Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: LCS Programming Discussion Topic  (Read 10615 times)

KA101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: LCS Programming Discussion Topic
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2013, 07:24:39 pm »

Dammit, that's another reason for me to try/fail at compiling something, if there's a free compiler for Win2k/XP.  ;)  Logging squad activity will make for interesting reading and hopefully help counter the Now Where Was I Going Again that comes from only playing on free nights.

Thanks, addictgamer.

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2013, 12:47:09 am »

So looking at lawreference.cpp, as you can see it actually goes to C++ and whatever S(Soviet?) is, can the game actually utilize these? Or are these about as useful as a comment?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 01:45:57 am by Vherid »

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2013, 04:47:13 pm »

So looking at lawreference.cpp, as you can see it actually goes to C++ and whatever S(Soviet?) is, can the game actually utilize these? Or are these about as useful as a comment?

C++ is used when showing laws on the Game Over screen, S is Soviet and isn't used by the game. Servant Corps did most of the work on those, if I'm not mistaken.

usr_share

• Bay Watcher
  • "For great justice!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2013, 03:21:04 am »

S seems to actually mean "Stalinist", but yeah -- it looks like some developers had an idea of adding an extra degree to the issue spectrum.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2013, 07:43:35 am »

S seems to actually mean "Stalinist", but yeah -- it looks like some developers had an idea of adding an extra degree to the issue spectrum.

Ah, yeah, that's right.

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2013, 03:28:43 pm »

EDIT: Fixed it
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 04:19:25 pm by Vherid »

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2013, 11:15:08 pm »

C++ is used when showing laws on the Game Over screen, S is Soviet and isn't used by the game. Servant Corps did most of the work on those, if I'm not mistaken.
The idea was that you would have a special Game-Over screen if the Stalinists "win" the game by passing their Stalinist Amendment. It would not show up in normal play though, as the Stalinists generally adhere to a mixed platform of L+ and C+ ideas. The Stalinists was intended to be a sometimes-ally, sometimes-enemy of the LCS, and the player has to decide when to let them run free and when to crack down.

At least that was the idea. I'm not sure if it actually worked though.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 11:17:29 pm by Servant Corps »
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Lenny Zicree

• Bay Watcher
  • I, accidentally ....
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2013, 01:17:41 am »

here's my top 3 list of annoyances:

talk/say what to who  ..  please, having it the other way around is driving me mad.
sieges kill my squad assignments  ..  ouch! please, if i have at least 1 6 person squad don't try to help me!
{Esc}{Esc}R1AA ... wtf! why can't i assign something to someone who's not in a squad.

is it ok here? can someone with a dev setup please spend an hr on the last 2, or 2hrs on the 1st one? ty!
don't cook what you can brew

Dbuhos

• Bay Watcher
  • Carbon Strain
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2013, 02:09:12 pm »

What's some freeware software I could use to compile LCS?

Yannanth

« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2013, 02:52:56 pm »

« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 04:46:26 pm by Yannanth »

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 03, 2013, 06:06:42 pm »

LCS is normally compiled with GCC and GNU Make (both come preinstalled on most Linux distros), and on Windows with Visual Studio Express, which was freeware until 2 years ago. Now it's a stripped-down version of the full VC++ and you have to pay for it after the trial expires.

I think you might be conflating two different products. Visual Studio Express has always been a stripped down version, but this is the first I've heard of it being turned into a trial version rather than a forever free version. Wikipedia says Visual Studio Express is still freeware, Microsoft advertises the line as "entirely free" on their website, and all discussion on tech sites and forums seems consistent with it still being 100% free and not a trial product.

I think you may be confusing this with the fact that you can freely download other versions of Visual Studio, besides Express, which you then have to pay for after their trial elapses. Well, you have to pay for them if you want to keep using them. Obviously they can't make you pay for them.

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2013, 10:20:21 am »

So I still look at this crazy ideas list every now and then, and someone of them don't really require big changes, things I could really easily put together, are all of these ideas a to do list for you Fox, or are they just ideas good and bad altogether? I wouldn't mind doing a few of them really quickly, but I'm also unsure of how to SVN contribute and all of that. Would it to just edit the SVN marked files and then do the SVN Commit thing?

seth--

• Bay Watcher
  • We need a slogan!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2013, 10:52:08 am »

Did anyone got a warning of a CCS raid? I didn't had one but looking at the source it looks like it will never happen:
Code: [Select]
               int ccssleepercount=0;
               for(int pl=0;pl<pool.size();pl++)
               {
                  if(pool[pl]->flag & CREATUREFLAG_SLEEPER&&
                     (pool[pl]->type==CREATURE_CCS_VIGILANTE || pool[pl]->type==CREATURE_CCS_ARCHCONSERVATIVE ||
                      pool[pl]->type==CREATURE_CCS_MOLOTOV || pool[pl]->type==CREATURE_CCS_SNIPER))
                  {
                     ccssleepercount=1;
                     break;
                  }
               }
               if(ccssleepercount>1) // !! It will be 1 or 0, never >1
               {                               // It should be if(ccssleepercount)
                  erase();
                  set_color(COLOR_WHITE,COLOR_BLACK,1);
                  move(8,1);
                  addstr("You have received a sleeper warning that the CCS ", gamelog);
                  move(9,1);
                  addstr(" is gearing up to attack ", gamelog);
                  addstr(location[l]->name, gamelog);
                  addstr(".", gamelog);
                  gamelog.nextMessage();

refresh();
                  getch();
               }
            }
I am confused are you saying you changed the kidnapping so it is less... Saw?
Did Saw consist of you beating them then yelling Ronald Reagan in their face?

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2013, 08:12:47 pm »

So I still look at this crazy ideas list every now and then, and someone of them don't really require big changes, things I could really easily put together, are all of these ideas a to do list for you Fox, or are they just ideas good and bad altogether? I wouldn't mind doing a few of them really quickly, but I'm also unsure of how to SVN contribute and all of that. Would it to just edit the SVN marked files and then do the SVN Commit thing?

They aren't necessarily vetted as good ideas (they could just be crazy ones), but if you think they're good, feel free to do them.

You can SVN commit if you are a member of the Sourceforge project. If you aren't a member and would like to join, send me a PM with your Sourceforge username (registration is free if you don't have one yet) and maybe a statement about your programming experience, or mention a useful source code edit you've already done and tested on your computer. I'll add you to the project and write back confirming it's done, then you can use your Sourceforge username and password when committing.

You are also welcome to join the project, seth--; I've committed a couple of patches on your behalf already, and they have been quite good. You are certainly welcome to just commit directly and bypass me. (And I agree with your observation, that code is broken. Your fix would work.)

seth--

• Bay Watcher
  • We need a slogan!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2013, 09:36:46 pm »

Have you thought of migrating to github?
It's interface is nicer than sourceforge.
Pull requests would make it easier to review and keep track of patches.
The issue tracker would make it impossible to forget about bugs or suggestions.
A project there usually attracts more developers than a project in sf.

I don't remember that much about svn but I'm making a sf account anyway.

edit: best of all, gh allows hypens in usernames
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 09:41:52 pm by seth-- »
I am confused are you saying you changed the kidnapping so it is less... Saw?
Did Saw consist of you beating them then yelling Ronald Reagan in their face?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5