Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18

Author Topic: Apprentices to a Master of Magic  (Read 14908 times)

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
Re: Apprentices to a Master of Magic
« Reply #225 on: February 08, 2013, 03:03:27 am »

((How does one increase mana income?)
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: February 08, 2013, 03:26:25 am »

It was done earlier through the use of magical shrines. I think Zirae might have kept the secret to herself for the time being though.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: February 08, 2013, 01:03:59 pm »

((Well, I would much rather slow and steady than quick and dead.

Also my plans are nearing fruition. This won't be a stalemate much longer. :3))
((Yes, please learn Bury Foes In Instant Fortresses already. I started the uprising too early and nothing coming of it for so long is harsh on plausibility.))

((How does one increase mana income?)
((It's mostly tied to population. With enough population and prosperity, Lady Zirae will probably build more/bigger shrines to alleviate mana shortages.))

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: February 10, 2013, 07:42:45 pm »

((I'll occasionally give new skills out on certain milestones, as I think of them. Feel free to create your own. Examples include, but are not limited to, more powerful fire magic or generating/storing more mana yourself. You might be able to get a permanent spell-like ability if you know the spell and can naturally deal with the mana upkeep. Of course it would probably be easier to just increase the spell duration.
Certain school knowledge will make governed skills easier to learn.

Also, I mentioned earlier that Lady Zirae knows every spell researched by an underling player. She does, but this doesn't necessarily mean she has the school knowledge needed cast them. She doesn't really cheat, and follows the same magic rules the players do (She has an increased research speed due to all her apprentices. If anyone hadn't figured it out yet, that's why you keep gaining odd knowledge of various schools).

Spells that require multiple people to cast take more mana and are difficult to use during combat.))

Lady Zirae studies the Enchantment school. She intends to create cloaks of concealment, and is interested in hearing input about other minor magic items that would be useful.

Albrecht continues his studies of Soul Magic.

Sirra's finds that improving her Conjure Stone spell has become unwieldy, so she begins redesigning it.
Conjuration level 2. New Conjuration skill discovered: Vivid Imagination - Character has unusually clear mental images, making complex conjuration spells faster to cast and less susceptible to errors.

Daniel begins work on an area destruction fire spell.

((I did NOT expect multiperson three school spells yet. Or ever.)))
Lady Zirae doesn't really care about Ardrek using a slave test subject, and assigns Thranduil to help with his research. They make decent progress together, but combining powerful effects from two schools and a simpler effect from a third is rather complicated and time-consuming. It should be able to vocalize wordthoughts of a subject if they're restrained to one place, but costs 0.6 mana for an hour over one victim, and can't link to a recording stone yet. Not even Lady Zirae can cast it alone.
Spell requirements not fully met: Unable to record spell output to recording stone while not seeing through it, which currently requires focused meditation.
New skill discovered: Multifocus. Allows character to focus on multiple sides of a conversation while translating, comprehend multiple TVs at once, perform other tasks while watching a divined object, or watching multiple divined objects. Does not affect research speed.

Jamgeon works on a spell to mentally influence people.

The new spies manage to determine which pass an apparently important group of enemies will take towards the end of the season, on their way to Medea's Stiletto.

The planned ambush goes splendidly. Daniel and Jamgeon both hide while using Mind Blow to good effect on the commander, while the accompanying rangers and archers pepper the targets with arrows. Nobody escapes. three prisoners are captured, alongside the heiress and only daughter of one of the Conspirator nobles. Lady Zirae is ecstatic with her prize; one of the Conspirators is forced away from the rest (Lady Zirae doesn't trust her to value the heiress' life enough for anything other than neutrality), and they'll have to rethink their plots.
They'd been planning to undermine deep beneath Lady Zirae's palace, slowly so as to minimize suspicion, then use explosives from the southern lands to cause a cave-in, and then move in with help from the Tri-Fold Domain. A heavily guarded Sirra happily nullifies their mining efforts thus far.

The Tivoryns seem to have been cowed and are in chaos. No further skirmishes occurred.

Spoiler: Known rival stats (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Empire Stats (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Province Stats (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Spell Library (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Thranduil(Mesor) (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Daniel Snell(Scapheap) (click to show/hide)

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: February 11, 2013, 01:03:34 am »

Ardrek never expected to get such a complex spell working so fast, but he liked the progress and continued working on the Conjure Divined Telepathy, trying to improve all of it's aspects
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: February 11, 2013, 04:05:26 am »

Daniel will make a magic sense(or radar).(I think that metamagic)
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: February 11, 2013, 04:24:44 am »

((Am now imaginging Sirra's expression of pure glee when somebody said "Oh no, if only we had some way of conjuring massive amounts of useless stone!" :P))

Sirra giggled a bit. Her studies in conjuring things were paying off already, and her true plans hadn't even been revealed yet...

