Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Dwarven Surplus  (Read 4264 times)

vadia

• Bay Watcher
  • tacky picture given the forum; I know.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Surplus
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2012, 10:24:27 pm »

I am planning to make a few snack rooms for my local vampire.

Viking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2012, 12:07:03 am »

I like to set my population limit around 100 and as a result my population will be around 110 or so usually. It seems to be a good balance for me.
 Interestingly, I activate masonry on at ~least~ half of them. When I want those walls up I want them up fast!

thiosk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2012, 12:32:39 am »

Need Moar Military.

All men fite.

All women haul, masonrifty things, farm, cut wood, do carpentry, collect sand, thresh, milk, shear, cook, weave, extract strands, smith, make soap, make babies, diagnose things, and make clothes.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2012, 12:56:10 am »

Need Moar Military.

All men fite.

All women haul, masonrifty things, farm, cut wood, do carpentry, collect sand, thresh, milk, shear, cook, weave, extract strands, smith, make soap, make babies, diagnose things, and make clothes.

Our qunari brothers three games over smile with pride at this comment. On that note, if any bay12'er were to design Orzammar or the deep roads i dont think darkspawn would have been any kind of threat. Darkspawn are pansies.
To the topic at hand, i do something similar; all men are cleared of jobs unless legendary in a crafting skill. All women are assigned everything else. Men fight, women work.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Urist McPenguinhead

• Bay Watcher
  • dungeon master with questionable motives
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2012, 02:53:24 am »

I've consistently modified my dwarves to give them human lifespans (maxage 60:120) so there's always some healthy "churn" in the population to keep it reasonable.  It's also satisfying to read the slabs that say the dwarves "died peacefully".

Why on earth would you be satisfied with dying 'peacefully'? Bah. Nearly all my dwarves die to magma related accidents or megabeasts. Then it's satisfying to read the combat reports. :p

I find around 150 dwarves is good. I play with no traps or marksdwarves, so I generally have a large military. Once I had a population of 300, and just under half of them were soldiers. Eventually the micromanagement just gets ridiculous though.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2012, 07:01:01 am »

Need Moar Military.

All men fite.

Is 'making babies' a skillable activity? :}  could I mod in a fertility attribute and/or skill?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2012, 07:10:00 am »

Need Moar Military.

All men fite.

Is 'making babies' a skillable activity? :}  could I mod in a fertility attribute and/or skill?
No and no.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2012, 07:17:03 am »

Now that doesn't sound very positive.  I'm sure there is some kinda workaround...
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2012, 10:19:15 am »

Why on earth would you be satisfied with dying 'peacefully'? Bah. Nearly all my dwarves die to magma related accidents or megabeasts. Then it's satisfying to read the combat reports. :p

Mostly because I want extended dwarven families for new forts...and the satisfaction of keeping them alive for 60+ years.  I'm aiming for this fort to survive until next release, so we'll see how long and how many generations I can get going.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

pixl97

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2012, 12:28:50 pm »

Since I'm a firm believer that quantum stockpiling by dumping is a good and dwarfy thing to do, there is never too many laborers. Why should Urist McSmelter run 50 z levels to pick up some iron while Urist McSoapmaker sits on his fat ass? No way, at my forced labor camp idling is a sin. The smelter will always have ore close by, the armorer will always have bars.

Once I have a large number of legendary workers in everything a fort needs... Soldiers, you can never have too many. We're digging to hell boys!

An idle woodcarver is just a lost opportunity for a legendary spear dwarf.

megahelmet

• Bay Watcher
  • *casts* Meteo!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2012, 02:31:53 pm »

Around 120 is good for me. A quarter of my population is dedicated to crafting. Most industries get away with just having a single legendary worker, but my metal, glass, and textile industry require many. Another quarter is dedicated to building. Masons, mechanics, and engravers. The third quarter exists to haul all the things the first two groups needs. The last quarter are military recruits and are almost always made up of incoming migrants. The death rate is very, very, high.

I don't discriminate between genders. The way I see it, a mother dwarf is just carrying an extra small fleshy shield into battle.
Pylons on fire can stay, its awesome.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2012, 05:43:27 pm »

I've consistently modified my dwarves to give them human lifespans (maxage 60:120) so there's always some healthy "churn" in the population to keep it reasonable.  It's also satisfying to read the slabs that say the dwarves "died peacefully".

I find around 150 dwarves is good. I play with no traps or marksdwarves, so I generally have a large military. Once I had a population of 300, and just under half of them were soldiers. Eventually the micromanagement just gets ridiculous though.

I could imagine you would have a few problems with tantrums if you have a sudden wave of death.

Or undeath if a necromancer sneaks in.

Varnifane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2012, 05:56:48 pm »

What about insta-shock with puppies?
I regret to inform the community that the mass murder of puppies does not create a viable clock.
I don't know if you need other ideas when you have magma.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2012, 07:39:39 pm »

Better still, create a plant drink which turns dwarves into livestock :/

zubb2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2012, 10:38:02 pm »

On the previous post about the dragon age franchise.

I find dragon age as a world really depressing. (Erm Alister)cry baby

I prefer the dwarf fortress attitude "The darkspawn have taken the deep roads?!! Unleash the danger roomed legendarys...Give that ten minites then release the magmaa!!"

Them dorfs are so full of life if they get depressed they don't whine they do DRASTIC things.

No seriously the darkspawn would have scary storys for their children about dwarves.

!!(Child Care)!!
(Anyone else have any stories that can compare to a man being beaten to death with his own trousers by a giant gopher?)
(when goblins showed up, I mumbled "Smithers! Release the hounds!" and had the lever pulled.)
Pages: 1 [2] 3