Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11

Author Topic: Ultimate Challenge [Now Featuring Phoebus Texture Pack!]  (Read 21168 times)

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ultimate Challenge [Now Featuring Phoebus Texture Pack!]
« Reply #105 on: October 06, 2012, 01:12:33 am »

The lack of Querns/Millstones suddenly make my Mill pointless, I have bother Longlard and Whip Vine and they are useless as anything other then booze...
Really though, if your going to be removing the access to stone, don't make anything that is Stone Set only unavailable...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Hunger

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTITY:RETARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 06, 2012, 01:14:19 am »

There's no stone at all.
Wait, as in Stone doesn't exist?  It's dirt all the way down?  You cannot embark with stone of any kind, buy stone, or stone blocks or do anything stone-related at all?  Is this what lead to the statement about not being able to build querns?

If there is no stone, doesn't that mean that other civs won't have access to metal, since the ores (which are stones) will not be present at their settlements?

Maybe I should take a look at this challenge, although I'm still pretty certain that Volcano = victory.  Fewer trees, sure, but you don't have to burn any for fuel in the first place.  Availability of sand will be important though.

But until I take a proper look at the challenge, I do suppose I'm all talk.

There is stone underground, But what I did was removed Pickaxes and Removed the mining Job.
It makes it almost impossible to get metal at all, unless you buy it... and even then the caravans usually carry 1 or 2 bars on them.
It makes metal Precious. also you can not buy stone.
The Ultimate Challenges
(Can you beat them all?)
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=117366.0
Made By: Hunger

Hunger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 06, 2012, 01:16:29 am »

The lack of Querns/Millstones suddenly make my Mill pointless, I have bother Longlard and Whip Vine and they are useless as anything other then booze...
Really though, if your going to be removing the access to stone, don't make anything that is Stone Set only unavailable...

I think stuff like that is hard-coded, I could have a look though.
Also, booze is why that stuff is there.
The Ultimate Challenges
(Can you beat them all?)

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 06, 2012, 02:00:39 am »

I would suggest that Challege Maker should gen world as normal. Remove picks then releas that. All Players play with the same world...
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?

Hunger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 06, 2012, 02:16:52 am »

I would suggest that Challege Maker should gen world as normal. Remove picks then releas that. All Players play with the same world...

Thats a bad idea, It removes the freedom of the challenge.
People should embark where they want too.
The Ultimate Challenges
(Can you beat them all?)

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 06, 2012, 05:27:48 am »

Thats a bad idea, It removes the freedom of the challenge.
People should embark where they want too.
They are able to but in a set world. That really is the only limit to this idea and there is little lost in gameplay side... Its not like your choosing where and with what...

jellsprout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 06, 2012, 05:51:22 am »

Island embarks with a low population cap make this challenge too easy. I'm already in my third year with almost no investment. I'll finish these ten years and then do the challenge properly.
"Having been equipped with tracking collars so their migration and survival in the wild can be measured, the young Sea Serpent is released into the wild.  It is hoped that this captive breeding program will boost their terribly low population numbers and eventually see them removed from the endangered species list..."

Thatdude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 06, 2012, 07:37:54 am »

Another challenger steps up!

While I think all those who are not choosing to make this hard on themselves are pansy elves, it probably would be worth saying in the op that "to properly qualify you must do:X" like no islands and what not. Giving people bonus points for stuff like "no cage/any traps" "Open fort" so on and so forth would be good as well.

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 06, 2012, 08:39:50 am »

Hmm...the lack of stone does mean that all of the base metals are unavailable.  No copper, iron, tin, silver, gold, etc.  The alloys though, ARE available, so the cheapest metal is Bronze.  I expect to see much bronze.

I don't expect that large numbers of traps will be an issue, since each one costs a mechanism, which itself will require a bar of metal.

