Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Party chances?  (Read 3536 times)

Carric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Party chances?
« on: October 11, 2012, 09:02:36 pm »

Let's say hypothetically that my dwarves are partying all the time instead of every once in a while and never get any work done. Or that they are all really unhappy and I want one of them to throw a party and hopefully the dwarves will get happier. Forgive me if this is a really newbie-ish question, but how can I manipulate the chances that the dwarves will, at any given time, throw a party? Without cheating or modding of course, I mean naturally through in-game measures.

Brewster

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Engraver
    • View Profile
Re: Party chances?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012, 09:11:08 pm »

Not much study has been done that I know of.
Having more idle dwarfs gives them a chance to throw a party.
Having a lot of meeting rooms probably helps increase party chances too.

Nuoya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2012, 09:47:36 pm »

Carve fortifications into one wall of your dining hall. On the other side make a room with a drawbridge. Carve fortifications in this room also. On the other side of THOSE fortifications make a 1x10 room with a monster in it (put a cage in there and connect the cage to a lever). When you pull the lever to the drawbridge it will interrupt the party. All of the dwarves will scatter and start working again, except for the dwarf who organised the party (at least this is the result that I got)

WDWWWWWWWWWWWWW
W+FBBBF                       W
WgFBBBF                       W
WWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

W = wall
F = fortification
B = bridge
D = door
+ = floor
g = goblin

make sure to lock/forbid the door

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2012, 10:46:12 pm »

Well that won't START a party, now will it?  Party Pooper.

Brewster

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2012, 06:21:19 am »

Well that won't START a party, now will it?  Party Pooper.
haha

Killy all non-social dwarfs, so only your social dwarfs are citizens.... chances of a party increase.

Carric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2012, 03:57:56 pm »

Thank you for the ideas (yes, even the really deranged ones  :D)

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2012, 04:25:08 pm »

Thank you for the ideas (yes, even the really deranged ones  :D)

There are no deranged ideas here. Only non-dorfy ones and dorfy ones.

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm really too normal to play this game so much.`
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2012, 11:13:20 pm »

If you want all your dwarves at the same party, you're kind of out of luck. However, more places to have a party means that more parties will be thrown.

For example, if you have a dining room and no other party-able rooms, only one party will be thrown at a time: another dwarf can't organize a party at *microcline table* until the first party is over. However, if you have a whole room full of tables defined as their own dining rooms, each table could support a party. Same for statue gardens, zoos, memorial halls? Whatever other rooms are capable of hosting a party.

Also keep in mind that there has to be space in that room for a party. If you define a dining room from a table, but size the room to only the tile of the table, only one dwarf can attend the party: the one standing on the table. But if you have a dining room covering an entire 10x10 room, then 100 (or so) dwarves can attend that party.

I don't know what effect overlapping rooms has on party-throwing. I generally only have the one dining room and nothing else, so my experience is limited. But my educated guess for maximum partying is: Multiple party rooms of decent size.

(also don't keep your dwarves too busy: they won't party if they're already busy working)
Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.
I think that's a little more impossible than I'm likely to have time for.

darkgloomie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2012, 02:06:21 am »

For example, if you have a dining room and no other party-able rooms, only one party will be thrown at a time: another dwarf can't organize a party at *microcline table* until the first party is over. However, if you have a whole room full of tables defined as their own dining rooms, each table could support a party. Same for statue gardens, zoos, memorial halls? Whatever other rooms are capable of hosting a party.
Throwing parties in memorial halls?

not sure if hardcore or desacrating...

Carric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2012, 09:01:58 am »

Or simply in memory of whoever, but rather than talking about how gloomy everything is, celebrating the person's life, perhaps? But interesting, I didn't know that dwarves would throw parties in memorial halls.

darkgloomie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2012, 10:13:52 am »

Or simply in memory of whoever, but rather than talking about how gloomy everything is, celebrating the person's life, perhaps? But interesting, I didn't know that dwarves would throw parties in memorial halls.
that may be, but dancing on the tomb of another fallen dwarf is a bit in bad taste imho.

Carric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2012, 12:57:26 pm »

Well, yeah, if it's that sort of party.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2012, 01:36:10 pm »

that may be, but dancing on the tomb of another fallen dwarf is a bit in bad taste imho.
Dwarven parties are mostly standing around, staying sober, and perhaps talking.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2012, 01:51:39 pm »

The wiki writes, and I seen it in older versions, that dwarves often celebrate marriages with a party. There was an announcement for this in DF2010. What happened to that? Anyone seen dwarves do this in 34.11?
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2012, 02:37:51 pm »

Essentially: Gardens, statues. Designated idle/social rooms generate parties. No zoos, no meuseums, no statue gardens, no memorials = no parties. Meeting Area designated by (i) does no to my knowledge generate parties. Mind, i like parties. Lategame i have a billion idle dorfs and they will, hilariously, train eachother to novice+ in certain professions through idle chitchat.
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!
Pages: [1] 2