Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: The best games you HATED the story of?  (Read 2854 times)

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
The best games you HATED the story of?
« on: October 22, 2012, 02:46:33 pm »

Yeah, I just created a supervillian to go against that other thread.

So i'll start off with:
Dust: An Elysian Tail.
It was a pretty fun game, the combat was pretty fun, but the npcs are so damn ugly.
The story was semi-boring though.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
And the ending was depressing.
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The best games you HATED the story of?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 02:58:38 pm »

While not the best game, its back on the SNES i think? ANyway it was mickey mouse platforming around, was fun but then in the end he just woke up.... what?? I was a kid right but even as kid you expect better ending than that....
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 03:02:20 pm »

While not the best game, its back on the SNES i think? ANyway it was mickey mouse platforming around, was fun but then in the end he just woke up.... what?? I was a kid right but even as kid you expect better ending than that....

Mickey Mouses Mystic Quest?

That game was AWSOME! Didn't really have a story though.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 03:43:36 pm »

Mickey Mouses Mystic Quest?

That game was AWSOME! Didn't really have a story though.
Yes it was, he was trying to save pluto if i remeber right, man was a very long time ago.

After some search i found that

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disney's_Magical_Quest

I remember playing the first one, i never knew there was 3 of them. Now i feel like diggin out an emulator....
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 03:47:55 pm by jocan2003 »
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 04:15:03 pm »

Don't outright HATE the story, but most of the Suikoden games qualify as this for me. I really like the combat, magic, character recruitment, and base building, but the stories so far (I've played 2, 4 and Tierkreis) kind of bore me once I get about halfway through. In the end I push through to the end just because I like the variety of characters and can keep swapping them out to keep my party fresh. I'm sure it's just an issue of mine, though, because other people praise the series for having some of the better political-themed RPG stories out there.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2012, 04:18:40 pm »

It is sort of... both Bluerobin

Yes Suikeoden 2 is the first game to do a politically charged story in a videogame right... at the same time though. Yes Suikeoden 2 does get boring halfway through.

I love Suikeoden 2 but even I have been put to sleep by it. So I can more then see someone just bored by the whole experience.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 04:21:45 pm by Neonivek »

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2012, 04:26:32 pm »

Wait isnt it Suikeoden where you *unsink* a base from the middle of a lake and then proceed to hire ppl around? later in the game there is like a *strategy* combat? Man there was that game i loved on playstation and this game seem to have the same art style to it.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2012, 04:28:48 pm »

That's why FF is always > Suikoden to me. It's stories are tighter and their characters are more focused (because they don't have 35 of them.)

I guess that explains why I ended up stopping on Suikoden 2 half way through. When you're globe trotting to the different kingdoms trying to stay ahead of Luca's army, the whole thing starts to get boring as shit.

Good games that I hated the story of would probably be.....FFXII. It was a good game, I just couldn't stomach the characters, the story or the aesthetic. Developers, just say no to whiny, snotty teenagers as main characters.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2012, 04:31:08 pm »

Wait isnt it Suikeoden where you *unsink* a base from the middle of a lake and then proceed to hire ppl around? later in the game there is like a *strategy* combat? Man there was that game i loved on playstation and this game seem to have the same art style to it.

Yes Suikeoden 1 and 5 are games where you do just that.

In 2 you steal a castle, in 3 you take a manor, and in 4 you have a boat.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2012, 04:37:35 pm »

I like the 108 characters in the Suikoden games, although it brings up one my paradoxes: I like that some of them are hard to find, but I don't want to have to use a guide to be able to get them all. The boat in 4 confused me a little because I was used to castles, but it worked. That whole game was like Windwaker for me. "OK, I like Zelda games, but why is this entire game on a boat?"

Oh I guess that's another game that qualifies for this thread for me, although I never got more than halfway through Windwaker because I was playing a friend's copy. Still, the gameplay was kind of neat and it's the most fun I've had sailing around in a game before (although that bar's pretty low... and very, very rarely compared against).

Also, bringing up Final Fantasy games, I think FF12 barely qualifies for this thread for me as well. I say "barely" because I'm not sure if I like the gameplay, either. I think I've found a pattern... apparently I'm not a huge fan of political plots.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2012, 04:40:30 pm »

In terms of the game with the most fair method of collecting all the characters... it would be Suikeoden 3

With few exceptions the Detective in 3 actually gives you VERY useful advice on collecting all the characters.

Geen

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm gonna live forever, or die trying.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2012, 05:19:13 pm »

MGS series. Nuff said, though 3 was ok.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2012, 09:55:33 pm »

Yes Suikeoden 1 and 5 are games where you do just that.

In 2 you steal a castle, in 3 you take a manor, and in 4 you have a boat.

Thanks now i need to find a way to play these games then.... great XD i hope PS emulator are stable enough to run them ( Since its emulator i dont know if its still considered pirating if yes tell me and i wont do it again )

Robosaur

• Bay Watcher
  • [POOP:INORGANIC: NUCLEAR_BOMBS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2012, 09:57:53 pm »

xcom

I mean XCMON MAN YOU CAN DO BETTER.
You are a terrible person and the sad truth is deep down you know it.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2012, 09:58:58 pm »

xcom

I mean XCMON MAN YOU CAN DO BETTER.

Yeah until I can think of a better example... yeah the current Xcom is pretty much it.

Great gameplay, terrible story.
Pages: [1] 2 3