Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sparring in water  (Read 653 times)

Robertgoss30

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Sparring in water
« on: October 15, 2012, 10:17:32 pm »

I was making a sparring arena in my latest fortress and I thought it'd be neat-o if you had the dwarves train in shallow water their experience would climb higher because of the added weight that they would have.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sparring in water
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 10:57:04 pm »

I was making a sparring arena in my latest fortress and I thought it'd be neat-o if you had the dwarves train in shallow water their experience would climb higher because of the added weight that they would have.

It is quality not quantity.

Fighting in waist deep water would not make you any more skilled at swordmenship. It would however be good for conditioning and teaching you how to fight in that exact same situation.

But currently the game doesn't support "Attribute training" like lifting weights, jogging, or Yoga.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 11:00:01 pm »

Dwarven yoga; now that's a suggestion.

Robertgoss30

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 01:08:03 am »

Fighting in waist deep water would not make you any more skilled at swordmenship. It would however be good for conditioning and teaching you how to fight in that exact same situation.

That's what I meant, not the weapon or armor skills, just strength/endurance training.

Revanchist

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you for helping us help you help us all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 02:22:59 pm »

Sounds like a fair arguement. I wouldn't mind an army tailored to my regions needs.
Definition: 'Love' is making a shot to the knees of a target 120 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope... Love is knowing your target, putting them in your targeting reticule, and together, achieving a singular purpose against statistically long odds."

People love a happy ending. So every episode, I will explain once again that I don't like people. And then Mal will shoot someone. Someone we like. And their puppy.

Bytyan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 06:34:07 pm »

I made a danger room once that was hooked up to my reactor, constantly filling an emptying. It turned a beautiful shade of red.

Revanchist

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you for helping us help you help us all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2012, 08:44:29 pm »

Elf blood red?

Pleasesayyespleasesayyespleasesayyes
Definition: 'Love' is making a shot to the knees of a target 120 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope... Love is knowing your target, putting them in your targeting reticule, and together, achieving a singular purpose against statistically long odds."

People love a happy ending. So every episode, I will explain once again that I don't like people. And then Mal will shoot someone. Someone we like. And their puppy.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2012, 09:15:07 pm »

The added weight? Huh? If anything, weight would be lower due to buoyancy...
I could see dwarves trying to train swimming and fighting simultaneously, but I'm having trouble seeing it work.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2012, 09:23:42 pm »

I believe what he means is the dwarves' clothes get wet, thus adding to the weight they have to carry around.
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

Robertgoss30

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2012, 09:59:13 pm »

I believe what he means is the dwarves' clothes get wet, thus adding to the weight they have to carry around.

Yeah, that's what I mean, please excuse my bad English and how I tend to not fully explain myself. Haha.

Bytyan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2012, 10:55:29 pm »

Elf blood red?

Elf blood is so thin,
like water or oil, preferred
is hearty dwarven red

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2012, 12:12:35 pm »

Elf blood red?

Elf blood is so thin,
like water or oil, preferred
is hearty dwarf blood.
Edited for Haiku.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.