Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Mod Fusion  (Read 1165 times)

Guylock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Mod Fusion
« on: October 17, 2012, 08:54:31 pm »

Has anyone ever tried fusing a bunch of mods together; just to see wtf happens once it's done?
I was thinking about trying it, I am curious about the results. :P

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
Re: Mod Fusion
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 09:36:22 pm »

Tried it way more work then the worth some mods raws are a nightmare  :'(
Didn't help that fact that Legends of the Forlorn Realms and Masterwork have a lot of same things just put in different places.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 09:38:59 pm by Alkhemia »
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

Guylock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 09:37:46 pm »

ah I see, well I'm going to merge what I can into it and see what happens. :P

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 09:39:49 pm »

Good luck don't go insane  ;D
If you get it to work I'll play it

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

Guylock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2012, 09:44:42 pm »

ok. :P

drilltooth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2012, 09:46:06 pm »

some mods are better documented than others. pays to read stuff. and, make sure the mods are for the current version.
Pinkie pie cancels cook: taken by mood.

Guylock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2012, 09:57:29 pm »

yea, I'll keep that in mind. :P

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2012, 12:04:29 am »

I've combined spiderking50's "rise of the false gods" mod and xangi's "Fear the night" mod
They both cause more/worse night creatures of various types, and some other stuff.

Quite fun, and pretty easy to do, I don't go for a lot of major mods, just minor ones.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

addictgamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Developer
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2012, 12:26:50 am »

I usually end up fusing hundreds of mods into my DF install stole and ending up with a mess that doesn't work half the time and always randomly crashes. What spares me from that chaos is a new DF release, prompting me to play vanilla for a while then slowly start adding in new mods for every new world I generate until I am back at point a.

So yes, I inadvertently end up fusing a bunch of mods together quite often, and it's much less fun and !!FUN!! than it sounds (unless !!FUN!! equates to crashes and your idea of fun is the stress of trying to fix it all or having to revert to a backup or start clean).

Though I might add that it can be worth it sometimes to see crazy malformed beasts running around wielding strange items that cause many weird poofs and clouds of pretty colors all over my screen and kill me in new and interesting ways.
I'm patiently waiting for the ability to mine and construct palaces in adventure mode.
Barony. A 3D, multiplayer roguelike I am developing.

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2012, 01:13:31 am »

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=57074.msg1242453#msg1242453 here the old one that work, It's dead now though.

Akjosch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2012, 03:27:10 am »

The biggest pain are mods which are only available as "whole DF installation" instead of just a package of changed files. You have first to find out which files are changed, then discard any changes which are not part of the mod but simply configuration settings (init parameters, worldgen parameters, graphic sets and so on), then sieve through the raw files to see if any creatures or reactions or whatnot are moved from the original file to a new one for some reason and move them back (so that a merge with another mod works), then check for doubled body parts, tissues, materials, creatures, workshops and so on under slightly different name and kick out one of them ... A lot of work.

I have right now a mix of Genesis (which has a lot of vanilla creatures duplicated under a different name to cut) + Civilisation Forge + Vilous Mod (without the more modern weapons) + Modest Mod + LustDemon + Rhenaya's Drow + Zoo Mod + Botany Mod + some minor tweaks, and while it works ok, I still get the occasional crash and strange situations.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2012, 07:08:04 am »

Some mods are designed to be mixed.  Basically as long as a mod A) doesn't change the base files and B) follows the practice of ensuring all of their added objects are uniquely named by putting a mod-specific designation suffix at the end of their names, it should play fine with any other mod that does the same.

To all future modders reading this: get into the habit of following these two rules if possible, as they will make your mods much more flexible, mixable, and therefore improve their overall popularity at no cost to either the modder or the mod itself!  This goes double for content-adding or fan-based mods: the only thing a fan likes better than playing as their favorite characters is a crossover that lets them play in a world with all of their favorite characters mashed together!

For example, my Rise of the Mushroom Kingdom mod ends every new object's name with '_MW', and IAmAnElfCollaberator's Final Fantasy mod uses the suffix '_FF'.  Both of these mods can therefore be freely mixed with any other mod that leaves the base files untouched (unless by coincidence they also happen to use the same designation for their objects).

Total conversion mods that make heavy use of hacking tools or completely change the structure of the game's files can be excused from these rules.  Masterwork, for instance, does not follow them, but it is already very much a fusion of other popular stand-alone mods (Fear the Night, Dwarf Chocolate, Fortress Defense, and Genesis in addition to the original Masterwork content, plus bits and pieces taken from minor mods), and includes a system that lets you choose which of its various elements you prefer to play with.

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2012, 08:26:09 am »

Some mods are designed to be mixed.  Basically as long as a mod A) doesn't change the base files and B) follows the practice of ensuring all of their added objects are uniquely named by putting a mod-specific designation suffix at the end of their names, it should play fine with any other mod that does the same.

To all future modders reading this: get into the habit of following these two rules if possible, as they will make your mods much more flexible, mixable, and therefore improve their overall popularity at no cost to either the modder or the mod itself!  This goes double for content-adding or fan-based mods: the only thing a fan likes better than playing as their favorite characters is a crossover that lets them play in a world with all of their favorite characters mashed together!

For example, my Rise of the Mushroom Kingdom mod ends every new object's name with '_MW', and IAmAnElfCollaberator's Final Fantasy mod uses the suffix '_FF'.  Both of these mods can therefore be freely mixed with any other mod that leaves the base files untouched (unless by coincidence they also happen to use the same designation for their objects).

Total conversion mods that make heavy use of hacking tools or completely change the structure of the game's files can be excused from these rules.  Masterwork, for instance, does not follow them, but it is already very much a fusion of other popular stand-alone mods (Fear the Night, Dwarf Chocolate, Fortress Defense, and Genesis in addition to the original Masterwork content, plus bits and pieces taken from minor mods), and includes a system that lets you choose which of its various elements you prefer to play with.
To expand on this I recomend adding the suffix to the tagline(first line) of the original raws you edit, as it allows the vanilla files to be sorted out and more easily catch changes to vanilla so increase compatibility. I added _LD to the tagline of the Lust Addled Creatures files for this very reason. You can sort them out even without changing the actual name of the file.
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

Rhenaya

• Bay Watcher
  • Usstan tlun natha hargluk ssinssriggin ilythiiri!
    • View Profile
    • X-Fire Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2012, 08:35:08 am »

thats why i avoid editing any of the existing files with my mods and have new files for everything i need to change. just avoids a lot of hassle. of course if two mods bring the same thing i just use the same file names in them (like my metal mods are incorporated into the drow and alchemist mod)
User Profile: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/User:Rhenaya
Mods: http://dffd.wimbli.com/who.php?id=554

From "Angroshs Kinder" Das schwarze Auge Zwergenhandbuch - (Angrosh Children, the dark eye, german pen&paper, dwarven handbook):
"Elves!? Their men dont wear beards, and their women bathe nacked to lure you into the water and drown you. Thank Angrosh they are as ugly as the day and all big and skinny."

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2012, 12:51:22 pm »

There's a mod called Masterwork, it is a compilation of multiple mods including Genesis, Chocolate DF and many others, plus a lot of Meph's own stuff. Try it, it has most creatures from most good mods existing.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository
Pages: [1] 2