Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Noob needs help with his Fail Fortress(s)  (Read 1099 times)

One Eyed Snake

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Noob needs help with his Fail Fortress(s)
« on: October 23, 2012, 01:30:48 pm »

Hello im fairly new to dwarf fortress and read and laugh at the random things dwarf fortress does. I want some of this stuff to happen to my dwarfs and conduct !! Science !! but i can never get my dwarfs past 50 always something happens to them that kills the fortress such as Undead Sieges, berserk dwarfs, and also fail damming that river that floods my fortress. Losing is fun i agree but i want it to happen to more dwarfs  :D. Please help this desperate noob to feed the blood god on a larger scale.

Edit: Spelling Mistakes

humblegar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Noob needs help with his Fail Fortress(s)
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 01:43:50 pm »

Hello im fairly new to dwarf fortress and read and laugh at the random things dwarf fortress does. I want some of this stuff to happen to my dwarfs and conduct !! Science !! but i can never get my dwarfs past 50 always something happens to them that kills the fortress such as Undead Sieges, berserk dwarfs, and also fail damming that river that floods my fortress. Losing is fun i agree but i want it to happen to more dwarfs  :D. Please help this desperate noob to feed the blood god on a larger scale.

Edit: Spelling Mistakes

Try embarking somewhere easy and mostly flat with a volcano, look in the cookbook thread. If it has iron and flux and either coal+trees or a volcano it is a plus. River/sand/clay is great too.

Focus on bringing at least a grower/brewer/armorer/weaponsmith/axedwarf, everything else as needed (for instance two miners, an axedwarf, perhaps a stonecrafter/mason woodcutter/carpenter). Lots of threads about this if you want details. Make sure your axedwarf starts practicing at once, and give him a partner as soon as you have migrants. A hunter and some animals for food/leather/eggs/milk will help on an easy embark.

Make walls and a raised bridge with a lever. Chop lots of wood and in general don't worry much before first caravan or first thief appears (if an easy embark). Try securing water from a river or perhaps easier a murky pool (pump into a cistern), remember to depressure with a diagonal channel. When you have the basics use the volcano for easy forging and you will be rich in no time. Pop the caverns, but wall it off or at least secure it with wardogs/traps and a bridge. Make sure you know how traps/depots work with the caravan these days.

Use the cistern for a well close to your hospital before the first winter if possible.

This might get easy fast, you are warned.

zahmir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 01:46:20 pm »

I'm at 200 dwarves and the game is getting a little boring.  You're not missing much.

If you really just want to murder wash 200 dwarves at once in a magma warm bath, then I suggest you follow these tips.

(1) FARMING. Get your food source deep underground and protected.
(2) METALS. Find metals ASAP and start a massive weapons/armor production.  You may need to send extra dwarves to chop down tons of trees for charcoal production, if your search for magma is proving too dangerous/lengthy.
(3) MILITARY. Build a mediocre military of at least 30-40 dwarves. Battle axes should help chop down the enemy fairly quickly, regardless of their talents.
(4) TRADE. Clean up random rocks and do something productive by churning out random rock toys, instruments, and the like. Cut all your gems.  Trade these en masse for more metal, drink, and food. Also, buy random items like glass, clay, and other things so that you never run out of materials for artifacts. (On that note, make sure you build all the various types of workshops.)
(5) HAPPINESS. Eventually, you will have extra dwarves. Use these dwarves to SMOOTH and ENGRAVE everything. Mine out tons of bedrooms.  Cut down on tantrum spirals by limiting dwarves interactions with another. Keep them busy; put all dwarves on a regular military rotation.   

noobnubcakes

• Bay Watcher
  • Clumsy Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2012, 01:53:37 pm »

5) HAPPINESS. Eventually, you will have extra dwarves. Use these dwarves to SMOOTH and ENGRAVE everything. Mine out tons of bedrooms.  Cut down on tantrum spirals by limiting dwarves interactions with another. Keep them busy; put all dwarves on a regular military rotation.
Is smoothing out everything in your fort really good advice?
Whenever I try to it seems to waste time that I could spend on more important things.
To this day the elven warrior castes hunt the enemies of nature for the purpouse of bringing back slain intelligent beings for consumption by their leaders and generals, for the good of nature and the survival of elvenkind.

And that is the story of how napalm was invented.

zahmir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2012, 01:54:52 pm »

5) HAPPINESS. Eventually, you will have extra dwarves. Use these dwarves to SMOOTH and ENGRAVE everything. Mine out tons of bedrooms.  Cut down on tantrum spirals by limiting dwarves interactions with another. Keep them busy; put all dwarves on a regular military rotation.
Whenever I try to it seems to waste time that I could spend on more important things.

You must micromanage your dwarves, because I always have about 30 extra that I have no idea what to do with. I use Dwarf Therapist to turn on "stone detailing" on all my idle dwarves and let them have at it.

noobnubcakes

• Bay Watcher
  • Clumsy Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2012, 01:58:58 pm »

You must micromanage your dwarves, because I always have about 30 extra that I have no idea what to do with. I use Dwarf Therapist to turn on "stone detailing" on all my idle dwarves and let them have at it.
Wasn't there a glitch that caused mass stone detailing to lag to game?
To this day the elven warrior castes hunt the enemies of nature for the purpouse of bringing back slain intelligent beings for consumption by their leaders and generals, for the good of nature and the survival of elvenkind.

And that is the story of how napalm was invented.

zahmir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2012, 02:01:33 pm »

I saw that, but I'm not running a low-end machine, so I may not be the best gauge for that.  I have 200 dwarves and running relatively smoothly at around 60 fps. But that's not due to smoothing. It's mostly pathing calculations for 200 dwarves. 

katana

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERY TIME I POST PEOPLE RUN AWAY
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2012, 03:54:50 pm »

If you have a bunch of idlers that're suddenly told to do something, the pathing will cause lag.
AND IF THIS FAILS MY IDENTICAL TWIN BROTHER WHO WILL APPEAR IN THE MIGRANT WAVE THAT ARRIVES AFTER MY DEMISE WILL REPLACE ME.
(Tldr: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FRIENDLY FIRE SALT)

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2012, 05:49:28 pm »

I don't think it's a glitch so much as each designation is looking for a dwarf to work it, according to conventional wisdom of job assignment. Do a bit at a time and it won't be much of a problem, or just let it grind away!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2012, 06:51:12 pm »

If you are having too much trouble from ambushes and sieges, you could consider turning off invaders in the init file. You can turn it back on once you think your fort is ready for it.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479