Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Prom Week, totally serious social simulation. totally.  (Read 4254 times)

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
Prom Week, totally serious social simulation. totally.
« on: October 23, 2012, 08:42:50 am »

the game first:
http://www.kongregate.com/games/PromWeekPlaya/prom-week

it is a 'prom week date the best chick simulator', at least on the surface.

behind the scene, it is sporting a complex agent simulation to model gossip, relationships, envy and personalities:
http://games.soe.ucsc.edu/project/prom-week

the AI promises to enable 'emergent storytelling', using the actors to actually simulate meaningful dialogue based on your current situation and previous actions, instead of using simpler graphical representation of social interactions.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Prom Week, totally serious social simulation. totally.
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 09:49:40 am »

"Didn't get enough social humiliation your first time through high school? We've got just the game for you!"  :P

That aside, it might be interesting to see if they can pull it off.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 10:04:50 am »

they already have playable scenarios (the first link!)

there is an option to be gamey and force interactions (which have quite the consequences anyway because of how all the relationships are linked)

and if you delve in the interactions details, it is actually pretty complex already

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2012, 10:18:27 am »

this is actually a totally fun game. I remember Chris Crawford doing something like this, but he didn't really pull it off.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

dei

• Bay Watcher
  • Someone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2012, 02:36:56 am »

I didn't even go to my high school's prom so I might check this out sometime.

edit - It's not loading in my browser. This game doesn't use some sort of fancy HTML 5 crap, does it? I'm using the latest version of Firefox.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 02:51:53 am by dei »

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2012, 03:53:47 am »

You know, I've always wondered if Americans actually put that much into the whole prom thing. In the UK the secondary school prom (16) is very much just 'just go with friends or meet them there. We talk, eat and then jump around on the Dance floor. Is fun. Then go to house party and drink totally not alcoholic drinks'

The college prom (18) is just an excuse to rent a venue and get drunk in snazzy outfits, then go clubbing. I wore a woman's silver scarf as a tie and white waistcoat. Won the best dressed male award. Then went clubbing with two ladies who are still two of my closest friends. Good times...

So the way the American prom is presented to the rest of world, as some drama-filled socially important right of passage and not a bit of meaningless fun, is...weird.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 05:42:37 am by MorleyDev »

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2012, 04:26:37 am »

Never even went to mine here in Murica. Seemed like a pointless waste of time since I had other things on my mind at the time, and I don't really regret missing it owing to my awkwardness and antisocialness back then. Then I got to college.

So the way the American prom is presented to the rest of world, as some drama-filled socially important right of passage and not a bit of meaningless fun, is...weird.

It really is just a kind of last night out, celebrating conquests and not knowing whats to come. I'm sure the more "popular" kids had a bit more to show for it, like a few pregnancies from what I heard from mine, but the drama is just upsell for commercial purposes like just about anything Americanized these days. I mean, it's so dramatic you have to buy the $$$Limo and $$$Dress and $$$Shinies just to make a good impression, then hope someone has a hotel you can go drink at without getting busted for being underage.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Svampapa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2012, 05:10:42 am »

Can't say you guys missed much. It's the same people you grew tired of two years ago, only slightly better dressed than during a normal school day. :)

Then again, I managed to grab the last dance with that girl and hang out some more with friends I lost contact with shortly after. Fond memories I wouldn't want to be without.

But that can be said about all experiences, good and bad; I wouldn't be me unless I'd made the choices in life I have. So bleh.

As for the game, I've never really understood these things. Social drama and interaction usually just becomes cheesy and the real thing is a lot better.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2012, 05:57:53 am »

I think it's more of an "end of school" thing. Like a deadline you've been procrastinating for or a last chance at something. Fits the theme/style of the game well.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

ndkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Player of Games
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2012, 07:22:07 am »

I would submit the possibility that we of the Bay12 community may not be the most representative sample when it comes to understanding the major social events of your average high schooler. ;-)

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2012, 07:35:41 am »

Which may be why we can each act in a civilised and educated manner.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2012, 07:46:49 am »

I would submit the possibility that we of the Bay12 community may not be the most representative sample when it comes to understanding the major social events of your average high schooler. ;-)

The the only reason I didn't go to my prom was because the other people in my year had plans to jump me at one of the parties (I got into a lot of fights in school and most people were sore losers about it) so I went to the cinema instead with my other friends.

Here in the UK it really doesn't seem like a big thing though. Everyone got drunk and made stupid mistakes (Which I do regularly without needing to go to a prom anyway) and at the college level we just went to the pub and went home after. The parties i'll head to every couple of months top those experiences on every level.
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2012, 10:16:46 am »

I went to prom but it was something I would have rather skipped to be honest.

In fact I DID try to skip but my class banned together to buy me a ticket. >_<

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2012, 10:43:52 am »

No prom where I'm from, but when I got to Canada I got to watch the ducklings do their prom thing and it was pretty amusing to watch.

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2012, 01:31:20 pm »

Personally I had a lot of fun at both of the proms I went to... All of the dances actually.

Then again I married the girl I went to the dances with so...

Anyways, I didn't find the dances to be very high drama. Everyone had their little circles and stuck to them like normal. The people who felt like that had something they needed to prove were the same people who always felt like they had something they needed to prove. Everyone else (myself included) just did the things we thought would be fun. Putting on a Tux and getting a pretty girl in a nice dress is something you get to do very few times in your life.

You also generally have the opportunity to get professional photos done. Photos + pretty girl + nice cloths = good memories.

Edit: I guess I should have added these were US dances. Early in the year we have Homecomming and then late your senior year of high school you have Prom. My girlfriend/now wife was a year ahead, so we went to her prom and my prom.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 02:00:19 pm by Fikes »
Pages: [1] 2