Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8

Author Topic: Single Pick Challenge! Terrifying Embark, 7 Peasants, and a Pick! Videos!  (Read 20081 times)

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Single Pick Challenge! Terrifying Embark, 7 Peasants, and a Pick! Videos!
« Reply #90 on: October 27, 2012, 09:16:37 pm »

I've found that if your Butcher is also your Tanner, tanning the hides before they reanimate goes quite quickly, since he grabs the skin immediately after it's slaughtered.

If you're quick, you can also hunt the zombie animals for food and butcher them for food before they reanimate.  4/5 dwarves can't even taste the difference! (Warning: Although butchering live animals is instant, butchering corpses takes time.)

I was able to dispose of a Great Horned Owl blighted soot thrall corpse (say that 5 times fast) that flew in through the hole in my ceiling which I'd opened up to freeze my way through the aquifer.  The corpse got dragged to the butcher, cut up into meat tallow and skin, and then it all got processed into delicious and surprisingly non-contaminated food.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

cam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 28, 2012, 12:05:48 am »

One pick challenge? Hard? Sure, maybe if your a human who doesn't know his forge from his oven.

Lets up this a notch

Update pending until tomorrow

dooots

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 28, 2012, 03:14:05 am »

I've found that if your Butcher is also your Tanner, tanning the hides before they reanimate goes quite quickly, since he grabs the skin immediately after it's slaughtered.

I just tried this in a new fort, the hair instantly reanimated, which gave the skin enough time to reanimate and kill a dwarf.

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 28, 2012, 05:10:50 am »

I just tried this in a new fort, the hair instantly reanimated, which gave the skin enough time to reanimate and kill a dwarf.
Hair reanimated instantly?  Hmm...odd.  I wonder if reanimation times are random, a set amount of time after last death, or occur at fixed intervals.  I have only ever suffered an untimely hair reanimation when my Spinner had just gotten the hair to the farmer's workshop.  I think I will have to look into reanimation times in more detail.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
his sooty foot he put."

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 28, 2012, 05:38:49 am »

Hair reanimated instantly?  Hmm...odd.  I wonder if reanimation times are random, a set amount of time after last death, or occur at fixed intervals.  I have only ever suffered an untimely hair reanimation when my Spinner had just gotten the hair to the farmer's workshop.  I think I will have to look into reanimation times in more detail.
After hearing quotes from you guys, I believe that reanimation times are random. I'm running a terrifying glacier setup with a reanimating biome, and I've found that body parts in this biome don't reanimate instantly.
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

Andrakon

• Bay Watcher
  • [PLAYIN_THE_FOOL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 28, 2012, 08:30:59 am »

No need to do testing or anything, they reanimate weekly according to GoombaGeek:

During my last siege, a cave crocodile head landed on top of a tree in the evil biome to the south of my fortress entrance. I've stationed archers around it, and they mostly keep it dead, but it keeps coming to life right when anyone to cut the tree down and scaring them away.

I looked in the interaction files and discovered that evil biomes checked weekly for re-animated corpses, not daily. So here's my interpretation.
Tetist Agsal, "The Flimsiness of Pools", an obsidian hatch cover. On the item is an image of two flesh balls in iron... ROFLMAO

cam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 28, 2012, 09:40:20 am »

Expedition Leader's log: We set from the mountainhomes with thirty, THIRTY, men and now were down to seven. All the caravan guards died, the head of the expedition got himself eatan by a skeletal yeti and now I'm in charge. All of our supplies were lost to goblin raiders except for our clothes, a few personal belongings and this pick I managed to save. Sneezy has a ragged, torn map. After I look at it I soon wish he hadn't.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Well what the hell are we supposed to work with? We can't butcher our animals, we can't go outside, we can't go underground.

I Might aswell check our surroundings

We have snow, snow, snow, and more snow. I can't say I was expecting anything else.

Oops wait, we have something else besides snow.

Hopefully the bird of prey decides to leave us alone

I start digging down. Everyone has heard stories and tales of the things lurking in evil places. From the living dead to fog that dissolves your eyes. The only safe place is in the earth.

Speaking of the devil I hear shouts of brown clouds over the horizon.

I order everyone into the hole I just dug and Doc blocks off the surface with wood from the wagon.

Everyone gets in safely. Theres no point procrastinating, We don't have any food and I just heard someone's stomach grumble. I start digging down into the caver...I just struck water! I forgot there was an aquifer. Atleast, theres a source of fresh water. I dig out some of the aquifer so we can get something, even something as bland tasteless as water, to drink. While an aquifer is a large challenge, I have some experience from my years in the mountainhomes. I prepare to begin a cave-in.

Meanwhile, these animals are just deadweight if we can't butcher them. So Doc puts them outside to starve. Cruel, but necessary.

I finally manage to collapse two of the aquifer levels before I make a terrifying discovery. The water freezes faster than I can dig out! I have already collapsed a part of the surface even though it means potential exposure to danger, but no one has seen any deadly creatures or fogs since yesterday.

And worse! I can see stone through the ice. Its rocky texture aquiferless texture tantalizing me.

