Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Nourishtongs - a player's log  (Read 3162 times)

Ruhn

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Nourishtongs - a player's log
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2012, 04:14:24 pm »

Pretty cool, a couple notes that you may have figured out but not written down:
- There is a leather tanner workshop for the animal skins, if they aren't rotten by now.
- Making the water under wells more than 1z deep fixes the dirty water problem, since only the bottom water layer has the mud.

Not sure if you've seen the topic about dropping socks on your military to make them tougher, it might be a fun project to consider.

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2012, 07:23:15 pm »

Read it all, but for some reason this was my main takeaway:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also, this:
i am looking forward to pulling this lever, way more than is rational
Pretty sure you just summed up DF, right there =D

If the fort is starting to get too stable, it's probably mega-project time. There's nothing like a 50z magmafall at your entrance to welcome1 visitors and cheer up2 your dwarves!

1.incinerate
2.also incinerate
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

Sp00ky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2012, 04:47:58 am »

smirk- Wow thank you, that is amazing
I'm gonna have to let the goose back inside now

Ruhn, thank you. yea in the first couple years of the fort i'd built at least 1 of each type of workshop just to make sure I wasn't missing something. After sending stuff to be butchered, I'd then go and try and que up tanning jobs but be told there was no unrotten hides or whatever.
So i thought it wasn't working, I didn't realise until I found the menu for automatic orders that actually, the hides would have been already tanned automatically

I've built a cistern under the well now that's 2z deep and ~20x20 wide, the outlet is on the upper level. so I can shut off the inlet when doing other projects, without damaging the healthcare facilities for after a battle

the underground tree farm irrigation (the lever i was looking forward to pulling) draws so much water from my brook, that it actually reduces the flow to the well enough to dry it out anyway. so the cistern is needed.
the amount of water wasn't enough though to flood all 3-4 levels of the farm to the edges at the same time, so I'm blocking it off again and am going to re-do the lower levels one level at a time

the forgotten beast has been unleashed from behind the wall he was trapped behind. the access corridor had 10-12 doors for him to smash his way through, this was way more than needed. my dwarf got back to safety before the beast had smashed 2 doors down. FB still not pathed to where I want him yet, but doesn't have any access into my fort so is safe and just a matter of time, and keeping an eye on it.

Sp00ky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2012, 06:04:28 am »

progress continues, though it has been more laborious than previously, it probably doesn't help that the bottom of my fort is hundreds of tiles away from the top, and i'm getting 10-20 fps so it feels like everything takes forever.

the tree farm flooding project is complete, all levels watered then evaporated. I've now got access to way more wood than i'll ever need, even if i decide to build a load of waterwheels or something, but i guess it means i can start using wood instead of copper for wheelbarrows, barrels, bins, cages, etc

the 6 ballistas have been replaced with all-masterwork parts. 2 test firings still both went straight into the side-wall though. sigh

my defences (archer bunker, and ballista path) still haven't been used properly yet because i keep getting civilians roaming them so then i have to send in the melee troops and go toe-to-toe.
i've been leaving a path open to attackers so they can follow the route into my fort in order to send them past the defences, but i think the answer instead would be to put a bait-animal at the end of the route and shut off actual access into my fort. that'd stop my dwarves being retarded and ruining my schemes.
my other choice would be to just spam a hundred cage traps but that seems too cheap, and it wouldn't be good to rely on them against titans or similar.

the vampires clothes are rotting off their bodies, and i'm not inclined to replace them, so they're tantruming and melancholy. they don't seem to die from going insane though, so i'll just ignore it. i've stopped using them if i want levers pulled, due to being so unmotivated they are less reliable than using a random idler

I dug down and found the effective bottom of the map, semi molten rock at level -170ish. then dug upwards a bit and found cavern level 3, adamantium, the magma sea, and a magma pipe, all within 5-10 levels of the bottom of the map.
i've not done anything with the adamantium or the magma yet.

the magma pipe rises into a corner of cavern 3, and i'm walling off that section. the wall is complete now to block non-flyers, and its only 1-4 levels deep there so i'm walling it off completely even against flyers, a landgrab to make the magma pipe become a permanent and safe part of my fortress.
i guess i should floor over the top of the pipe actually in case of flying magma creatures, unlikely perhaps though (the bottom of cavern 3 has water, i could maybe seal the top of the pipe with obsidian, seems dwarfy)

once its secure, I will start pondering if its worth the hassle of pumping magma up, pistoning magma up, or moving all my metal industry down. either way its a move of 160 zlevels, not sure if i have enough interest. i've currently got enough coal/wood to keep my metalwork at the top of the fort
I've got ~2600 iron bars, it'd use half of that if i made a pump stack out of iron (5 bars per pump plus 2 doors, per level)

if i try and bring magma up, i don't think there's anywhere i can do it in a single stack, there's too much cavern all over the map. so it'd be in stages which i guess is easier

the forgotten beast that spits web, is fortunately in the silk farm now and produces silk without needing a path to the target animal. the farm was badly designed though, i was having problems with the area he's in was too big, so sometimes he'd not be close enough to the targets so that he wouldn't spray.
i've lured him out of the farm temporarily, so that i can redesign it. i can't do it like the cavespider design though as i can't pit him if i can't catch him in traps. still need to decide how i want it to work

a new forgotten beast has turned up, in cavern level 1. fortunately it can't fly so it is just stuck behind a wall like a lemon. i don't feel like engaging it as it has deadly spittle, so it can stay there.
the dwarves are all still eagerly running around cavern 1 and 2, collecting webs. i'm gonna get them back inside the fort and shut off access to 1 and 2 as i don't need to go in there now that they're explored and i don't want the risk of flyers getting in.

Sp00ky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2013, 08:15:10 am »

Nourishtongs is no more, sadly. i wiped my hard drive and didn't bother to keep it
It'd died an FPS death basically. the fort was too big and too labyrinthine, walk distances of up to 600 tiles, so construction took forever.

After a 6-month break I started a new fortress, Mortalboat. its tale is told here:

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=125389.0
Pages: 1 [2]