Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The opossum has been found dead. We think...  (Read 1446 times)

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
The opossum has been found dead. We think...
« on: October 15, 2012, 03:32:01 pm »

There needs to be some mystery in the term, dead.  Especially in a game with so many undead and opossums.  Would be cool if certain wild skillsets, were given the Feign Dead, skill.  To throw off CSI:Armok.  And generally spice up the medical profession.  Some of these dead, when placed in burial receptacle, should get back out, and proceed upon their merry way, if they roll successfully.  I just don't see medieval medicine being, or pathology, being so good, that EVERY time a body is found, its correctly scored, Living and Dead.  Some mistakes, here, could be loads of ˇFUN!
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Revanchist

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you for helping us help you help us all.
    • View Profile
Re: The opossum has been found dead. We think...
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 06:41:14 pm »

How about faking death, along with whatever other abilities our insane very competent modders feel the need to create? Such as, for example, raising/lowering body temperature by several Urist (enough to not freeze to death, maybe) over time, or for the more nercosis-oriented, actually rotting while you wait for a chance to strike?
Definition: 'Love' is making a shot to the knees of a target 120 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope... Love is knowing your target, putting them in your targeting reticule, and together, achieving a singular purpose against statistically long odds."

People love a happy ending. So every episode, I will explain once again that I don't like people. And then Mal will shoot someone. Someone we like. And their puppy.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 06:46:30 pm »

How about faking death, along with whatever other abilities our insane very competent modders feel the need to create? Such as, for example, raising/lowering body temperature by several Urist (enough to not freeze to death, maybe) over time, or for the more nercosis-oriented, actually rotting while you wait for a chance to strike?

Death-like effects are kinda difficult when we can't affect much what the player sees in terms of creature properties.

Revanchist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2012, 06:53:09 pm »

I think I had minor derailment there, and veered into adventure mode territory. My apologies.
Definition: 'Love' is making a shot to the knees of a target 120 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope... Love is knowing your target, putting them in your targeting reticule, and together, achieving a singular purpose against statistically long odds."

People love a happy ending. So every episode, I will explain once again that I don't like people. And then Mal will shoot someone. Someone we like. And their puppy.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2012, 07:07:09 pm »

This sounds like a neat idea, and not one that's been suggested a lot.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Jables

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2012, 07:51:50 pm »

I definitely support this and the FUN it will cause for both Fortress and Adventure mode. I'm thinking syndromes that cause death-like paralysis. We'll first need bodies to act as containers (worn items stay attached to corpses instead of being dropped when someone dies), but that's planned and hopefully will go in relatively soon.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2012, 02:24:42 pm »

In Discworld some of the best lawyers are Undead.  They draw their legal expertise from previous lives they have lead.  These friendly Undead, could and should provide help to the workforce, with or without a Necromancer, in evil Biomes.  Maybe have whether a posthumus sentient entitiy(dwarf in this case) are friendly Undead, have some afterlife connection to a developed, or progressed psychic attribute.

That's Discworld... 

@Revanchist, some of the best suggestions on this forum are derailed.  I've NP whatsoever, with derailment, none whatsoever.  Thanks for taking the time to reply.

@Jables, I have no problem with an entity leaving the coffin wearing nothing at all.  But I could see how butt-nekkidness might distort things for the ESRB, if DF were to go mainstream.  I bow to this, as I wouldn't want to jeopardize that, eventuality.

It just occured to me, that Undead do not show up in the catagory of Dead, when viewing Unit lists tabs.  This maybe a constraining factor also.  In addition to the items.

I just can't paraphrase enough the jolly fun I could have with this.  A Snail man, presumed slain, at first encounter; but low and behold, comes out of his coffin to aid the seven rag tag dwarfs on their merry way to subregion supremacy; leaving gooey goodness in every engraved knook and cranny.
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.

Trebor1503

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2012, 01:00:43 pm »

The idea of "Mostly Dead" harkens back to the Monty Python skit "Bring out your Dead". This thought had brought such a smile to my face and the next time I boot up the game only to have a mortally wounded dwarf hiding in bed, having 20 messages about failed tasks spawned because he is "too injured" I just know I am going to be thinking about this again.

Why won't he just die?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2012, 05:22:37 pm »

It reminds me of The Princess Bride, actually. But this is getting off-topic. Unless we want to talk abiut dwarves  checking that their friends are dead before checking their pockets for loose change or somesuch.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Revanchist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2012, 05:30:33 pm »

Or at least stealing their socks...
Speaking of, don't organics drop everything once they die. Pretty pointless to add this until that's weeded out.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2012, 05:32:08 pm »

Or at least stealing their socks...
Speaking of, don't organics drop everything once they die. Pretty pointless to add this until that's weeded out.

Yeah, corpses-as-containers would be a prerequisite for this.

Robosaur

• Bay Watcher
  • [POOP:INORGANIC: NUCLEAR_BOMBS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2012, 08:19:57 pm »

You begin cutting the -Tauntaun corpse-!
You finish cutting the -Tauntaun corpse-!

Bedtime.
You are a terrible person and the sad truth is deep down you know it.

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2012, 02:36:41 am »

When I read the topic title, I expected it to be something along the lines of being told a suspected cause of death when a dead creature is found (Urist McMissing appears to have had his legs severed before dying. Urist McSkeletal died.... Somehow, in any case. Urist McVictim seems to be missing all of his blood), because we have a very few specific death messages. Either vampired, starved, dehydrated, or just plain dead. I thought a bit of mystery and deduction on the part of the dwarves was a cool idea, and I was all fired up and ready to support that.

The fact that opossums were mentioned in the title should have tipped me off, really. Anyway, feigning death is something that should be added as well.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2012, 01:32:58 pm »

cause of death

I prefer less information about the cause of death, and prefer, they handle it more quietly, myself.  Maybe an option in orders to shut the sheriff up.  Ever have a vulture visit, just after you chicks hatch?  Oh, the spam.  Chick missing, bleh bleh.  Chick missing, bleh bleh.  Chick found, bleh bleh.  Chick found, bleh bleh.  I'd rather not hear about roadkill messages myself.  I just want them handled. 

But in as much, as the cause of death with regards to thinking entities; I'd enjoy hearing more about it.  Yeah, certainly.  That would improve my gameplay.  If it were strictly kept to the weapon used to deliver the lethal blow and the organ damaged.  I've always wondered why, DF, unlike MUDs didn't have a killing blow msg in the scroll.  Combat just usually ends with a headshot, or heart puncture.

Its a little annoying to have to use DFhack to find the cause of death.  @Model 42, Did you know there was a DFhack for what you want?  Stinks going out of the game for it, I agree.  Knutor