Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy.  (Read 1966 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy.
« on: October 11, 2012, 10:48:23 am »

Anyone play this? This game was sweet. Anyone heard any news on a sequel?
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy.
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012, 11:07:19 am »

Haven't played that in years. Was a lot of fun, though.

I'm kind of surprised that they haven't made another sequel or similar game yet.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2012, 11:10:48 am »

Haven't played that in years. Was a lot of fun, though.

I'm kind of surprised that they haven't made another sequel or similar game yet.

I am not surprised. Classic Shooters are dead.

How are they going to apply a regenerating health bar to a game like this?

TripJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2012, 11:17:52 am »

series was awesome, although academy was the weakest imo

i for one am glad that it hasn't gotten a sequel, i would much rather see the series dead and gone than get some 'AAA' nextgen abomination of a sequel

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2012, 11:25:16 am »

Yknow what TripJack and Neonivek? You're right. Check out this here rant you just helped spawn.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=117566.15
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2012, 12:27:19 pm »

From the SP to the multiplayer, Jedi Academy just didn't seem to hold a candle to Jedi Outcast.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

mikefictiti0us

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Radio Rivendell
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2012, 12:38:46 pm »

Yeah, I think the only real advantage that Academy had over Outcast was the ability to choose different saber styles, like dual or staff sabers. Outcast had a better story, characters and levels from what I recall, though it's been a long time since I've played either of them.

Oh, I remember there was a sweet cheat that made the sabers "realistic", as in a single hit usually killed, and limbs would fly at the slightest touch. Had a lot of fun shredding stormtroopers and sith into miscellaneous piles of body parts with that.

Graven

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't we all just love contact juggling?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2012, 01:32:30 pm »

I don't know, I've played Jedi Outcast 3 times and Academy at least 5, and whatever story advantages Outcast might have, Academy blows it out in regards to actual gameplay. The enemies seem harder in singleplayer, some of the levels are better than anything Outcast has (the crystal crypt, for example), the additional styles are so much more fun and for some reasons I'm horrible at Outcast :( Outcast's story and protagonist are a lot better, I admit.

Still prefer Academy's swordfighting, though.
What a strange and beautiful world I beheld, but dangerous too, I was certain. And I was friendless and homeless. And so I prayed.
"Hear me, exalted spirits. Hear me be you gods or devils, ye who hold dominion here. I am a wizard without a home. I am a wanderer seeking refuge."

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2012, 02:33:49 pm »

Academy's gameplay is better, Outcast's story is better, but Academy automatically wins for not making me play like five long-ass levels with no saber.

Also, moviebattles 2 saber combat blows everything else out of the water.  I can't really describe it, you just have to see it, it's not like anything else I've played.  One thing though, if you get hit with the saber you're dead.  Period.
Shoes...

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2012, 02:52:24 pm »

I didn't play Academy that much, but I did really enjoy Outcast.

I remember the last battle before the end boss. You fight against 8 or 10 enemy Jedis. It took so many tries to beat that fight. When I finally did I reloaded the save just so I could do the battle again. It was a serious blast.

At one point I had killed everyone except one of the low end enemy Jedi. I Imagined Kyle just smiling at him in a relaxed stance before cutting him down too.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2012, 06:04:15 pm »

Oh man, this thread brings back memories. I used to play Outcast in multiplayer for like a year. I always tried to push and pull people to throw them off cliffs because it was fun. I wish there was more games like this.

Academy wasn't that great though.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2012, 06:12:32 pm »

My friends and I would do tons of multiplayer vs Bots.  Had a blast. Many fond memories of taking a heavy repeater and just brutalizing wave after wave of enemies while doing base defense.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2012, 06:22:27 pm »

It's been a while, but I recall the MP in Academy not being the equal of Outcast. Yes, Academy had dual saber style and iirc staff style, but it felt like there were fewer options within each style. All I know is I was playing with a group of diehard duelists and after Academy came out, we all played it a few times before going back to Outcast for our duels. There was something critical that Academy omitted from MP, but I can't remember what it is now.

I also thought the early levels in Academy had less going on in them than the earlier levels of Outcast.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2012, 07:15:56 pm »

My memories of this game:

1- Beating the first boss (the sith lady on the ice planet) by charging the mountable animal i saved a moment earlier from that yeti thing. The fight is over the second you youch her.

2 - Throwing everyone off ledges... and i mean EVERYONE (i usually played darksided) with the exeptions of people it was impossible (jet packs and places with no viable ledges).
Drain life.
Throw off cliff.
Throw off cliff.
Drain life.
"Fight me Jedi!"
*que falling off a cliff into a pool of lava*

3 - A harder boss if you play darkside (no seriously your character gets thrown about like a bag of potatoes on a russian farmland and keep getting your lightsaber knocked out of your hand) that makes the fight look like you getting curb stomped even when you're techinically winning.

4 - Always taking glowsticks in multiplayer with the sheer goal on making others rage (and complement my low saberfighting skills).
*que staffdancing around the battlefield*
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2012, 05:38:23 am »

2 - Throwing everyone off ledges... and i mean EVERYONE (i usually played darksided) with the exeptions of people it was impossible (jet packs and places with no viable ledges).
Drain life.
Throw off cliff.
Throw off cliff.
Drain life.
"Fight me Jedi!"
*que falling off a cliff into a pool of lava*

My strategy in multiplayer was based only on this. No cliffs or ledges in this map? Time to hit another server. Same thing goes for Outcast.
Pages: [1] 2