Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Exploding fruit trees in evil areas  (Read 1823 times)

Robosaur

• Bay Watcher
  • [POOP:INORGANIC: NUCLEAR_BOMBS]
    • View Profile
Exploding fruit trees in evil areas
« on: October 03, 2012, 12:50:48 pm »

Yeah, I'm sure we can mod in evil trees that create fruit that explode into miasma that causes illness to our dwarves, but personally I think this'd be better off in actual vanilla DF!
You are a terrible person and the sad truth is deep down you know it.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Exploding fruit trees in evil areas
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 03:35:38 pm »

I think there is a kind of tree that drops fruit which explodes, spreading seeds everywhere. That would be a good candidate, if we add spikes and maybe a syndrome.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Zorbeltuss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 06:08:11 pm »

Yeah, I'm sure we can mod in evil trees that create fruit that explode into miasma that causes illness to our dwarves, but personally I think this'd be better off in actual vanilla DF!
I'm not sure we can mod that in yet, neither will trees have fruit nor will miasma be created outside, but I'm guessing that it might be possible after the next version with the tree change.
I think there is a kind of tree that drops fruit which explodes, spreading seeds everywhere. That would be a good candidate, if we add spikes and maybe a syndrome.
It's called Pomegranate and is what the grenade and the garnet is named after, while the first isn't super relevant to DF the second is and therefore it would be awesome to have that tree in DF.

/Zorbeltuss
Kun hölmöllä on moottorisaha, jokainen häviää. / Kaikki jotuvat tappiolle kun hölmöllä on moottorisaha.

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 06:17:35 pm »

I totally support this and other dangerous tree types. Only you may want to make the fauna somehow smart enough to avoid such dangers, otherwise players will be wondering how there are any wild animals still around.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2012, 09:07:33 pm »

I never heard of Pomegranates exploding before so I looked it up on Wikipedia and it seems they do not. The French word for Grenade originated from Pomegranate since they looked very similar, nothing to do with either exploding.
I mean from a biology stand point it doesn't really make sense to have fruit to explode. You have fruit to entice animals to move the seeds for the plant, exploding when hitting the ground negates this benefit. For a defence purpose I don't really see how a tree would bother with it. A fruit that could explode would take a lot of energy to create when you can just grow some thorns or poison. 

Now for a fantasy game where everything is corrupted by EVIL I suppose it's possible. I would prefer spiked/armoured coconuts however. Those would really mess up someone stupid enough to get below the tree.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2012, 09:14:05 pm »

Maybe they were technically seed pods or something. Either way, unless I'm mistaken, something similar to this exists IRL.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Zorbeltuss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2012, 09:40:00 pm »

I never heard of Pomegranates exploding before so I looked it up on Wikipedia and it seems they do not. The French word for Grenade originated from Pomegranate since they looked very similar, nothing to do with either exploding.
I mean from a biology stand point it doesn't really make sense to have fruit to explode. You have fruit to entice animals to move the seeds for the plant, exploding when hitting the ground negates this benefit. For a defence purpose I don't really see how a tree would bother with it. A fruit that could explode would take a lot of energy to create when you can just grow some thorns or poison. 

Now for a fantasy game where everything is corrupted by EVIL I suppose it's possible. I would prefer spiked/armoured coconuts however. Those would really mess up someone stupid enough to get below the tree.
Not quite exploding but bursting, the fruit seeds swell by fermentation or something and when the skin of the fruit ruptures, the seeds are spread over a larger area, thats atleast what I've read, but I can't find it now so it may be wrong.

EDIT: However the wikipedia mentions cultural significance in that they burst, on two occations.

/Zorbeltuss
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 09:41:53 pm by Zorbeltuss »
Kun hölmöllä on moottorisaha, jokainen häviää. / Kaikki jotuvat tappiolle kun hölmöllä on moottorisaha.

FallingWhale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2012, 09:59:57 pm »

Not quite exploding but bursting, the fruit seeds swell by fermentation or something and when the skin of the fruit ruptures, the seeds are spread over a larger area, thats atleast what I've read, but I can't find it now so it may be wrong.

EDIT: However the wikipedia mentions cultural significance in that they burst, on two occations.

/Zorbeltuss
I can assure you they don't.
Bitter bark does have exploding fruit, as do some pines(they need fire).

Let's see fruit first.
Quote from: Spambot
Becoming a software engineering is not a piece of cake that you can slice it off a plate and gorge on it.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2012, 10:12:11 pm »

Fruit's being worked on.
Besides, if we have exploding fruit, we could mod in other explosions...
Sig

Bytyan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2012, 03:28:49 am »

I brought this up in a long dead tree thread, but there is a kind of exploding fruit that grows from a dynamite tree (common name). I've grown and seen pomegranates rot, and can say firsthand a least cultivated ones do not explode. Digging up that tree thread might be worth your while.

Dynamite tree
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hura_crepitans

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2012, 07:29:43 pm »

I'm not sure we can mod that in yet, neither will trees have fruit nor will miasma be created outside, but I'm guessing that it might be possible after the next version with the tree change.

1. Can't mod in fruit.
2. Can't mod in miasma.

Yeah, definitely not.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2012, 09:21:05 pm »

1. Can't mod in fruit.
2. Can't mod in miasma.

Yeah, definitely not.

1. Wait a version
2. Make the fruit rot fast? That could work, although perhaps not well.
Sig

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2012, 09:22:49 pm »

Stuff only miasmas below ground and I'm pretty sure you can't mod rot times.

However, making "fruit" out of an evaporating rock should be trivial, since Toady has suggested (well, more like outright stated) that fruit will be something simple like [FRUIT:BAR:NONE:INORGANIC:STEEL].
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 09:24:37 pm by Putnam »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2012, 09:40:03 pm »

Stuff only miasmas below ground and I'm pretty sure you can't mod rot times.

However, making "fruit" out of an evaporating rock should be trivial, since Toady has suggested (well, more like outright stated) that fruit will be something simple like [FRUIT:BAR:NONE:INORGANIC:STEEL].
The first is the big problem and I thought you could make a given material rot faster. Most of my material modding has been in inorganics, so...
Sig