Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Tower Megaproject. Should I do it?  (Read 4274 times)

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
Re: Tower Megaproject. Should I do it?
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2012, 12:43:44 pm »

I'm going to do it fairly.  No modding.  If !!FUN!! happens and I fail, that's Dwarf Fortress.  It's more important to make the attempt, than to achieve it safely.

Excellent. You can always reclaim! (Unless your site is populated by thralls or husks, that is.)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2012, 12:50:35 pm »

There's only one last thing to say. Good luck, and have Fun.

DarthMetool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2012, 04:57:30 pm »

Quick question.  Does a gear assembly allow magma to flow over it?  Trying to figure out how to build the pump stack for the magma.
Huh, city stuff?  Weird. http://city-ofdarth.myminicity.com

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2012, 05:20:21 pm »

Also, are you confident that your computer can survive the FPS brutality that this would be?

The cavern layers plus the 100 Z levels would likely strain your comp to it's limits.
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

DarthMetool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2012, 05:25:14 pm »

Also, are you confident that your computer can survive the FPS brutality that this would be?

The cavern layers plus the 100 Z levels would likely strain your comp to it's limits.

Not sure, but with recent innovations in magma pump stacks, I should be okay.  This will really test out my laptop, I think.

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2012, 07:39:12 pm »

Not sure, but with recent innovations in magma pump stacks, I should be okay.  This will really test out my laptop, I think.
DF FPS is weird though. It's combination of lag based off the Comp's capabilities and an uncontrollable lag from the lack of streamlining DF has.
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2012, 03:40:39 pm »

Have you considered using minecarts for the magma? I assume you're using it for buildings and not for pouring, so you won't need much. Once you've dealt with the power requirements for getting the minecart in and out of the magma and onto the 2x2 spiral, you only need 14 power for every 8 levels. Bring the magma up into a 1x1 shaft that's as many levels as you need to fill the tunnel that'll power all your forges, then when it's full open the floodgate at the bottom and let the magma into the tunnel. I say tunnel because it's better to keep everything enclosed until the magma is settled and definitely has no pressure, at which point you start making the channels.

Or you could just dump your magma straight into the forge area, if you're not trying to fill many tiles. You'll lose some to evaporation, but once you can get some 2/7 tiles sloshing around filling the rest of the channel will be easy.

You'll also need something to tell the system to stop bringing the magma once you have enough of it. The following should work automatically:

Code: [Select]
_ = floor (forge area)
= = track stop (dumps to the right)
pP = pump (left -> right)
X = floodgate
~ = magma
^ = pressure plate

The pressure plate is triggered when it detects 3/7 or greater magma, which will happen once the magma tunnel is full and the pump has nowhere to put the magma dumped into its intake tile (this is when you close the floodgate. Alternatively, use a bucketful of water to make a safer natural terrain plug). Once the plate is triggered, it halts the magma-adding process. It's up to you how this happens, but I would favour diverting the cart so that it runs into a holding area instead of dropping back into the magma. Maybe the holding area could be a possibly inaccessible dead end which is also a link-only minecart stockpile, as dwarves like to take off-route minecarts to a stockpile before putting them back onto a stop.

Comedy option: skip the pressure plate and arrange the power train in such a way that once the magma starts backing up in and eventually overflowing the pump intake tile, the slowly-overflowing magma wil burn out an essential axle before going far.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2012, 08:52:02 pm »

Should you do it? What a stupid question.
YES.
The question itself isn't stupid, it's just simply moot. The fact is that since he posted about it, he MUST do it. Or he risks being forever labeled an elf.
Is it stupid to ask a question you know what the answer will be? Seriously, how often have we looked at a megaproject and said, "No, this is wasteful and stupid."?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Minnakht

• Bay Watcher
  • Green Eyed Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2012, 06:49:37 am »

I assume you're using it for buildings and not for pouring, so you won't need much.

The base of the tower will hold a 7 Z-level high lobby with alternating (and separated) inner magma and waterfalls,

So yeah, looks like he wants magmafalls. That's job for a pump stack, not minecarts - unless minecarts just bring enough magma up for it to be recycled by internal pump stacks.
Giant badgers are cruel saddistic balls of fur and hate. Did anyone know they could paint a wall with a single dwarven baby?.... You know what, I made the Giant badgers sound like sane DF players.
A Kea has stolen a coke!

