Advanced search  

Author Topic: What.  (Read 1915 times)

Gavakis

• Bay Watcher
  • some loser meme
    • View Profile
What.
« on: October 22, 2012, 05:32:35 pm »

Okay, I found a child in the annoucment screen "Dwarven Child cannot forge iron greaves, no refined coal." I was like What. I have a pic, and a CHILD has the skill of armoursmith, and he is good at it.
WAT?

pic
http://imageshack.us/f/716/48489097.png/

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What.
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 05:34:59 pm »

Is he a new immigrant that hasn't had his first Birthday in your fortress yet?

With historical migrants, you can have a 96 year old Man-Child, but as soon as the next birthday rolls around, Urist McLivedInMom&Dad'sBasement has grown to become a Cheese Maker!

Gavakis

• Bay Watcher
  • some loser meme
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 05:37:16 pm »

No, she is three year's old born on the second of Opal. I am playing on masterwork, is this a known bug?

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 05:38:34 pm »

Derp.  Well, Masterwork changes everything.  Ask in the Masterwork threads.  I have no idea.

Gavakis

• Bay Watcher
  • some loser meme
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 05:41:08 pm »

Well sorry, I had the idea someone would know. It would not be tended too at the rate I would like, so I started a thread.

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2012, 05:46:42 pm »

Didn't mean for that to come off sharply.  It's generally good form to mention what mods you have in place when asking questions so people trying to answer are on the same sheet of music :P

As to whether that's to be expected in Masterwork, I'm afraid I don't know.  Are the parents armorsmiths?  I really don't know if any mod has managed to work out inheritable traits yet.

Gavakis

• Bay Watcher
  • some loser meme
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2012, 05:54:50 pm »

No, one is a peasant in the milita and one is a farmer.

pbnjoe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2012, 06:04:34 pm »

Well, he's not a master at it, so no mood (though think you'd have noticed earlier). Really must be something with Masterwork, unless you cheated with Therapist that is.

Gavakis

• Bay Watcher
  • some loser meme
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2012, 08:04:54 pm »

I did not cheat dwarf rapist. But, still intresting, though.

Cereus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2012, 10:27:33 pm »

What caste is the child? If he's an armor savant he'll automatically have armorsmithing skill and I think he'll come with it pre-enabled.

Castes are awesome.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2012, 11:03:25 pm »

Derp.  Well, Masterwork changes everything.  Ask in the Masterwork threads.  I have no idea.

No, not everything. There are far too many vanilla bug reports in the masterwork thread assuming that Masterwork changes everything, which it pretty much can't. It changes a lot, for sure, but not everything.

This is technically a vanilla bug, though it is mod related.

JosephWongKS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2012, 11:10:57 pm »

It's not a bug.  In the Masterwork Mod, children can be born into castes, which include armor savant (natural +10 skill levels in armorsmith, +50% experience gain rate in armorsmith, -50% experience gain rate in everything else), weapon savant  (natural +10 skill levels in weaponsmith, +50% experience gain rate in weaponsmith, -50% experience gain rate in everything else), and so on.

Furthermore, any children who are born as savants automatically get their natural skill turned on as a job, bypassing the normal restriction against enabling jobs for children.

As such, if you free up a metalsmith forge for your armor savant child and provide sufficient ores and fuel, he will work at the forge and will skill up so fast (due to the +50% experience gain rate) that he will easily become a Legendary +5 and beyond armorsmith by the time he hits adulthood.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2012, 11:16:10 pm »

It's not a bug.  In the Masterwork Mod, children can be born into castes, which include armor savant (natural +10 skill levels in armorsmith, +50% experience gain rate in armorsmith, -50% experience gain rate in everything else), weapon savant  (natural +10 skill levels in weaponsmith, +50% experience gain rate in weaponsmith, -50% experience gain rate in everything else), and so on.

Furthermore, any children who are born as savants automatically get their natural skill turned on as a job, bypassing the normal restriction against enabling jobs for children.

As such, if you free up a metalsmith forge for your armor savant child and provide sufficient ores and fuel, he will work at the forge and will skill up so fast (due to the +50% experience gain rate) that he will easily become a Legendary +5 and beyond armorsmith by the time he hits adulthood.

I'm aware of all that. The fact that the child was doing work is a bug.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2012, 12:20:11 am »

Ah, typos.

Anyway, might it be a dwarf that was vampire-ed as a child?
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2012, 12:26:41 am »

Ah, typos.

Anyway, might it be a dwarf that was vampire-ed as a child?
Yeah, its the rapist.

And, with that said, I don't know. Vampire seems like a good reason.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now