Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The Worst Games You Bought because your Friends Were  (Read 5099 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Worst Games You Bought because your Friends Were
« on: October 15, 2012, 01:41:44 am »

So I was thinking about friends and the lengths we will go through just to make sure we are spending time with them either online or offline.

I also thought of the worst videogame experiences I ever had in trying to keep up with the fun. That game would be DeadIsland.

Now whether or not you liked DeadIsland let me just explain myself. It didn't take me long to realise that the trailer for the game was a fake especially when certain elements came to light, such as recipes, whether you like it or not I personally knew I was NOT going to like the game and that it was going to be boring and repetative.

My friends however were totally fooled and saw this game as a zombie horror sandbox with emotional depth and interesting survival mechanics and there was nothing I could say to convince them. Anyone who has spoken to me while I was complaining KNOWS that I never explain things well or fully enough to be convincing, I just give my unsupported oppinions. So the fact that I have no ability to warn my friends otherwise should come as no surprise.

It then entered the point where I had to chose if I am to buy or not to buy the game. Now I could not buy the game and then spend the next weeks alone while my friends have fun without me, and this was at a time where I barely seen anyone and no one talks to me, or I could buy it and just withstand a rather terrible game.

So I bought it and we played it exactly once. It had a new game + and I think we may have fast tracked that... but otherwise it was something we never really want to play again.

But what about you? What was the worst thing you have ever bought or played for extended periods of time just because your friends were?

Or heck... How about this? What game did you ONLY play because your friends made you but were surprised you actually liked?

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
Re: The Worst Games You Bought because your Friends Were
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 02:01:12 am »

I bought resident evil 6 because my brother came over to visit and I thought it would be fun. We played the Leon campaign up to the cathedral.

It was an "okay" game I guess, I heard the different campaigns play different though.
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 02:03:14 am »

left for dead (both, got them cheap)

I got them because it was damn fun in multiplayer against strangers with the occasional troll.

but it became unfun because skill level was to diverse across friends and this made difficulty too hard or too sloppy for half the team to have fun.

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2012, 02:03:58 am »

Supreme commander 2, he bought it for me and its really horrible nothing like the first one now he insists that we play it. I tend to make excuses why I can't play though.
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2012, 02:08:24 am »

Ty the Tasmanian Tiger 2... and it was fun even, but only on MTS3K riffing terms.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2012, 02:21:06 am »

Or heck... How about this? What game did you ONLY play because your friends made you but were surprised you actually liked?
DotA and DF. DotA had the learning curve, which I took to be a challenge instead. And then of course I was surprised at how bad a lot of other players are. As for DF, my friend and RPS didn't do the game enough justice. They forgot to mention magma. And waterfalls. And seasonal freezing biomes. And werecreatures. And forgotten beasts. And zombies.
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2012, 02:22:06 am »

Supreme commander 2, he bought it for me and its really horrible nothing like the first one now he insists that we play it. I tend to make excuses why I can't play though.

propose him zero-k (it's free)

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2012, 02:28:50 am »

The worst game I bought because friends were...I don't know. I'm usually the one having others buy new games which may or may not be a success :P

Age of Empires III. I was quite hesitant to buy the game as I thought it'd be really monotonous after a few games but after 9 months we're still playing it once every week or something. I'm glad he convinced me to buy it :)

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2012, 02:44:01 am »

A friend convinced me into buying Warcraft 3 so that we could play multiplayer. I found the game really boring, though. Like I hate RTSes where the units just dispassionately smack each other over the head for 10 minutes while horrible particle effects flood the screen. And this was basically that nightmare come true. It didn't help that that guy was much more into these sorts of RTSes and could kick my ass easily. Eventually I just "lended" it to someone else who would enjoy it (without ever asking to return it).

Don't think I've allowed friends to influence my purchasing decisions that much since then, though.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2012, 03:08:29 am »

Let's see, a friend once bought me Grand Ages: Rome an absolutely shallow game that I never played past an hour... I haven't spoken to that 'friend' since.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2012, 03:10:44 am »

A friend convinced me into buying Warcraft 3 so that we could play multiplayer. I found the game really boring, though. Like I hate RTSes where the units just dispassionately smack each other over the head for 10 minutes while horrible particle effects flood the screen. And this was basically that nightmare come true. It didn't help that that guy was much more into these sorts of RTSes and could kick my ass easily. Eventually I just "lended" it to someone else who would enjoy it (without ever asking to return it).

Don't think I've allowed friends to influence my purchasing decisions that much since then, though.

I love Warcraft for the custom maps. The base game can kiss my ass, I've played decade old RTS games with better strategic depth and gameplay.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2012, 05:15:44 am »

Dead Island was quite a dissapointment, especially considering the cost of the game. We had some fun lodging all the available vehicles in trees (while we kept trying to free the previous vehicle) though. Multiplayer was miserable to get working. For some reason you have to load into the singpleplayer to load into the multiplayer ("smooth" transition between SP and MP my ass, this game wants me to die from old age before I can even play it with friends)

A friend preordered that LOTR game that was relatively recently launched. He tried to convince me to preorder it. I nearly did. I am glad I did not.

As for game that I unexpectadly liked:

Supreme Commander 2. Yes, there is alot of dislike for this game. And if the first one diddn't slow down to 1/8 speed when stuff started happening it definetely would have been superior. But unfortunetely it did, and SC2 actually managed to run mostly full speed most of the time. In both games, "cooperative" MP usually turned into some sort of nuclear cold-war. We usually all lost.

Magicka. "A parody RPG thing, I dunno..." Absolute riot. Playing with friends and it is endless laughing. Seriously, even the (numerous) bugs are hilarious.

This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

hachnslay

• Bay Watcher
  • 09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2012, 09:55:38 am »

Diablo 3

More of a "they got me to preorder it" thing.
I thought it would be fun to play a Diablo game again. The last one i believe was Diablo 2 1.09 LOD, when synergies between skills were introduced.
Anyway, my friends insisted that i would play with them on day 0 - after i finally got into the game for the first time they were already at the end of act 3.
I never caught up to them, and playing through the same bad story multiple time was not an option. I quit halfway through hell. Permanently.
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master
--Alpha Centauri ,Pravin Lal

dei

• Bay Watcher
  • Someone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2012, 10:32:05 am »

Off the top of my head, Everquest 2. I had some "friends" who later turned out to be some kind of delusional group of hipsters that thought they were Wiccan-Catholic vampire otherkin who were the real-life equivalent of the cast of Charmed that loved picking on the disabled like myself and they were obsessed with Everquest 2. My computer couldn't play the damn game very well and I ended up quitting anyways after I got sent to the psych ward due to their bullshit making me think I was a wood elf who could teleport with the aid of fairies who lived in an abandoned parking lot.

My biggest regret is that this all happened without the aid of hallucinogens. Needless to say I didn't want to go back to college after that.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2012, 10:37:07 am »

Off the top of my head, Everquest 2. I had some "friends" who later turned out to be some kind of delusional group of hipsters that thought they were Wiccan-Catholic vampire otherkin who were the real-life equivalent of the cast of Charmed that loved picking on the disabled like myself and they were obsessed with Everquest 2. My computer couldn't play the damn game very well and I ended up quitting anyways after I got sent to the psych ward due to their bullshit making me think I was a wood elf who could teleport with the aid of fairies who lived in an abandoned parking lot.

My biggest regret is that this all happened without the aid of hallucinogens. Needless to say I didn't want to go back to college after that.

General Discussion NOW.  You have to share the entire story.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth
Pages: [1] 2