Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Game reviews from 2050  (Read 5527 times)

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
Game reviews from 2050
« on: September 24, 2012, 10:21:38 am »

Based absolutely shamelessy on this and that thread, what do YOU think various gaming services will say about Dwarf Fortress 2050?
(It could be one of the present things, like PC Gamer or CD-Action, or something brand new, God knows what it's named like)

(Sadly, I'm not creative enough right now to think of anything. HELP ME OUT BAY12!)

Nyan Thousand

• Bay Watcher
  • It's exactly nyan thousand!
    • View Profile
Re: Game reviews from 2050
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 10:32:19 am »

When I first heard the opening track to Dwarf Fortress, it was as if I was hearing the sonic equivalent of a burrito hitting a car's windshield. It was all downhill from here, to be quite honest. I don't even understand this genre. Is this electrohop? Instrumental hip hop? Ambient techno post-avant submarine core? It's a mix, they say. But this is a bad mix. It's like Dwarf Fortress takes all these well respected genres, each with their own legendary artists and makes absolute shit. It's done the impossible of fucking up something that can't possibly be fu-

Wait, what do you mean Dwarf Fortress isn't an album? What? But I've been listening to this for six years! Six years! I've... I've ruined my life.

I've ruined my life. 7.4/10.

(In loving memory of the author, Pitchfork.com's very own Ed Reilly, who committed suicide shortly after writing his review of Dwarf Fortress. May you rest in peace, Ed.)

i'm sorry. i'm as uninspired as you are.

Urist_McGamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 11:47:42 am »

When I first heard the opening track to Dwarf Fortress, it was as if I was hearing the sonic equivalent of a burrito hitting a car's windshield. It was all downhill from here, to be quite honest. I don't even understand this genre. Is this electrohop? Instrumental hip hop? Ambient techno post-avant submarine core? It's a mix, they say. But this is a bad mix. It's like Dwarf Fortress takes all these well respected genres, each with their own legendary artists and makes absolute shit. It's done the impossible of fucking up something that can't possibly be fu-

Wait, what do you mean Dwarf Fortress isn't an album? What? But I've been listening to this for six years! Six years! I've... I've ruined my life.

I've ruined my life. 7.4/10.

(In loving memory of the author, Pitchfork.com's very own Ed Reilly, who committed suicide shortly after writing his review of Dwarf Fortress. May you rest in peace, Ed.)

i'm sorry. i'm as uninspired as you are.

I wouldn't call that "uninspired", that was pretty good.
But others might prefer to have the mess contained behind windows to avoid tracking blood all over the their nice, color coordinated floor patterns. Kind of the Ozzy Osborne vs. Martha Stewart debate.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 08:21:49 pm »

"Can't tell what the hell is going on!" - gamertimebiweekly.com
"The best compiler I've used this year." - PCnation
"It's not worth the money to purchase." - oblivious.net
"The matrix got nothin on this." - Hollywood journal
"It might be good but I can't get a round started to tell." - Urist McBLogger
"Its lovely darling." - Your mother.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2012, 08:37:33 pm »

"The overlords are doing well."

"Classified. Discoveries of Earth being generated in Slaves to Armok: God of Blood: Chapter 2: Dwarf Fortress are ludicrous.'
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2012, 08:55:30 pm »

Urist McFriend, Programmer: Wow, thats a neat ass program maker you got there, mind If I take a look? Huh, why are gs following the Smiley faces? Why Does this want me to input my prefered technological period?
?/10
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2012, 08:58:10 pm »

first-person-games.comē
"zyx3dman", Paid Reviewer

Dwarf Fortress
Okay, we said it before last year when some demented old twat put out Version 1.0.36 of his oh-so-hipster ASCII throwback to the hellish times of composite monitors and phonographic Betamaxes, but who the hell plays this game? It's almost fifty years old by now. Even the pricks behind another incomprehensible ASCII mess gave up sometime in the double-zeros! Seriously, stop digging up this ancient crap on the forums. Anyway, I suppose I have to give an actual review because this sodding mess of text has somehow made it to the top of the ballots AGAIN. Bay13 forums, you aren't funny and I hope your server throws a qbit.

Gameplay
As we all know, this game features "hyper-realism". Where is the hyper-realism? I don't see it, because as soon as I open up THE DEVELOPER ARENA MADE FOR EASY TESTING and spawn the two most badass creatures in the game all I see is a little 😎 beating the living shit out of a little bitty ▄ (it raises and falls which makes it look surprisingly less 20's-like: nerds know it as "The Undulating Land-Sponge") with 2's flying everywhere. It took about half an hour to dig up those two godawful Unicode 6 relics and another ten minutes to look up where the hell they even came from. This game is so retro I'm surprised the creator isn't dead yet.