Its been three days since the beginning of the expeditions. In those three days we have been sitting in this hole in the ground, freezing and starving. Occasionaly one of us will get an idea to breach the aquifer, but it is for naught. Then Dopey remembers the animals we moved outside. Everyone gets moving to build a place where we can butcher them and tan their hides before they are brought back to life.

I heard a squeek! I know I heard a squeek. I know sneezy heard a squeek too. There's food out there, out on the surface. attack the only barrier between us and the outside with my pickaxe. Everyone else also heard a squeek. Everyone rushes out in search of the source for that squeek. I need to get to that squeek before them!

A few rhino lizard corpses litter the ground. A few dwarves try to eat them, but are repulsed by the miasma and all the insides are fully rotten.
On the horizon a purple cloud approaches. No one notices except me. I notice the cloud reaching the horse and donkey we left out. I notice the transformation they undergo. I notice one of them running at me. I notice the hoof coming towards me. Then, I notice nothing.

(my game crashed right before all of my guys died from the husked animals, so I wasn't able to get any logs or pictures of seven starving dwarves bleeding to death.)

Meistermoxx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 28, 2012, 12:07:10 pm »

Dwarfify me!
And posting to watch

omg_scout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 28, 2012, 01:29:04 pm »

So I got enrolled into military and got pregnant. Maybe my dorfette thought that if she gets pregnant she will be removed from the squad for some kind of maternal holiday? 8)

cam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 28, 2012, 01:31:12 pm »

So I got enrolled into military and got pregnant. Maybe my dorfette thought that if she gets pregnant she get a more effective shield 8)

FTFY

Maestro Ugo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 28, 2012, 05:44:12 pm »

Just watched your videos and have to say - great job and great fun! And that's fun not FUN.

I do agree that the number of migrants is way too high and destroys the enjoyment of early fort development. I hope toady reduces it to a third or so for the next release...

dooots

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 28, 2012, 08:31:08 pm »

The reanimation timer seems to be random for butchering anyways.

I setup everything for butchering and set an animal to be butchered and saved.  Then loaded the game ten times here are the results.
1: nothing
2: hair reanimated before the tanning finished
3: nothing
4: skin reanimated before the tanning finished
5: nothing
6: nothing
7: nothing
8: nothing
9: nothing
10: skin reanimated before the tanning finished

All runs ended on the 15th of Granite.

Here is ten runs just waiting for something to reanimate.
1: skin 16th
2: skin 15th
3: hair 17th
4: skin 21st
5: skin 20th
6: skin 23rd
7: skin 15th
8: skin 14th - almost instant
9: skin 14th - took about twice as long as 8
10: skin 23rd

All butchering happened on the 14th of Granite.

Andrakon

• Bay Watcher
  • [PLAYIN_THE_FOOL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 28, 2012, 09:51:02 pm »

Woa, thats some good !!Science!! right there! Well then, that blew my (borrowed) "once a week theory" out of the water.
Tetist Agsal, "The Flimsiness of Pools", an obsidian hatch cover. On the item is an image of two flesh balls in iron... ROFLMAO

Fishybang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 28, 2012, 10:38:37 pm »

Could I be dwarfed please Andrakon?
Quote from: AustralianWinter
Rakust finished her design - a skirt called "Clambreaks". I am not touching the woman, ever. And I'm not talking to her either.

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 29, 2012, 03:28:38 am »

In my Sinister Tundra fort, somebody's pet lamb managed to get a dusting of Blighted Soot on its legs, and apparently "...kicks the miner in the left foot with her left rear hoof bruising the muscle through the pigtail fiber shoe" is sufficient to contaminate and Enthrall him.  He has a steel pickaxe and was a High Master miner with a good strength stat prior to infection.

The little lamb also kicked my woodcutter in the upper leg with similar effect (bruising it, and infecting him), although he's only sporting a wooden training axe, and so only shattered the expedition leader's skull when he got infected, rather than the Miner who severed the poor guy's hand.

The caravan guards are letting loose with steel bolts from their crossbows at the lamb, but I'm not certain whether this will be to any effect.  I fear it may become enraged and decide to kick them too with it's hypodermic hooves and I'll end up with a fort full of Thralls.  Or zombies.  Even if I do manage to take down the thralls (unlikely) they're just going to end up resurrecting again.

What I need to know is HOW DID THAT LAMB GET CONTAMINATED?  It's been a fluffy little member of the fort for over a month now, and only turned into an unholy kicking machine after the caravan arrived.  If the merchants tracked something in, why are none of them or their pack animals "Opposed to Life"?

"Urist had a little lamb
it's feet were black with(!) soot,
And everywhere that Urist went
his sooty foot he put...INTO THE NEAREST DWARF TRANSFORMING IT INTO A MURDEROUS ABOMINATION BENT ON THE DESTRUCTION OF ALL LIFE."

The rhyming scheme is a bit off towards the end, but I think it's a fitting epitaph for this fortress.

edit:
(Oh and apparently having the Expedition Leader murdered in mid conversation with the Diplomat makes him "Leave Unhappy".)

edit:
Alarmingly, a merchant's Yak Bull turned Thrall as well and though it had appeared clean when I first looked at it (inventory showed nothing), its hooves are now listed as having a dusting of "Blighted Soot" on them just like the lamb did.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 04:08:34 am by Hans Lemurson »
"Urist had a little lamb
his sooty foot he put."
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8