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2012, 07:31:28 am »

I see the thread has become quite developed, but my initial response to a thread entitled "<foo> Megaproject.  Should I do it?" would generally be "Of course.  Why not?"

Logistics aside, of course, but it sounds like you've got some ways round it suggested.

Valrandir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Voxcel
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2012, 08:38:55 am »

I'm going to do it fairly.  No modding.  If !!FUN!! happens and I fail, that's Dwarf Fortress.  It's more important to make the attempt, than to achieve it safely.

This ^

I like this.
A megaproject is pointless if done with siege off / modding.

DarthMetool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2012, 02:15:02 pm »

Did some checking of the history file, and it seems the goblins were all killed off back before 600.  Seems that Goblins and Humans are literally ancient history.  Anyway, once I get the non-falls lobby done, I'll post pics.

EDIT: "Expletive Deleted!"  Werebear...  has arrived.

UPDATE:  Pheeeeew!!  Werebear turned into a cowardly elf just as it was getting into combat with a dwarf.  No injuries, thank Armok.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 03:02:17 pm by DarthMetool »

DarthMetool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2012, 02:45:53 pm »

I haven't been able to find anything about the interaction of mist from a water fall and magma anywhere....  so I built a test chamber.  For Science.  Once I have everything ready, I'll record it as a movie and post it to Youtube.  After that, I'll post a link to it here so you guys can see the results.  I'm hoping for good results.  If not, well, that's Dwarf Fortress, right?

EDIT: Taking suggestions on how to make a video of this in the easiest way possible.  -_-*
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 04:18:52 pm by DarthMetool »

DarthMetool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2012, 04:48:35 pm »

I haven't been able to find anything about the interaction of mist from a water fall and magma anywhere....  so I built a test chamber.

And here is the remains of Test Chamber 1 and the construction of Test Chamber 2.  I know I lost a dwarf when I started the test, but I can't find the body now.  Oh, well.  He gave his life for !!SCIENCE!!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 04:59:36 pm by DarthMetool »

DarthMetool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2012, 08:56:59 pm »

Test Chamber 2
Okay.  After the first test failed, I set up a second test called Test Chamber 2.

This is the upper level above the room itself.  The two north-facing halls are above the fluid channels, with the end of the halls being where I had the wall for Test Chamber 1 channeled out to provide access to the magma and water.

This is the top level of the test chamber, showing where the falls are supposed to start.  They are recessed to keep the flows separate.

And here is the floor of the chamber (which is nine levels in height), showing the drains to carry the fluid down to separate holding tanks.

Shown here are the holding tanks for the magma and water streams.  The drains are two levels deep, instead of one which I think caused the problem of obsidian creation in the first test.

Here is the beginning of the test.

And the results.

I labeled that picture TS2success a little prematurely, as the recessed channels for the fluids to fall down were too shallow, and water started splashing into the magmafall, causing obsidian, and plugging the magma drain.  Test Chamber 2, like Test Chamber 1 is now full of a mix of water, magma, and the obsidian that separates them.

Things I'd like to accomplish, now that I'm looking at DFwiki's mega projects page:
  Casting - The Hammer of Urist will be at the top of the tower, and will be 10 Z-levels tall and 21 paces in diameter.
  Castle - Doesn't really count, since I'm going to have floor levels underground all the way to the magma sea, but I do plan to make the
       tower 100 Z-levels tall.
  How high can you go? - I'm going for the maximum height allowed.  Then pump magma and water all the way up to cast the Hammer.

Also, trying for the following Stupid Dwarf Tricks:
  Artificial Waterfall: Does it count for the MegaDwarf Bonus EXTREME+ if the water and magma are separated by a 2 by 1 barrier?
  Obsidian Factory:  This is what it's going to take to make the Hammer of Urist at the top of the tower.
  Self Destruct Lever:  Will be attached to the Hammer to let it crash down through the tower.
Pages: 1 [2] 3