Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14

Author Topic: Faster Than Light: Roll to Jump  (Read 11281 times)

mesor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Faster Than Light: The Last Remnant
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2012, 09:00:38 pm »

Ur ship is strong and slow mine is small and fast.
U gotta hit us before ur laser counts.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2012, 09:24:00 pm »

There is no waitlist, per se. Rather not one where you can pick names and characters. You can request to become the next available crew member, but their race could be anything.

Anyways, let's take a look at our ship so far...

The Kestrel
Crew:
Captain Griffin, Human.  HP: 10
Eckmanis, Rock. Slow. HP: 15
Werty, Zoltan. Power Source. HP: 7
Leon Lurnadis, Mantis. Double damage in combat. -2 to Repair. HP:10

Now, let's go over a bit how the basic game will work. First, we'll start with moves and actions. These come in to flavours - Standard, and Combat. Standard actions allow you to move to different sections of the ship and accomplish various tasks at will. You'll be hailed and hail others, talk with them, potentially accept quests or do shopping, install things and upgrade your ship.

Combat actions will occur whenever you have ship-to-ship combat with another vessel, and things get a bit stricter. You can choose to man various stations, repel boarders, and generally attempt to tweak the ship to achieve peak performance and destroy the enemy vessel. You can also make it personal, boarding the enemy vessel to attempt to take it by force - this has many rewards, but is fairly dangerous for those who cross over.

The ship's stations have some level of automation - the reactor station will attempt to allocate energy, the shield station will attempt to keep shields at maximum power, the engine stations will attempt to react appropriately in response to the pilots remote commands. However, this automation is weak, and far less than optimal. If you're really short on crew, you can improve the automation quality later for a price. Stations can take damage, rendering them inoperable until they have been repaired. Character's can also gain levels in particular stations, which will occur whenever they roll a 6 while manning that station.

Here's an overview of your basic starting stations, and what you can do with them:

Primary Stations: You will want someone at each of these.
Pilot's Seat: Someone NEEDS to be manning this station (or the automation needs to be upgraded) in order to have any chance to evade incoming enemy attacks. Pilots may also attempt a Extreme Manuevers, to potentially gain a significant evasion bonus this turn. However, it may cause some damage to ship systems, as well as crew that haven't braced themselves in advance.
Weapons: The player in the weapons station decides whether to fire weapons, which weapons to fire, and where to aim them.
Shields: Manning this station allows a player to dynamically react to enemy frequencies, cycling the shields up and down bring shields back up to full power significantly faster after an attack. They may also attempt to Overload the shields, adding additional points of shield on top for this turn, but afterwards immediately dropping it down to zero, and disabling it for the following turn. There's also a chance of it causing some damage to the shield systems.

Secondary Stations: It's nice to have people on these.
Engine Room: This station will grant bonuses by supporting the pilot. They'll also help the FTL jump drive charge faster. They can expend additional units of fuel to trigger the Afterburner, giving an evasion boost.
Control Station: Manning this station makes a character a master of information and gives them system-wide control of the ship. The exact benefits depend on the investment in various ship subsystems, but at the least you control all internal ship cameras, the ability to open and close doors (and lock them, if locks have been purchased), and launching drones, although you don't start with drones.
Reactor Station: Manning this station allows a player to more effectively distribute energy, and make decisions as to which requests should be ignored if stations request more power than is available. You can also swap power much quicker than the system can, and a skilled reactor technician can make it seem as if there's more power available than there actually is. The Zoltan power bonus is doubled in this room.

Unmanned stations:
Camera control
Door control
Life Support

Here's the basic layout of your ship:

Code: [Select]

B
           O2          ,----,                 
         ,----.----,   |----|----. DOOR       
      ,--|----|---,'---|    |MED |----,----,--,
      |B |ENG |RCT|WEAP|----|----|----|CTRL|C:|
      '--|----|---'.---|    |SHLD|----'----'--'
         '----'----'   |----|----' SENS       
                       '----'
                         B

C: is the pilots seat
B is a Bay - These are rooms that have access to the outside. You currently have a shuttle being stored in the port bay. This is what you'll use for basic tasks requiring moving your crew around to non-ship places.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 09:35:07 pm by GlyphGryph »

mesor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2012, 09:26:40 pm »

I know which seat im taking :).

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Faster Than Light: Roll to Jump
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2012, 11:51:52 pm »

Equipment
Your ship starts with 8 bars from of power from your reactor, for things beyond the most basic ship functions. Some things, like the control room and pilots seat, do not use much power and run off this system power. The engines, shields, and weapons, however, require enormous amounts of energy to operate.

Shield Lv1 - You currently have one level of shield. Each level of shield takes 2 power and prevents one laser hit (before collapsing) or one level of beam (without collapsing).
Weapons (4 hard points) - You currently have three bars to apply to weapons - but you can choose your initial loadout. More on that later. You can only ever have four weapons at once on the Kestrel.
Engines Lv2 - You currently have two bars towards your engine, which is your max.
You have a level 1 life support (using up your final bar), a level 1 medbay (currently unpowered), and basic doors, sensors (cameras on board the ship), and no autopilot.
You also have a basic retrieval arm for spacework, and a decent amount of hanger space to store things of value (which runs under pretty much the entirety of the ship). Together, these will allow you to collect and store valuable from defeated enemies, which can be traded for ship improvements or new equipment.

