Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 91

Author Topic: Stardew Valley - Harvest Moon type game for PC  (Read 441135 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: Stardew Valley - Harvest Moon type game for PC
« Reply #870 on: March 09, 2016, 06:32:10 pm »

Anyone know for sure if giving higher quality versions of gifts does any good? I see some stuff that assumes that, but no definitive info on it.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: March 09, 2016, 07:27:39 pm »

Spoiler: From what I've heard (click to show/hide)
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: March 10, 2016, 10:17:07 am »

That sounds better. As I said before, I don't like a final evaluation on an open-ended game that lasts dozens of hours to 'complete'. The diamond thing sounds really great.

I agree. The final evaluation mechanic imposes not only a time limit, but also pressure to do things "right" by some arbitrary standard. It's completely at odds with the "no rush, enjoy country life" nature of the game.

I'm playing completely blind in that regard, not knowing (nor wanting to know) what I'm expected to accomplish by the time the evaluation comes around. I'd rather not be graded by an entirely unnecessary mechanic, and feel it'd diminish the experience to find out in the end that I "did it wrong" in some way.

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: March 10, 2016, 12:15:47 pm »

I am surprised by the evaluation thing also. I really like "just playing." Every time I hit min/max mode in harvest moon I ended up annoyed with the game and more stressed than relaxed. It seems like everything in this game points towards relaxing play except the evaluation at the end. Just odd.

On the other hand it gives me something to work towards on my next play through. That being said, I have not even hit my first winter yet. Looking forward to just relaxing and playing this weekend.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: March 10, 2016, 12:21:56 pm »

I always feel conflicted about these games.  On the one hand, it's a relaxing play where you just 'do farm'.  But on the other hand, once you've maxed your tools and are getting gold star produce, there's... not much happening.  You quite suddenly hit 'nothing to do' as you end up with crops under sprinklers so no need to farm, and all tools improved so no need to dungeon.  You just end up with mounting money and nothing to spend it on, because there's no special events or problems that encourage you to do anything.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #875 on: March 10, 2016, 12:30:48 pm »

There is definitely a point when there is not much left to do, but honestly I didn't really feel that way until about 70 hours into the game. At that point I already had gotten a tremendous amount of value out of a 15$ title.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #876 on: March 10, 2016, 03:36:58 pm »

You could just have the big climax happen when you've met certain conditions that imply you've already gotten just about everything out of the game. So with SV, for example, there's a big event that's triggered when you have X amount of each resource and have earned X amount of money. After that, you can either play on if you want (though there wouldn't be much left to do unless you enjoy the grind for its own sake) or set the game down feeling accomplished. I don't see any reason it needs to be tied to the calendar.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: March 10, 2016, 03:42:09 pm »

That sounds better. As I said before, I don't like a final evaluation on an open-ended game that lasts dozens of hours to 'complete'. The diamond thing sounds really great.

I agree. The final evaluation mechanic imposes not only a time limit, but also pressure to do things "right" by some arbitrary standard. It's completely at odds with the "no rush, enjoy country life" nature of the game.

I'm playing completely blind in that regard, not knowing (nor wanting to know) what I'm expected to accomplish by the time the evaluation comes around. I'd rather not be graded by an entirely unnecessary mechanic, and feel it'd diminish the experience to find out in the end that I "did it wrong" in some way.

It was totally overhauled in 1.05, check out the patch notes, you can resummon him with a diamond enever you like.

Tnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: March 10, 2016, 06:03:13 pm »

Tested the gift quality for villagers thing.  A gold quality item I gave pushed a person from one to two stars, while giving the same gift with no quality modifier left the person at one star.

Also, has anyone cleared all the forage areas of rocks/branches south of the farm to see if doing so actually spawns more forageables?

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: March 10, 2016, 06:15:57 pm »

It should. Someone earlier in the thread posted a screenshot of a rock spawning in the middle of their field on an unplowed tile.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 08:22:36 pm by Glloyd »

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: March 10, 2016, 08:08:26 pm »

Extensive interview with CA by PC Gamer.

Your URL doesn't lead anywhere, unless that was the joke and I missed it. :P
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: March 10, 2016, 08:24:14 pm »

Your URL doesn't lead anywhere, unless that was the joke and I missed it. :P

Nah, I fucked up. Fixed it. It's about the future of Stardew.

There's also a GameInformer video interview with him from today as well, it's about 45 minutes long.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 08:25:46 pm by Glloyd »

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: March 10, 2016, 08:26:11 pm »

Which I linked to on the last page.

I missed that somehow, my bad.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: March 10, 2016, 08:32:06 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 07:30:21 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 91