Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should the US Boycott UN speeches by not attending them?

Yes
- 9 (30%)
No
- 21 (70%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Should the US boycott speeches given on an international scale?  (Read 1481 times)

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
Should the US boycott speeches given on an international scale?
« on: September 26, 2012, 08:29:26 pm »

So, the USA has boycotted the Iranian speech. Leaving aside the question if it serves any purpose at all, the question is should US political leaders ever boycott an international discourse that consists only of speaking?

The United States of America holds freedom of speech as one of it's ideals. This allows someone to theoretically make a real bigoted video and post it online where millions can be insulted by it and count on suffering no real legal concequences for it.

So do USA elected officials, who are supposed to represent the people and the principles of free speech, really have any right to boycott hateful speech on a international level because they don't like it? Discuss.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
Re: Should the US boycott speeches given on an international scale?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, 08:32:49 pm »

I think it sends a message that what is being said is unconscionable and that the USA will not be a party to it. For instance when Ahmedinijad gets up and goes on about how the holocaust is a lie I have no problem with the USA departing. IIRC Canada does it from time to time.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2012, 08:45:01 pm »

But don't you think that might also send a message that America doesn't back it's principle of freedom of speech when it isn't something America agrees with? Creating an attitude of "You are free to speak as long as it is speech I agree with"?

Isn't there some kind of obligation to be willing to be subjected to the stupid and the hateful if you really do believe in allowing people to freely express themselves?
How is this different than allowing people to march in public and visible spaces saying that "God Hates Fags"?
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2012, 08:48:35 pm »

Just because someone can speak freely doesn't mean you have to listen to them.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2012, 08:56:33 pm »

But don't you think that might also send a message that America doesn't back it's principle of freedom of speech when it isn't something America agrees with? Creating an attitude of "You are free to speak as long as it is speech I agree with"?

Isn't there some kind of obligation to be willing to be subjected to the stupid and the hateful if you really do believe in allowing people to freely express themselves?
How is this different than allowing people to march in public and visible spaces saying that "God Hates Fags"?
Just because someone can speak freely doesn't mean you have to listen to them.
This, I would also add that freedom of speech also means the freedom to disagree, and that it doesn't mean the state itself doesn't get a voice when it comes to making opinions about subjects, especially subjects of diplomacy.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2012, 09:03:52 pm »

Sure, but the American Political leadership is specifically there to represent the American People. They certainly should express disagreement, but is walking out the right way? It's in essence denying the other side the right to address them, which is a level above "not agreeing with it" I think. It's not about one individual, but the representitive of millions.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2012, 09:21:11 pm »

They are free to speak but if listening to them lends credence to whatever drivel they are spouting then I feel that one should leave.

For instance when dictatorships get appointed to UN panels for democracy or Saudi Arabia ends up on the committee for women's rights then I feel that walking out to show one's lack of support is completely justified.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2012, 12:01:46 am »

No, if anything we should be careful to hear everything being said. Not only is it vital to maintaining a clear picture of the situation, walking out is saying diplomacy is not possible. It's difficult, but you have to endure this kind of crap to get anything done - the other side will not change just because you think they're unreasonable. Everyone always thinks they have the side of reason, therefore you'll always be unreasonable by not agreeing with them, and if you won't listen to them at all, you've edged into the territory of insanity.

To the point, what we did was dangerous. It can only be a step towards conflict, the most it did was give us a few points with other equally offended countries. If they don't feel they can talk, the only other direction or non-direction to take (from their perspective) is war or maintaining the status quo.
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2012, 12:25:56 am »

It's juvenile and hardly a shining example of diplomacy. Our representatives aren't there to feel good and make a bunch of friends, they're there to gather information on the views of other nations and present our own. Throwing a metaphorical tantrum and storming out whenever someone pulls out some hate speech does us no good at all. Issue a statement condemning it? Certainly. Speak against it? Of course. "Screw you guys, I'm going home!" is not acceptable behavior.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2012, 12:34:12 am »

What was the content of the speech?
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2012, 12:34:57 am »

Given that it was Iran, probably Holocaust denial.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2012, 12:36:11 am »

It's not about one individual, but the representitive of millions.

I'm a political realist. If you look at the real effects of the US delegation walking out (as opposed to the symbolic effects which, IMO, are only important in that they cause real effects) then you see nothing to worry about. Is Iran going to invade us over it? Is Iran going to chance their opinion of the US at all over this? Will any US citizens interested in hearing the speech themselves be prevented from hearing it? Is anyone in the US forbidden from expressing support for the speech, if they want to? No to all of those. The only real effect this will have is that it will upset the ultra-religious minority in Iran and provoke eye-rolls in the modernized majority. Which is exactly what dinner jacket wants, since that's getting his base worked up to support him.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2012, 12:56:40 am »

Walking out doesn't deny diplomacy it is a form of diplomacy.  It's a symbolic protest.  It's not like walking out prevents anyone from reading the transcript later.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Nilik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2012, 01:03:25 am »

No problem with this whatsoever. If I were stuck in a room with someone loudly denying the holocaust for any length of time, I'd probably end up doing something I'd regret later. Freedom of speech != forcing someone to listen to yours.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2012, 01:04:03 am »

No problem with this whatsoever. If I were stuck in a room with someone loudly denying the holocaust for any length of time, I'd probably end up doing something I'd regret later. Freedom of speech != forcing someone to listen to yours.
Agreed.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!
Pages: [1] 2