About weapons
There are five main types of weapons in this game:

Lasers: Actually more like plasma, these high velocity energy weapons deal a point of damage each, but often fire and burts and generally recharge more quickly than other weapons. They are stopped by shields, but destroy a level of shield.

Missiles: Homing missiles move slow enough that they can penetrate enemy shields. Unlike lasers, however, missiles can not simply be created from reactor energy - they are complex, expensive devices.

Beams: These weapons offer the best damage per time unit return in the game, and they have a small amount of shield piercing. Rather than stopping them, shields merely reduce their effectiveness (and they do not collapse the shield). Few beams, however, are powerful to even penetrate one level of shield, and without something to knock it down they are useless.

Ion Weapons: These weapons fire a special kind of energy that disrupts enemy systems. Hitting an enemy shield disrupts the enemies shield generator as if it was hit directly. Ion damage does not last forever, but it cannot be repaired either - The effect from an ion weapon lasts for four turns.

Bombs: These items get teleported directly into the enemy ship, bypassing shields and other defenses! Unfortunately, they don't carry enough yield to do significant damage to the ship itself, but they are more than capable of killing personnel, setting fires, and wrecking enemy stations and subsystems.

So, let's pick some weapons...
Pick your weapons, and we'll be ready to head out! We have a few options available here, so pick, crew! (Also, claim your starting stations)

Quadgunner: You start with 4x Laser Mark I. These each send out a single laser, and can be fired every other turn. Spreading your offense out over several weapons and hardpoints makes you capable of continuing the assault even if two are damaged, but it does limit your upgrade options - you will end up having to replace weapons instead of simply adding new ones. And you'll have to more a bar of energy from somewhere else to power them all.

Federation Standard: You start with 1 Laser Mark II and an Artemis brand missile launcher, as well as a half dozen missiles. The Mark II uses up two bars of energy, but fires 3 laser blasts in the same amount of time it takes the Mark I to fire once! A definite upgrade.  The Artemis missile launcher is a fairly standard model, dealing 2 points of damage on impact.

The Hullfucker: You start with a Breach Missile Launcher, which takes 3 bars and deals 4 damage, in addition to creating a breach state - that means that the hole it creates is simply to big for the ships automated response to close - sucking all the air out of the room struck, and maybe even anyone located IN the room at the time, if they survive the blast. You also get a dozen missiles.

The Ionizer: You gain an Ion Blast Mark II. This weapon can fire every single turn, dealing 2 points of ion damage to whatever it hits. However, your offensive capabilities are limited - most likely, you'll have to disable their defenses and propulsion, and then send a boarding crew over in the shuttle to take the ship in hand to hand combat.

And finally...
You might also want to decide on your starting stations. In a turn of combat, remember, you can move up to three rooms, (except Rocks, who can move 1, and Mantis, who can move 6). At least one of you needs to pilot.

Once your choices have been made, we'll make our first jump!
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 12:11:14 am by GlyphGryph »

mesor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2012, 12:02:12 am »

Ill take Federation standard and also ill take the weapon control seat.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2012, 01:25:23 am »

I also realize some of you may be wondering exactly how all these... mechanics end up in an RTD. At least I was when I came up with the idea. But there's going to be quite a bit beyond ship combat,and ultimately most of these numbers will be fiddly on my end more than yours.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2012, 01:35:19 am »

Bluh bluh why do these things always happen while I'm in bed?

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2012, 01:51:30 am »

PTW

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2012, 05:39:20 am »

I vote for the 4 Mk 1 lasers and will go on the shields, cause every zoltan has to be a shields guy. :P And do the skills work like when you get the first full mastery you get a +1 and when you get the second full mastery you get a +2? For example If I get a full shields mastery, do I get a +2 in using shields, or is a different system
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 05:44:28 am by werty892 »

Flintus10

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2012, 06:19:32 am »

Looks like I'll be piloting this thing

And vote Federation Standard weapons.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2012, 06:38:55 am »

((Nooooooo! An RTD made by GLYPHGRYPH?!

...Waitlist.))

Bluh bluh why do these things always happen while I'm in bed?
^

Spoiler: Who am I? (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 06:44:08 am by Tiruin »

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2012, 07:46:01 am »

I vote for the 4 Mk 1 lasers and will go on the shields, cause every zoltan has to be a shields guy. :P And do the skills work like when you get the first full mastery you get a +1 and when you get the second full mastery you get a +2? For example If I get a full shields mastery, do I get a +2 in using shields, or is a different system

There are five available levels, and each offers a +1 to your results.

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2012, 09:07:43 am »

There are five available levels, and each offers a +1 to your results.

Ah, I see. Well since I got outvoted... AGAIN... Then we might as well start!

mesor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2012, 10:00:06 am »

(( its nothing personal werty i swear ))

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2012, 10:02:20 am »

Waitlist.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14