When I play adventurer mode, I find a little @. I don't know what the stats do so I boost Musicality. Of course, I end up getting murdered by a peasant with a boning knife (ha ha ha) even though I was sneaking when I killed his family. What kind of shitty game doesn't let you play the bad guy?! I just wanted to single-handedly kill the entire civilization. Seriously, was Toady way ahead of the "you play as a hero who can actually DO STUFF" curve? Because this sucks!! 2A/FF

Graphics
dsfakljfaklfeasjf329ri9efeiolkdfksldsvdsf'se;fwefwejkfwqdmkjhkjdskjdscadchkjdsacbnask

I have just accurately replicated the graphics of this SHITTY GAME for you. 2/FF

Fun Factor
Most of you will have heard of this game from the epic projects people claim to have built. When rendered in absolutely turd-worthy procedural ASCII-art, everything looks like shit, so don't bother. Fortress Mode is an absolutely lost cause, being so boring that I actually cooked and ate my cat instead of playing it. 0/FF

Verdict
Don't even bother with this boring pile of taint - play Call of Duty 47 or something less likely to waste your time.

- zyx3dman
My wooden badge was delicious.

scion-of-fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • All Things Serve the Beam.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2012, 09:25:39 pm »

first-person-games.comē

Dwarf Fortress
Okay, we said it before last year when some demented old twat put out Version 1.0.36 of his oh-so-hipster ASCII throwback to the hellish times of composite monitors and phonographic Betamaxes, but who the hell plays this game? It's almost fifty years old by now. Even the pricks behind another incomprehensible ASCII mess gave up sometime in the double-zeros! Seriously, stop digging up this ancient crap on the forums. Anyway, I suppose I have to give an actual review because this sodding mess of text has somehow made it to the top of the ballots AGAIN. Bay13 forums, you aren't funny and I hope your server throws a qbit.

Gameplay
As we all know, this game features "hyper-realism". Where is the hyper-realism? I don't see it, because as soon as I open up THE DEVELOPER ARENA MADE FOR EASY TESTING and spawn the two most badass creatures in the game all I see is a little 😎 beating the living shit out of a little bitty ▄ (it raises and falls which makes it look surprisingly less 20's-like: nerds know it as "The Undulating Land-Sponge") with 2's flying everywhere. It took about half an hour to dig up those two godawful Unicode 6 relics and another ten minutes to look up where the hell they even came from. This game is so retro I'm surprised the creator isn't dead yet.

When I play adventurer mode, I find a little @. I don't know what the stats do so I boost Musicality. Of course, I end up getting murdered by a peasant with a boning knife (ha ha ha) even though I was sneaking when I killed his family. What kind of shitty game doesn't let you play the bad guy?! I just wanted to single-handedly kill the entire civilization. Seriously, was Toady way ahead of the "you play as a hero who can actually DO STUFF" curve? Because this sucks!! 2A/FF

Graphics
dsfakljfaklfeasjf329ri9efeiolkdfksldsvdsf'se;fwefwejkfwqdmkjhkjdskjdscadchkjdsacbnask

I have just accurately replicated the graphics of this SHITTY GAME for you. 2/FF

Fun Factor
Most of you will have heard of this game from the epic projects people claim to have built. When rendered in absolutely turd-worthy procedural ASCII-art, everything looks like shit, so don't bother. Fortress Mode is an absolutely lost cause, being so boring that I actually cooked and ate my cat instead of playing it. 0/FF

Verdict
Don't even bother with this boring pile of taint - play Call of Duty 47 or something less likely to waste your time.

- zyx3dman

... This makes me really sad, AND IT'S NOT EVEN REAL!
Long Days and Pleasant Nights, Stranger.

Phlum

• Bay Watcher
  • Above Is my true form, no mortal shall see it!
    • View Profile
    • Idontwanttowork
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2012, 09:48:42 pm »

This game has no type of coherent interface, why would someone waste their time on this trash? It's not worth the data or icon space. Truly dwarf fortress is a pitiful throwback to 1970, why they would not take the time to buy the simple graphics programs to make the game look real?  what is this idea of this game?

I have visited the forums that support this game, does it come from an asylum?

« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 09:50:27 pm by Phlum »
So I have spoken, may this thread live long!!

I don't share my age online, no one takes horny 14 year olds seriously.

