Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The Forest Titan "Sumost Ethrarujit Budzuumci" has come...  (Read 2753 times)

Kyonai

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
The Forest Titan "Sumost Ethrarujit Budzuumci" has come...
« on: September 25, 2012, 05:54:10 am »

So yah, the Forest Titan has arrived to shit on my day... Here's the thing, I have no formal military just yet. I suppose now would also be a good time to throw a militia together and FINALLY figure out how Burrows work, right? Anyone have any tips for me in my current situation?... I have a feeling I'm royally boned here, anyone wanna take bets on how long I last? Oh well, I lasted a couple years I suppose =P

thrush_titan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Forest Titan "Sumost Ethrarujit Budzuumci" has come...
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2012, 06:07:50 am »

Not all titans are army-destroyers.  My username comes from my first ever titan which was so weak it was nearly killed by my sentry dogs before I could get a squad deployed.

AndreaReina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2012, 06:40:26 am »

Can you shut yourself in? It would give you time to make some armor and get everyone kitted out, at least.

Kyonai

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2012, 07:10:50 am »

Too late, he barreled straight through the front and basically wiped up half my dwarves, they killed him eventually... ='(

Scow2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2012, 09:18:39 am »

Dangit! He was a caterpillar, not a centipede. Otherwise, you could have quickly designated a crossbow-dwarf to take him out while taking cover behind trees and mushrooms as it slowly made its way toward your fortress. Or am I thinking the wrong game?

Varnifane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2012, 10:01:54 am »

Should've named one of your dwarves Alice and sent her out to deal with it. Or built a titan-sized hookah...
I regret to inform the community that the mass murder of puppies does not create a viable clock.
I don't know if you need other ideas when you have magma.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2012, 10:30:02 am »

In the future, there are a few things you can do to deal with titans.  As was suggested, the best first line defense is to make sure that you have some means of shutting your fort off from the outside.  A wall and drawbridge is the most effective way against megabeasts.  The titan won't be able to smash through the raised drawbridge.

As for killing them, that depends entirely on what they're made of and if they have certain types of attacks.  This one has a poisonous bite, which is one of the least dangerous things it could have.  Getting into melee with it isn't an immediate death sentence like deadly dust could be.

Another important feature of this titan is that it's organic.  It could have been made of metal if you were unlucky.  But since it was organic, most weapons would be pretty effective against it.  Melee would work alright if you had any well trained soldiers, but you didn't so you lost a lot of dwarves when he started pounding on them (presumably civilians).  Crossbows could be quite effective here, as they are against almost anything.  I don't think caterpillars have any sort of notion of a skull (although it does mention an exoskeleton), so bolts would probably do a lot of damage and if you're lucky tear its brain apart.  My very first titan ever was killed by a hunter who did precisely this.

If the titan had been made of a material like cinnabar or bronze, you would have been in a much tighter spot, but metal bolts do reasonably well against these enemies.  Failing that, you might should consider setting up a choke point or airlock system with spikes that can be repeatedly triggered from safety.

In short:

1. Lock yourself in
2. Crossbows (maybe through fortifications)
Through pain, I find wisdom.

vadia

• Bay Watcher
  • tacky picture given the forum; I know.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2012, 10:32:43 am »

If you ever figure out pit traps make a huge pit trap (or just enough to drop them into forever)
They could work.

PaleBlueHammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2012, 03:16:55 pm »

I learned after about ten games that it's wise to take the second word in the game title very seriously.  Even on a good, serene embark, you will eventually get surprises like this, or an FB flying up your shaft.

Right. Up. Your. Shaft.

Quote from: misko27
If adamantine is revealed for more then 2 years without being completely mined it all turns into galena. Useless, Useless Galena.

Berossus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2012, 05:26:14 am »

Also weapon traps help during the early stages of "how is militry formed?"

My son, many speak of the honor in war.
My preferred method is to wait until their back is turned, then impale them with a pike held by someone else.
Preferrably from a distance.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2012, 05:54:36 am »

^Not against megabeasts they don't.

Pit traps are of questionable utility as well, since drawbridges or hatches won't open if there's a ton of titan standing on 'em.
Of course, if you can make the thing dodge off a narrow path between pits...

As Telgin pointed out, this particular one was still pretty benign as titans go. Could have been a pitchblende quadruped with deadly dust or webs.
Also as Telgin pointed out, the best option is likely "Close the drawbridge and man the marksdorfs' towers!".
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Berossus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2012, 05:58:59 am »

Maybe dragons arent megabeasts, but the second 10-disc weapontrap is responsible for 60 units of dragontallow in my stocks...
My son, many speak of the honor in war.
My preferred method is to wait until their back is turned, then impale them with a pike held by someone else.
Preferrably from a distance.

Thatdude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2012, 08:04:39 am »

I think forgotten beasts are different to dragons. Namely forgotten beasts have the [TRAP_AVOID] tag, so conventional traps are useless when dealing with them.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2012, 08:55:47 am »

Maybe dragons arent megabeasts, but the second 10-disc weapontrap is responsible for 60 units of dragontallow in my stocks...

Dragons aren't [TRAP_AVOID].

The other thing to remember about dragons is that their size depends on their age, unlike titans and forgotten beasts.  Thus, you could have a juvenile dragon which is small enough to get smashed by a drawbridge, but this will never work with titans and forgotten beasts.  I believe it takes 1,000 years for a dragon to grow to adulthood, but exactly where this transitions to smashability I don't know.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2012, 06:21:10 pm »

Dragons aren't [TRAP_AVOID].

The other thing to remember about dragons is that their size depends on their age, unlike titans and forgotten beasts.  Thus, you could have a juvenile dragon which is small enough to get smashed by a drawbridge, but this will never work with titans and forgotten beasts.  I believe it takes 1,000 years for a dragon to grow to adulthood, but exactly where this transitions to smashability I don't know.

There is another thing to remember about them: dragonfire.  The Substance burns so hot it melts wood, stone… even steel. And of course flesh.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."
Pages: [1] 2