Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18

Author Topic: Apprentices to a Master of Magic  (Read 14915 times)

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Apprentices to a Master of Magic
« on: October 07, 2012, 08:02:33 pm »

This will be a fairly abstracted strategy game, controlled by largely behind-the-scenes rolls and rules, where the players are semi-autonomous agents of a leader with significantly more power than they have.

Spoiler: Magic Schools (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Province Control (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Races (click to show/hide)

Players will be free to work together, either loyally or with the goal of wresting control from the leader, or splintering off on their own.

There will be more explanations before it starts.

Until then, feel free to reserve slots. I need votes on a leader and starting province.
For leaders, I need a name, agenda, focus of study, and weaknesses. This will determine how the NPC leader plays for most of the game. A paranoid evil overlord might horde his more powerful magic and harshly punish failure, but expand his realm nicely. A doddering old fool who wants only to study may freely give the players the results of his studies, and be easy to backstab, but be satisfied to let his single-province realm stagnate or grow on its own. Maybe he's insane and has banned the study of conjuration? Be careful not to get caught studying it.
For the starting province, describe it and I'll work from there. Is it an archipelago, difficult for outsiders to attack but with marginal mineral wealth? A large mountain range, full of ore but needing costly infrastructure to sustain the slowly-growing populace? Don't forget the dominant race.

Five player slots. IronyOwl has a free 24 hour reserve, if he wants it, since he won my last RTD.

EDIT: Early bronze age tech, no ruins of an earlier age. The wizard was the first in the province to somehow discover magic, and decided to teach it to a lucky few apprentices, for whatever reason. I blame this many civilized races on divine interference.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 04:44:02 pm by Nirur Torir »

mesor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Apprentices to a Master of Magic
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2012, 08:05:02 pm »

Name : Thranduil.
Race : Dark elf.
Magic school : Soul magic.
Description : Long black hair and jet black eyes. Tall and strongly built, his arms are laced with burns and scars signs of fights and spells gone wrong.
Agenda : To become the greatest master of soul magic ever.
Weaknesses : Arrogance, Easily angered, Lack of understanding of mind magic.

(( Did I miss anything? ))

Im fine with whoever and wherever the others choose, I'll vote if we end up with a tie but I want a nice surprise.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 08:15:12 pm by mesor »

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 08:23:22 am »

Please hold off on character sheets until after a wizard is chosen.

Evil Marahadja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 09:47:28 am »

Sounds cool. So all the players will work for the same leader?

*Reserve slot*

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 09:51:32 am »

Reserving a slot.

So, how'll this work? We all get taught by the same wizard?

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2012, 09:54:06 am »

Ohhohhhohoho.
Reserve slot.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Evil Marahadja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2012, 10:05:17 am »

To contribute to the Wizard generation, here is my suggestion feel free to modify and discuss it:

Name: Gildor the wise.
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
Agendas:
Bring human civilisation to the rest of this uncivil world. With whatever means necessary. Trade, warfare, religion, magic.
Eliminate soul-magic, kill everyone who uses it. Atleast with human souls.
Eliminate mind magic (Long term, he may use it to further his short-term goals.) Since it plays with the wonderful soul and mind of a person.
Build the most impressive city the world has ever seen.

Focus of study: Metamagic and (?) Divination

Weakness:
Has some elven blood floating in his veins from a few generations ago. He inherited their pride and self-importance. This has lead to a very aristocratic lifestyle. Which tend to attract the anger of the masses.
He is a racist.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 10:10:15 am by Evil Marahadja »

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2012, 10:10:26 am »

Name: Rathmus
Alignment: True Neutral
Race: Nomad
Agenda: Figure out how to manipulate the 'Great Cycle of Life'
Introduce a strange food, 'tacos' from the east to the populace
Bring back some of the great sages for advice
Focus of study: Soul Magic
Weakness: Quite eccentric, obssessed with tacos
Can get obssessed with a goal
Is incredibly stupid when it comes to social skills

My contribution to the suggestion pool.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 12:02:58 pm by IamanElfCollaborator »

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2012, 11:38:09 am »

Suppose I will throw one in on the other side of the spectrum then.
Name: Zydan
Alignment: Lawful evil
Race: High Elvsie
Agenda: To perfect his knowledge of magic. He is willing to do anything to further this goal, including taking over the world for more resources and to prevent interference
Focus of study: Metamagic
Other: Only twenty five years old, discovered magic at fifteen.
Weakness: Problems with longterm planning
A bit unhinged
Hates the gods
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 12:38:27 pm by lemon10 »
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Child of Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • Sanity? What's that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2012, 11:47:38 am »

*reserve slot*

Name: Mirodorn
Alignment:Lawful Evil
Race: High elf
Agenda: Wants to help magic and technology by going to the future and bring he tech and magic from there back to here.
Focus of study: Time/space
Other: Didn't yet thought about a time-paradox and
is half-lunatic because he once saw a sparkling in the desert and got lost in the Super-hot desert for a week.
Always forgets the gods.

Province:
It's an island, in the middle of the sea, very isolated. Most of the population lives of fish. There aren't many trees (except in the north) and there is a Volcano on the middle of the island. The temprature is medium but the wheater is wet (lot's of rain).
The city isn't that big and farmland is pretty sparse. There are a few ores in the mountain but nothing humongous.
The north of the island is a big jungle, filled with wildlife and different sorts of plants.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 12:15:11 pm by Child of Armok »

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2012, 12:48:40 pm »

I am never fast enough in this first come\first serve.
PTW and waitlistining\reserve spot
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2012, 04:38:53 pm »

Yes, everyone works for the same leader. Players will be able to research spells on their own, and might choose to share their knowledge.

Gildor the Wise is a good suggestion, and multiple areas of study are fine. If selected, expect him to have the upper hand with intel against any rivals, knowing their moves ahead of time, while masking his own. He would rely primarily on traditional, well-organized armies for force projection, and expect his apprentices to participate in major battles to counteract enemy wizards. He would consider himself a bastion of justice, and be highly displeased if he catches his apprentices braking the rules like the lawless savages.

Rathmus: What is his motivation to rule? Manipulating the "Great Cycle of Life" isn't that hard with magic, and could be done alone, speaking with the dead is easy, and introducing tacos can be done by hiring a chef.

Zydan is a fairly standard choice for evil overlord, but would focus less on absolute control and more on studying. He would delegate many tasks to his apprentices, rewarding successes with magic and, of course, punishing failures. He would randomly change his mind more often, and be more susceptible to apprentice suggestions, than other wizards. Expect a broad range of spells.

Mirodorn: I'm not sure why he's willing to dedicate himself to a likely impossible task, or why he would need to be a leader to do so.

Any other province suggestions, or is everyone happy with a mineral poor island?

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2012, 04:42:16 pm »

Meh, Rathmus would probably want to open up the world to death's abode, and erase the need for the Great Cycle?

I wasn't exactly in full sanity mode when I wrote him.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2012, 04:55:14 pm »

I want an evil wizard and monoracial students

Name: Crizash
Alignment:Chaotic Evil
Race: Lizardman
Agenda: Views coldblooded creatures as superior and desires to enslave\kill all others
Focus of study: Conjuration
Weaknesses : extreme xenophobia, no alliances with warmblooded
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2012, 05:13:20 pm »

PTW. Wait list if possible.
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18