Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Last night I had the strangest dream I ever dreamed before  (Read 3870 times)

BinaryBeast1010011010

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Last night I had the strangest dream I ever dreamed before
« on: October 18, 2012, 06:10:15 pm »

I dreamed I was a wealthy man, still young, I dreamed I had a custom built overclocked desktop, with a blue water cooling system that circulated around my bedroom before going in and out of the computer case, I had an enormous aquarium shaped to look like a dwarf head with red stroboscopic lights going out of the eyes and a fountain streaming out of its mouth... I was playing dwarf fortress when I fell into the screen and ran through the wires, going around the whole range of ip addresses. Here and there ip cameras shaped as chained kittens watched over the entrance of my home, sending short bursts of data to a system of sentry guns that stood vigilantly, protecting the sleep of my loved ones with kevlar crossbows loaded with depleted uranium quarrels... I went down and down to the cellar and there I saw... I saw a fortress, first I saw a beowulf cluster , then after traveling to the switch I fell again in what felt to be a bottomless pit. It was not falling as much as flying. There was no movement in the darkness, no wind, no noise... nothing. but I knew. I knew I was going somewhere... then, the light. I came crashing down, fell through the canopy of a rain forest, flocks of birds watched me fall then tried to attack me. I was there. A world full of life, with beasts, war, prophecies, disasters but also births, miracles and love. I saw crazed dwarves write thousands of pages of poetry on mugs or goblin bone earrings. I saw that and so much more that I cant recall. I walked through mazes, talked with ageless beings. Played dice with clowns, bet on the outcome of arena fights, drank and feasted in brightly lit halls, saw them crumble as ages passed and time drifted by. I saw most wonderful things, I saw what could be, what should be, I saw things I'd rather not, things that cant be unseen and even if they are but the shadow of a memory that's not even mine; they now keep me from enjoying simpler pleasures.

My point being, if dwarf fortress was to ever be adapted to parallel computing (and maybe multiplayer gaming), how many bay12ers would be ok to join a big cycle-scavenging based program to run a persistent df world?

I know this is a wild hypothesis but eh, let's roll! who would feel like joining?

I for one would gladly invest in a beowulf cluster just for that :D
(ok maybe not, I'd do some bitcoin mining too)

(apologies for spelling/grammar mistakes, english isnt my first language)
cant stop playing DF?
 : (){ :|:& };:

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
Re: Last night I had the strangest dream I ever dreamed before
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 07:56:18 pm »

You've either been spending too much time playing dwarf fortress, or not enough. That's one hell of a dream right there.

Also, anything DF multiplayer wins my vote by default.

VOTE
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 11:29:57 pm »

My eyes kinda glazed over and I skimmed through that, so apologies if I get anything wrong.

A DF Multiplayer is possible, but very, very hard. Not to mention that several Bay12'er occupying the world at real-time would result in people not sleeping, and the game world being wrecked beyond recognition (that is of course unless it's private server-based)
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

BinaryBeast1010011010

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2012, 02:30:17 am »

Not sure about the wrecking the world part.
If df was using parallel computing the world could be made much much bigger. Add to that a vpn system that allows players to group in small number (number decided after thorough testing) and a "living" world evolving even when everyone is offline the world would evolve independently and may "recover" from players actions.

we could have games with say 3 players playing in fortress mode, 6 in dwarf mode waging war to each other civ or cooperating against computer controled civs. It would not necessary need a good connection, just a master node always online.
cant stop playing DF?

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2012, 11:24:24 pm »

In the next version of DF, we're going to have properly persistent worlds that 'keep going' even during Dwarf Mode. This, and the ability to send dwarven armies out from your fortress would make for a truly awesome parallel multiplayer thingy.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Voyd211

• Bay Watcher
  • I am and I am not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2012, 11:49:34 pm »

Huh. And I thought MY dreams were surreal.
Apparently, I am the first person to ever say "Screw You in All Your Finery."

!!SCIENCE!! team has vapor for brains.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

BinaryBeast1010011010

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2012, 08:04:21 am »

yeah I thought of that but you wouldnt be able to flood the ENTIRE world in enough time. Over players would try and keep you fromdoing it. I can already see a number of ways...

Lets take a fortress mode player in this multiplayer setting, lets call him "StarkRavingMad" for an example. He starts a project to flood the world. another player may try and infiltrate his fortress to see what's going on (invisible until detected like a kobold) he'd have to bypass the traps, the patrols, everything. Then he could start doing some terrorism in a gremlin way (lets push this lever) or destroy doors or that kind of thing...

we could play dwarf fortress commando : behind ennemy lines. with a squad of highly trained adventurers a la splinter cell!

I think the hardest part would be to keep a big world animated... with a cycle scavenging scheme everyone would lend a hand...
cant stop playing DF?

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2012, 11:20:57 pm »

Also one problem is time and FPS.

Seeing that for the multiplayer to be coordinated it would have  to run on a slow real-time.

Cassandra

• Bay Watcher
  • Serpent Lady, Slayer of Ancients
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2012, 11:32:26 pm »

Also, adventurers are VERY overpowered in later levels.
Cassandra likes elves for their taste, Cobalt for it's pretty colors, and kittens for their cute intentions. She is incredibly strong, but horribly unlucky, and speaks with a rasping accent. She is white with black eyes. She likes dwarves for their hilarious intentions.

"The fuck do you mean by 'plot'"

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2012, 08:08:34 pm »

Of course. That's how progression works. You do stuff, you win, your character gets more powerful.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2012, 08:44:00 pm »

Of course. That's how progression works. You do stuff, you win, your character gets more powerful.
I think his point is that some crazy adventurer will go and massacre a fort.

Well, of course he could get atom-smashed, but they're not that hard to dodge what with the slowness.

chaosgear

• Bay Watcher
  • Pants-on-head retarded
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2012, 08:50:02 pm »

I had a dream last night that I went to the mall naked.
I just looked at my dresser and decided "I'm not gonna wear clothes today" and marched off in my birthday suit.

Or is that not what this thread was about?
I always seem to end up with a magnificent burial complex and nowhere near enough bodies to fill it, or far too many bodies and nowhere to put any of them.

Cassandra

• Bay Watcher
  • Serpent Lady, Slayer of Ancients
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2012, 09:01:50 pm »

A skilled adventurer is damned powerful, far beyond an elite unit of dwarves, was my point. They can, with enough skill, ignore pretty much all traps, and easily recognize an atom smasher. Leaving only a few defenses that do work. And if it's a whole band of titan slayingadventurers, well... Not to mention, Adventurer Thralls!
Cassandra likes elves for their taste, Cobalt for it's pretty colors, and kittens for their cute intentions. She is incredibly strong, but horribly unlucky, and speaks with a rasping accent. She is white with black eyes. She likes dwarves for their hilarious intentions.

"The fuck do you mean by 'plot'"

BinaryBeast1010011010

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2012, 07:36:10 am »

you can still deal with them like you deal with clown... Obsidian encasing...
cant stop playing DF?
Pages: [1] 2