Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Need a new game like DF  (Read 4423 times)

Akazukin

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Need a new game like DF
« on: October 12, 2012, 03:03:43 am »

I'm pretty new to DF, but I finally got used to some of the more complex parts of the game. Lately I've been in the mood for something a bit more casual, with the same premise as DF though. I want a game where you build a kingdom from the ground up, manage resources and all that fun stuff. Most importantly though, I want to have the same control over defending my kingdom, having moats made out of magma, spike traps, war dogs on every corner, being able to flood a room full of enemies or an entire floor full of em if you feel like it.. Just everything about building up your forts defenses is fun to me. So is there any other game that you can get that complex with? So if anyone knows a game like this, that'd be awesome..
Thanks in advance :)

Kolnukbyne

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great laziness.
    • View Profile
Re: Need a new game like DF
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2012, 03:41:28 am »

I'm not sure it's quite as complex but you could certainly try Towns, which is roughly the same premise as the fortress mode but not quite as hard and I believe it has a focus on delving into the underground and sending adventurers that visit your town down there or something. I'm not sure, I haven't actually played it. Alternatively you could try Gnomoria which I hear is like towns but a bit more Dwarf Fortressy. Dwarf Fortressy.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2012, 03:43:35 am »

Also dont just make a thread. Look through the games subfourm. Many of us find gems like what your after or like in the case of Towns. Make them...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2012, 03:50:47 am »

Well there are several indie games like DF.
Gnomoria and Towns for example are games based off DF but more focused on the interface than extra features.

Among mainstream games DF alikes are pretty much nonexistant but if i were to point out several games id say:

Evil Genius

As the Evil Genius build your very own EVIL lair protect it with faceless minions, amazing henchmen and a needlessly (until a superagent arrives) complicated trap system.

The research system in this game is a bit wonky but it's still a good game to try.

Stronghold

Quite a bit of flexibility in creating castle defenses with things like towers of several sizes and shapes spike pits rabid dogs ignitable tar pits and more.

Castle Strike

A cross of stronghold and Age of Empires.

Cultures

If you can forsake building fortifications for the sake of having dorflike vikings building a primitive economy then cultures is for you.

Wiggles

Same as cultures but underground (also we're back to commanding dwarves).

Alien nations 1-2

see: Cultures

Minecraft

If you really want you can build a needlessly complicated trap system and automatically kill and even harvest spawning animals/monsters.

Aaand... i think i'm out of ideas.

There are also several games in development such as "Game of Dwarves" or "Clockwork Empire" you can follow if you want.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2012, 03:53:48 am »

Gnomoria and Towns for example are games based off DF but more focused on the interface than extra features.

Must disagree here. have you played towns?

Akazukin

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2012, 04:09:00 am »

Thanks for the quick responses. I've been keeping an eye on Gnomoria, just waiting for it to be updated a bit more. Gonna give towns a try too. I've tried most of the other games listed, really liked the Stronghold games, but there just isn't enough customization to keep me playing. And Games of Dwarves definitely has me interested. Lately I've been hopping on Minecraft, building up a fortress with some extremely unnecessary traps, then mass spawning werewolves, zombies, and creepers to see how long I can hold out.. nice little diversion. Anyway, gonna start giving some of these games a try. Any more suggestions would be much appreciated.

Dr. Johbson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2012, 05:10:26 am »

Wiggles

Do you perhaps mean Diggles? My quick search of Wiggles lead me to Diggles, although it was in a different language.

Either way, Diggles/Wiggles is quite fun and I recommend it, although it has not aged well. I never did get into the campaign, the skirmishes were fun enough for me, I imagine the fun would be even more fun if you actually got someone else to play with you.

Also, Evil Genius is one of my favourite games of all time, and if you (or anyone else) haven't played it yet, please do, it looks pretty still and plays fantastic.

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2012, 05:15:06 am »

I think one I saw that didn't look too MLG was called... Timber and Stone or something, it looked pretty good.
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

Stworca

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron Tad
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2012, 05:28:33 am »

Wiggles

Do you perhaps mean Diggles?

It is the same game, yes. It's nigh impossible to obtain it these days.
I just ramble incoherently for absolutely no reason.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2012, 05:39:11 am »

Wiggles

Wiggles was the German and Polish name for it.
England and USA got the title translated into Diggles.
And the Russian name was Gnomy if my memory is correct.

No but i saw several streams and Youtube videos and aside of several differences it plays pretty much like a "hill Dwarf" settlement with zoning, workshops, independant/suicidal citzens ETC.

Mind you it's not a direct copy but closer than any non indie game ever got so i called it up along with gnomoria.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 05:44:22 am by Sonlirain »
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2012, 01:19:19 pm »

I think at this point we should assign DF a genre.  Like, simulation builder, or something like that.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2012, 10:26:10 pm »

I think at this point we should assign DF a genre.  Like, simulation builder, or something like that.
'DF-like'
Sounds about right. I can't find anything better than that for Gnomoria and Game of Dwarves.

bQt31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2012, 02:15:07 am »

'DF-like'
Sounds about right. I can't find anything better than that for Gnomoria and Game of Dwarves.

I'd go with "DF like but not quite"

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2012, 05:53:37 am »

Wiggles

Wiggles was the German and Polish name for it.
England and USA got the title translated into Diggles.
And the Russian name was Gnomy if my memory is correct.

No but i saw several streams and Youtube videos and aside of several differences it plays pretty much like a "hill Dwarf" settlement with zoning, workshops, independant/suicidal citzens ETC.

Mind you it's not a direct copy but closer than any non indie game ever got so i called it up along with gnomoria.

Well, main difference is that there are heroes that visit your town and explore on their own, and there are dungeons below ground. yes, the basic frame is a DF like, but its far different to DF than gnomoria is.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2012, 06:19:25 am »

'DF-like'
Yeah, i agree with DF-like.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.
Pages: [1] 2