"dwarf fortress is autism in a game"  -a guy named rick

Urist_McGamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2012, 10:22:48 pm »

This game has no type of coherent interface, why would someone waste their time on this trash? It's not worth the data or icon space. Truly dwarf fortress is a pitiful throwback to 1970, why they would not take the time to buy the simple graphics programs to make the game look real?  what is this idea of this game?

I have visited the forums that support this game, does it come from an asylum?

Would anyone in 2050 even think about 1970? It will have been 80 years ago then!
first-person-games.comē

Dwarf Fortress

Gameplay

Graphics

Fun Factor

Verdict

- zyx3dman

I'm liking the hex numbers instead of just X/10.
But others might prefer to have the mess contained behind windows to avoid tracking blood all over the their nice, color coordinated floor patterns. Kind of the Ozzy Osborne vs. Martha Stewart debate.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2012, 10:24:57 pm »

Saying a game has 1970 graphics would be like us saying a game has 1930 graphics: Absurdly horrible.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2012, 10:26:45 pm »

Seriously though, this thread is making me cry.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2012, 10:36:09 pm »

!!!News Broadcast Emergency!!!
With the release of the newest version of dwarf fortress which claims to have solved the memory-leaks and inherent AI taking over your computer complex comes the daring inclusion of mind-to-game direct link.

However the developer failed to test what the uplink would do to the regular human mind having only tested on himself, his sentient cat and the lunatic horde which follows him and appears to have developed an immunity to the mind searing controls and interface. 

With the loss or direct exit of the game, not to mention glitches and raw duplication (whatever the hell this is) it seems to have the effect of driving the user into a state called'   "STARK RAVING MAD"  among any number of other game inflicted mental disorders.

The current number of infected is rising well into the billions with the current population of the moon being deemed 'caught in a tantrum spiral'.

While this game may be the most popular release in decades, it seems to have broken it's title from Losing is Fun, down into Losing Drives you Insane.
Nom nom nom

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2012, 10:41:29 pm »

THE NEWEST VERSION OF DWARF FORTRESS IS MASTER-WORK QUALITY. TOADY IS THE GREATEST MIND SINCE PRIME-MINISTER MISKO. ALL HAIL THE MARTIAN EMPIRE.

Hopefully.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2012, 10:52:21 pm »

So I heard about this new "dwarf Fortress" game. Apparently, some dude was working on this his whole life without stopping, until he finally keeled over from natural causes. Looking at this game (and you will have to look pretty hard, since the graphics are older than radio), I'm surprised it took him that long to do it, considering he must have been living off of Red Bull Super and whatever potato chips were big Pre-war.

The reason I'm saying that is because despite the game looking like a word processor spazzing out it basically ate my HD whole and almost fried my graphics card. I'm payed to play games, so those are pretty BA cards, and I was confused as to why this happened. Eventually I'd come to find out that by limiting the Framerate I could run it and oh my god what is going on.

It took me a week to figure out how to dig a hole. It took me another week to figure out food. It took me a third week to actually survive the first year. But by that time, I wasn't seeing the word-salad graphics. I started seeing dwarves. I started seeing animals. I started seeing goblins, who immediately reamed my defenses like I was playing on hardcore. That's when I realized the game was entirely in iron-man mode and I just really lost for realsies.

After sobbing, I restarted and decided to work on bigger defenses. I built a thick wall; the goblins paused for abit and tunneled beneath. I built a moat; the goblins built a little bridge and busted open the crude drawbridge I had erected. I trained a squad of warrior dwarves in full armor. There were ten of them, and nine died.

You see, the thing that makes Dwarf Fortress interesting is that despite looking like dog shit (I cannot stress this enough the GAME HAS NO GRAPHICS AT ALL. AND IT FRIED MY CARD) things happen that when you can finally figure out what's going on, well, it's obscenely fun.

All in all, I'll give it a 7/10. I would rate it a 10/10, but after sitting latched onto my PC like a leech for a month and a half I need glasses and a new desktop. That was a Exabyte drive, dammit.

Regardless, it's a game that's hard to get into and even harder to let go. If you feel like taking a break from TES XI: Falreach's misty forests, or Elementals speedy gameplay, Dwarf Fortress is worth a try. Because, get this, it's free. And not just because the creator is dead. He seems to have lived off of donations, which says something about people in the good old days. Back in the 2010's, when life was easy and simple.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have just found a upright sword buried deep in my fort and I want to see what its stats are. Adamantine is good, I think.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.
Pages: [1] 2