Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Webbing titan  (Read 2500 times)

timotheos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Webbing titan
« on: October 08, 2012, 06:04:49 am »

So I got my first titan that shoots web. After it killed my original military, my war dogs, then the hastily drafted backup military. I finally remembered my 4 legendary miners who managed to finish off what was by then a seriously injured jade titan.
I also lost about 20 civilians who got caught in webs.

How do I fight something that shoots web and incapacitates half the squad before they can even attack?

The fortress didn't survive long as a siege turned up soon after and with no military and people too busy trying to get their friends out of cages, clean the place up or throwing tantrums no one pulled the bridge lever.

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
Re: Webbing titan
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 06:12:03 am »

Wall it out and drop boulders on its head.

Or use multiple military squads and flank the beast. Use as many crossbows as you need to bring it down.
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 06:34:23 am »

Flanking and crossbows, yup. Good answer,
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 10:58:31 am »

Jade titan? CAPTURE the f%$&§r and make a silk factory!
(Or even batter, make the circus a zoo!)
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 11:01:45 am »

dude i just got one of those webbing titans so i quickly trapped it in my depot entrance with raising bridges. Now i'm constructing a silk factory, but i have to work out how to get the titan to stand still on a certain hatch to drop it into the factory.

Gaybarowner

• Bay Watcher
  • [SLOW_LEARNER] [VERMIN_HATEABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2012, 11:13:41 am »

Web creatures are the worst besides Dust attacks -shudder-  but marksdwarves with steel spearmen would help

Calathar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2012, 11:29:25 am »

dude i just got one of those webbing titans so i quickly trapped it in my depot entrance with raising bridges. Now i'm constructing a silk factory, but i have to work out how to get the titan to stand still on a certain hatch to drop it into the factory.
I think titans may be too large for drop traps to work.  You can try baiting the titan with a chained kitten at the factory, then pulling the lever to trap it.  I usually do this with FB's.  Also know that silk from FB's are worth as much as regular cave spiders, not giant cave spiders.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2012, 03:32:16 pm »

I think titans may be too large for drop traps to work.  You can try baiting the titan with a chained kitten at the factory, then pulling the lever to trap it.  I usually do this with FB's.  Also know that silk from FB's are worth as much as regular cave spiders, not giant cave spiders.
But... but... JADE TITAN SILK!
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2012, 06:34:52 pm »

But... but... JADE TITAN SILK!
Emphasis added. Titans don't teleport past bridges.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2012, 09:38:19 pm »

Bottle neck. locked door, 1 tile between titan and dwarves. titan busts door, shoots webs, but all dwarves have moved into range at that point and hit it simultaneously.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2012, 10:08:23 pm »

Hmm a locked door sounds good to trick the titan to stand where i want. Question: I know bridges won't open, but how about hatches? Or could i lure the titan with a locked door, get him to stand on the hatch, then pause game, unlock the door and lock the hatch, and trick the titan into breaking the hatch he's standing on?

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2012, 11:14:47 pm »

Hmm a locked door sounds good to trick the titan to stand where i want. Question: I know bridges won't open, but how about hatches? Or could i lure the titan with a locked door, get him to stand on the hatch, then pause game, unlock the door and lock the hatch, and trick the titan into breaking the hatch he's standing on?

They aren't specifically attracted to locked doors/hatches over unlocked ones.

Hatches will open even when large creatures are standing on them. Tested with elephants.

Bottle neck. locked door, 1 tile between titan and dwarves. titan busts door, shoots webs, but all dwarves have moved into range at that point and hit it simultaneously.

If all dwarves can be webbed at the same time, this is a bad plan.

I suggest, if you want to fight a webbing titan, that you let it come up from below through an unlocked hatch into a room where it is surrounded on all sides by your military.