Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 107

Author Topic: Prison Architect - Version 2.0 Release | It's over! *weeping*  (Read 244619 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Prison Architect
« Reply #135 on: September 26, 2012, 11:40:57 pm »

I didn't even consider buying Binding of Isaac because while I do like classic games... I liked a certain quality of classic gameplay.

I wouldn't buy a game that, for example, plays like the first Zelda because there is no reason for me to go back to that quality of gameplay.

As for this the issue is mostly that the gameplay could be overly simplistic. Hense why I keep it at an arm's length and refuse to get even slightly hyped until I learn more (or I win that giveaway)

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: September 26, 2012, 11:51:34 pm »

An indie company needs to fail to be indie?

To me.. an indie company is one that is independent. Be it 1 employee or BIS's dozens and dozens.
Magma is overrated.

Goron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: September 27, 2012, 12:04:30 am »

To me.. an indie company is one that is independent.
Exactly.
It frustrates me when people use 'indie' to mean some emo elitist crap. Indie=independent. Period.

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: September 27, 2012, 12:14:13 am »

Independant (Indie) developers are just that.  Large, established developement studios are stuck with one or two very specific limitations when it comes to funding, requiring massive investments from already generating publishing firms, like Activision.  While in most cases this is an 'okay' thing, in alot of smaller groups this causes a problem because they tend to appeal more to a niche market, and cannot abide the same restrictions (time constraints, subject matter, ect.) that larger studios can overcome with their publishers breathing down their necks.

In this case, Introversion is very much an indie studio.

$30 is a rather steep though, but only a drop in the bucket compared to $60+ AAA titles.  The last Prison Tycoon game I saw was still $40 online the last time I looked.
"It takes being a nerd to be a dorf, and I'm more than happy to compensate."

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: September 27, 2012, 12:14:19 am »

Does it auto update or do I have to chase patches all over the internets?

Goron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: September 27, 2012, 12:24:46 am »

I *think* you need to check the wiki and manually update...

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: September 27, 2012, 12:30:03 am »

.. Do they have at least a rss?

yarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: September 27, 2012, 12:39:22 am »

Game looks fantastic and advertising the bugs is both refreshing and funny, but $30 is WAY too steep for an alpha indie title. I've read the PC Gamer interview where they say that if you pay less you're more likely to complain about the bugs but that seems like the complete opposite of what makes sense, surely expecting someone to pay $30 would imply its worth it? I've also heard people say they'll lower the price when the game becomes more finished, but thats even worse! Why would you treat your early customers like that? Buying before the game is done is supposed to be cheaper, not more expensive. Oh well, as they've said, they work closely with the Humble Indie Bundle guys, so I'll pick it up when its finished and on there, if they aren't lowering the price. A finished Prison Architect would be worth $20-$25 to me. For an unfinished alpha indie title, anything over 15 is too steep. I hate asking this, because its always a stupid question, but am I the only one who feels this way? Am I being unreasonable here? Lowering the price as the game is finished seems like a middle finger to the early purchasers, but it staying as it is or perhaps even going higher is also really bad.

Edit- And if they need money really badly, I wish they'd have a few tiers below 30 that maybe just has the music or something.

No, you're not the only one that feels this way :). 30$ is just greedy imo and punishing early customers is probably not the way to go.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: September 27, 2012, 12:48:58 am »

$30 for a game isn't greedy. Its expensive, more so that it probably should be, but its not greedy.
But I do agree that alpha purchasers should get a little discount (even if its only 5 dollars).
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: September 27, 2012, 12:51:23 am »

development costs and sale prices are only a part of the figure.

you need to factor in the potential sales, and probably they don't see this game becoming viral.

they already have one year development to pay for, with at least one more to come.

that's at least 40k copies to sell at 30$, over the small internet population which likes ultra hard games and doesn't mind adult theming - and this is if just two devs and a graphic artist are involved. (which I doubt because they have leader this and leader that doeing the trailer, implying a larger team)

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: September 27, 2012, 01:03:23 am »

I have absolutely no problem with $30 to a company with a track record like Introversion. This is only for 1> the diehard fans and 2> those who are bright enough to realize what an Alpha really means. They want to deter casual purchases at this point.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: September 27, 2012, 01:13:13 am »

For the record, $30 bucks seems like a fair price for it. I'll probably hold off purchasing for now since I simply have zero money to spend on games right now, but in general 30 bucks is not a lot at all.

Secondly, the debate about pre-releases being expensive. Most of the time the angle is taken is that you're buying a lesser product, hence pay less. It seems, however, that the argument in this case is that you're paying lots for the privilege of getting it before others do. Honestly I don't care either way. If you don't think its worth it? wait. It doesn't effect you. If other people are willing to pay for it, then that's their choice. (and perhaps, its validating their pricing strategy, since the people moaning about it being to expensive are probably moaning about not being able to play it)
Magma is overrated.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: September 27, 2012, 01:52:40 am »

Wiki asks for a password?!?

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: September 27, 2012, 01:53:09 am »

The download is there, so yes.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Dr. Johbson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: September 27, 2012, 01:57:32 am »

I appreciate the replies from both sides of the fence.

To those who have bought it, if the price goes down in the future, would that bother you? I know all games get cheaper for the longer they've been released, but what I mean is instead of the standard 'cheaper price before release, then the standard price, and then it gets cheaper again over time', it skips the first step, the cheaper price one might expect with an alpha, and instead starts at full price in the alpha, and then gets cheaper the more its finished? I hope that made sense.

Would that bother you, where the early adopters are buying early to, instead of trying to find a good deal, are there to promote the company and the game? I'm seen alot of people say things like that, that the price point is for the hardcore fans, and is, as the developers said, a "quality bar."

I think its an interesting idea, to get the ones who really care about your game in first and then the people who just want to play a good game in later.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 107