...well, ever since she had switched her true plans away from dropping instagrow fortresses everyplace. Zirae would probably like her new plans even better than her old ones, though.

--

She was a bit more formal, though still obviously pleased, when listening to Lady Zirae's own plans. She certainly wanted to aid in suggesting good ideas, but she needed something genuinely good for that. As her thoughts drifted towards her own specialties, a truly unusual thought struck her.

"Lady Zirae, do you think it would be possible to create items that conjured food without the need for mana?

...and, purely hypothetically, do you think it could ever be feasible to do so on such a scale that we could burn everything to the ground without repercussions to ourselves, while starving everyone not under our wings?"

--

Research Conjure Weapons, focusing on quality over quantity. That's right, the stone fetish was just a feint!

Salscrale should train more archery.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 01:55:36 am by IronyOwl »
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: February 11, 2013, 10:36:40 am »

Increase soul magic knowledge. I will have zombie servants damn it.

mesor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: February 11, 2013, 04:51:41 pm »

(( Sorry got sidetracked. ))

Research a spell that allows me to detach my mind from my body and take control of an animals body.

(( Would this work for using things like a fly for spying? ))

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: February 11, 2013, 05:34:10 pm »

Ardrek never expected to get such a complex spell working so fast, but he liked the progress and continued working on the Conjure Divined Telepathy, trying to improve all of it's aspects
Sorry, you can't do any more work on it without someone with at least level 3 Mind Magic. Right now, that's just Lady Zirae or Mesor.

Daniel will make a magic sense(or radar).(I think that metamagic)
Metamagic or Divination would work.

"Lady Zirae, do you think it would be possible to create items that conjured food without the need for mana?

...and, purely hypothetically, do you think it could ever be feasible to do so on such a scale that we could burn everything to the ground without repercussions to ourselves, while starving everyone not under our wings?"
"It might be possible to create an enchantment that converts ambient mana into food without much effort from the user, but we're still years away at our current pace. Doing so on a large scale would certainly be useful, if it doesn't prove impossibly time-consuming."

zombie servants
You might want Body [2.00] for anything more than just putting a soul in control of an immobile corpse, [3.00] for a threat beyond just psychological warfare/victory-through-absurd-numbers.

(( Sorry got sidetracked. ))

Research a spell that allows me to detach my mind from my body and take control of an animals body.

(( Would this work for using things like a fly for spying? ))
Mind control of a willing dog-level-intelligence animal (or unwilling insect) would be a Mind 4 spell (You could research up to [1.00] as you are now, remember). You'd need to mix it with Divination or Soul magic [2.00] to remotely control and receive feedback.

mesor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: February 11, 2013, 05:41:53 pm »

(( I'll get the mind 4 point sorted first then add soul magic to it once thats done. ))

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: February 12, 2013, 02:39:36 am »

After Ardrek released that his mind magic skill is inadequate for developing the spell further he decided to work on his own mind magic skill and get an useful spell in the meantime. He got quite worried by the power of Thranduil and decided to develop a defensive measure against it. An enchanted cap or helmet, that would block incoming mind magic. That would force Ardrek to work enchantment, but somehow Ardrek found that one school spells aren't as versatile as he'd like

He contacted Lady Zirae and shared his idea with her. " You see, my lady, such a cap will be useful for your forces, allowing you to make area wide mind attacks without hurting your own soldiers... too much. Also that may be helpful, if Thranduil or Jamgeon will betray you and decide to act against your forces. Please don't think that it is my attempt to get protection from you. I'll never dare to go against you and I fully understand that should you wish, you will break through any puny item I may design. "

War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Evil Marahadja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: February 18, 2013, 02:44:57 am »

Keep on study on the plant idéa spell.

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
Mumblings of a lurker lurking.
« Reply #238 on: February 23, 2013, 01:27:54 pm »

[...]
Spoiler: Empire Stats (click to show/hide)
[...]
Spoiler: Province Stats (click to show/hide)
[...]
I've been watching sporadically from around page three, and this discrepancy manages to bother me. There are no reserves on every turn; and at this rate you're going to stunt your research relative to other world powers. Some of ye spellworms need to get outside and get some fresh mana!
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: February 23, 2013, 02:45:43 pm »

I'd love to, but as I understand it mana generation is a closely guarded mage-secret, not just something we can go out and discover or build.

Maybe I should ask her about that sometime, though.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18