The lack of querns annoys me though, since it means I can't make flour or set up a domestic dye industry. All dye will have to be imported...if I care to make colorful cloth that is, which I probably won't.  I guess solid food components shouldn't be TOO hard to come by, with eggs, cheese, and meat all valid options, so I'll be able to cook up some goodly roasts.  Once my growers are good enough to reliably produce large stacks of berries, I could cook those too without worrying about running out of seeds.  Survival shouldn't be a problem, I'll just have to get used to some standard options being no longer available.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

Urist McEngraver

• Bay Watcher
  • I like german.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 06, 2012, 10:17:15 am »

I'm in for the challenge with a twist. I'm going to bring 2 stones for a millstone and a quern.
Never though I'd live like an elf. Wait, is there no stone for mills?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 10:25:23 am by Urist McEngraver »
Also, if you've got wooden furniture in the dining hall, you have some big issues anyways.
This is Dwarf Fortress, not the Fluffy Wambler Express.

Canadark

• Bay Watcher
  • meet me in the mead hall
    • View Profile
Re: Ultimate Challenge
« Reply #115 on: October 06, 2012, 10:35:32 am »

I'm having trouble with water. I built a wooden cistern in the main hall but the well exploded and the water froze during the winter months along with all of the ponds and the streams. Two dwarfs died from thirst.

The meadhall has been doubled in size and I perched a watchtower on top of it. Also we finally have individual housing units to accompany the cramped dormitory.

The barracks is buzzing to the sound of dwarfs fighting in mismatched armor with whatever odd weapons the mountainhome bartered for our *Turkey Egg Sunshine Roasts*.

How did the well explode?

The well came apart when the water beneath it froze. I'm reconstructing it every spring.
You all do know that we everytime we gen a world in DF, a new universe is created somewhere, and everytime we delete a save we kill a whole world?
Aye, we are Armok, god of blood, evil, villager gutting, fortress building, legend making and elf thongs.

Canadark

• Bay Watcher
  • meet me in the mead hall
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 06, 2012, 10:43:17 am »

Otherwise is there any reason not to embark on a volcano with a bunch of chunks of ore?

I embarked in what I can only assume is British Columbia because there are tons of fish and coniferous trees and the whole map freezes for the winter. To be honest I wouldn't trade it for anything else.

I have enough wood to build towers and buildings as well as provide coal for my glass and metal furnaces. I need to import all of my sand and metal but I export enough food and masterwork leather to pay for everything the caravans bring. My butcher's shop is never slowing down because my hunters are bringing in a steady stream of unicorns, owls, giant crows, and badgers.

I have an entire marksdwarf squad decked out with unicorn leather armor. Playing above ground is amazing.

Once again, the only downside is that I can't mill. Maybe somebody will get moody and make a legendary badger bone quern.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 10:44:52 am by Canadark »
You all do know that we everytime we gen a world in DF, a new universe is created somewhere, and everytime we delete a save we kill a whole world?
Aye, we are Armok, god of blood, evil, villager gutting, fortress building, legend making and elf thongs.

Hunger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 06, 2012, 11:32:47 am »

Another challenger steps up!

While I think all those who are not choosing to make this hard on themselves are pansy elves, it probably would be worth saying in the op that "to properly qualify you must do:X" like no islands and what not. Giving people bonus points for stuff like "no cage/any traps" "Open fort" so on and so forth would be good as well.

Well I will review every embark that has qualified for the scoreboards to make it scoreboard worthy, If it was set up on a island or if they walled themselves in with no entrance or exit then it will obviously not qualify.

I'm in for the challenge with a twist. I'm going to bring 2 stones for a millstone and a quern.
Never though I'd live like an elf. Wait, is there no stone for mills?

No stone at all.

The Ultimate Challenges
(Can you beat them all?)

Hunger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 06, 2012, 12:13:34 pm »

19th of Felsite, 130

Another year goes by without much change, the hammerlords named their hammers............
and they like it kinky with the elves.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The Ultimate Challenges
(Can you beat them all?)

Laml;

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 06, 2012, 12:27:36 pm »

I'm doing this. Because this is totally the right way to get back into the game after never getting past the very basics. Right?
Very High number of large beasts and High savagery should be fine.

Started with two Woodcutters/Carpenters, a Carpenter/Building Designer, one wood/bone crafter that can eventually grow things, a fisherman, a Crossbowman/butcher and a Brewer/Cook. I have no idea what I'm doing but hopefully it will go horribly wrong.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11