We have the finest swill on our vessel, providing of course that my master hasn't drunk it all...will you accept the invitation?"

"Uhm, no offense, but that seems a little suspicious. Particularly the way you keep mentioning a master. Sounds like something out of a horror story, no? I think I'll pass, thank you very much," the sailor replies. "In fact, I think I'll go to the Feisty Jelly instead. Thank you for pushing me to make up my mind."

The sailor man moves to leave the ship.

At Niklas' melting point...

Morton agrees with the proposed course of action.

"We best hurry then, I sincerely doubt they'll leave him like that for long. Getting good sir Captain to aid us would also be of marvelous help, I fear that whatever good mage Erin might change chef Niklas might be damaged by the heat. Good sir Captain could probably get him out of there for safe transforming."

"Right. But first, let's get there."

And soon enough they do! They are greeted by something interesting, namely an unfamiliar ghost standing next to the Artiste, gabbing about something.

"Is that... hey, it is! Justine, that's you, isn't it?"

The ghost turns to face Art slowly.

"I'm afraid not. You must have me confused with someone else, whoever you are."

"Nah, it's her alright. Justine, remember Art? He got a makeover, you see."

"I do recall someone with that name. The mostly useless necromancer, right?"

"Hey! I take offense to that."

"And I care so very deeply about your opinion."

Art grumbles a little in response.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #7664 on: November 08, 2013, 01:47:01 am »

Retrieve tiny cooking pot from somewhere!
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))
Pages: 1 ... 509 510 [511] 512 513 ... 719