Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Obsessed with buckets  (Read 2972 times)

Zeebie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Obsessed with buckets
« on: October 23, 2012, 02:01:59 pm »

One of my dwarfs is hoarding buckets in his bedroom.  Right now he has five in there.  I'm a little concerned that this is impacting bucket availability for things like providing water to the wounded.  Anyone have any idea what's going on or how to get those buckets back in use?

DanteThanatos

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:hollow eyes]
    • View Profile
Re: Obsessed with buckets
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 02:06:16 pm »

Dump them and re-claim after the dump.
I think that should get them back in line.

Scruffy

• Bay Watcher
  • !!DRUNK FORTRESS!! Come smell the ashes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 02:28:00 pm »

Are the buckets owned by the dwarf? I don't know if dwarves can own buckets but if they are owned then getting rid of them will be harder.

(Personally I would just wait until he sleeps and forbid the door. After that you can just dig a channel above his room and make the hole a pond area. He shall be drowned with the very buckets he so loved.)
The weredwarf Urist McUrist has come! A bearded drunkard twisted into minute form. It is crazed for booze and socks. Its unwashed beard is tangled. It needs alcohol to get through the working day and has gone without a drink for far too long. Now you will know why you fear the mines.

Et tu, Urist

sir_schwick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2012, 04:57:59 pm »

(Personally I would just wait until he sleeps and forbid the door. After that you can just dig a channel above his room and make the hole a pond area. He shall be drowned with the very buckets he so loved.)

Does a drowned body generate Miasma?  If not then you have the new way to properly "mummify" dwarves.  Injured/noble(mentally injured) dwarves would have private rooms.  Flood the rooms and have a nice tomb for them(complete with masterwork memorial) sitting in the space above.  Visitors could even look down upon the pond containing the "mummy".

Scruffy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2012, 05:04:03 pm »

Does a drowned body generate Miasma?  If not then you have the new way to properly "mummify" dwarves.  Injured/noble(mentally injured) dwarves would have private rooms.  Flood the rooms and have a nice tomb for them(complete with masterwork memorial) sitting in the space above.  Visitors could even look down upon the pond containing the "mummy".
I am not sure how miasma works under water. I would just floor over the hole after filling the "pond" and wait until the corpse turns into a skeleton. That should keep the miasma inside until the body is rotten enough to stop generating it.

..Is it just me, or does anyone else feel like my ideas have been a tad bit too "dwarven" lately?
The weredwarf Urist McUrist has come! A bearded drunkard twisted into minute form. It is crazed for booze and socks. Its unwashed beard is tangled. It needs alcohol to get through the working day and has gone without a drink for far too long. Now you will know why you fear the mines.

Et tu, Urist

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2012, 05:15:28 pm »

..Is it just me, or does anyone else feel like my ideas have been a tad bit too "dwarven" lately?

No such thing.

So, yeah; check to see if the dwarf owns the buckets. If not, they might still get used when buckets are required. It could just be that he's been going to bed thirsty a lot and that's generating "give water" jobs in other dwarves that result in them carrying a bucket of water to his room and dumping it on his head, then leaving it there. If they are his "property" you'll have to kill him.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Scruffy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2012, 05:20:38 pm »

If they are his "property" you'll have to kill him.
I like the way you think ;)

Et tu, Urist

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2012, 05:52:34 pm »

It's probably the fortress trying to water them. I bet if you examines the buckets, there'll be some water in them. Queue up a lot of pond filling jobs somewhere random and they should empty them out, then deactivate the pond/pit so they'll empty the last load before removing the zone.

Dwarves shouldn't own buckets, if they does, it's a bug. AFAIK they only claims food and clothings, stuffs they actually use. And water-filled buckets aren't put into stockpile, they sits around until someone else gets the idea to use it.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2012, 06:45:36 pm »

As to the miasma question: a dwarf got trapped in an aquifer on my last fort. From what I saw, he never generated miasma... but vermin would spawn on his corpse and stand on it.

I got rid of it by flooding the offending area with magma, and mined out the resulting obsidian. Noone even remembered who he was.

Xob Ludosmbax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2012, 07:33:15 pm »

I'm not sure if it was fixed, but there was a bug where buckets that were dropped with water in them would become unusable.  If that is the problem, the dump thing should work, or "drybuckets" in dfhack.   

Cattani

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2012, 07:38:19 pm »

I have a problem with Creeping Eyes in my Water-filled third cavern layer - and that's where im extracting Hematite. Lots of job cancelation, lots of crossbow bolts fired and lots of creeping eye dead underwater. They do generate miasma, and it can spread into the air several z-levels high.

Scruffy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2012, 07:43:58 pm »

I have a problem with Creeping Eyes in my Water-filled third cavern layer - and that's where im extracting Hematite. Lots of job cancelation, lots of crossbow bolts fired and lots of creeping eye dead underwater. They do generate miasma, and it can spread into the air several z-levels high.
Lot of cancelations? that sounds lik ea jkob for me., Scruffy. Too bad that creeping eyes are above groud life and don't generate miasma since they are plant life. woo zaa!

Et tu, Urist

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2012, 07:51:39 pm »

Lot of cancelations? that sounds lik ea jkob for me., Scruffy. Too bad that creeping eyes are above groud life and don't generate miasma since they are plant life. woo zaa!

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Creeping_eye
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Zeebie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2012, 08:18:57 pm »

How would I check to see if the dwarf owns them?

Cattani

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2012, 08:40:43 pm »

"k" one of the buckets. If the item is owned you will see in the "k" window. I could post an image to examplify but im kinda new to these forum things and don't really know how. But it will say "Owner: Urist McBucketloves".
Pages: [1] 2