Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Question about vomitorium.  (Read 2864 times)

roughedge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Question about vomitorium.
« on: September 23, 2012, 09:05:08 pm »

I have heard about a vomitorium, a place where dwarves vomit due to exposition to the sun I guess; am I correct? Is it possible to make dwarves vomit in another way on purpose? And can you forbid vomit so it doesn't get clean? I'd really like to have a vomit factory.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
Re: Question about vomitorium.
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2012, 09:14:40 pm »

Punch dwarves in the stomach.

Make it so all of your dwarves never go outsiide. have a single room inside that is exposed to the outside. Everytime a dwarf goes in there, he'll vomit. don't know about the not cleaining part though.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2012, 09:20:10 pm »

Disable cleaning on -all- of your dwarves, or something. Not sure if that will work though.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

roughedge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2012, 09:26:08 pm »

Also, does a glass floor permit the sun rays to enter and induce vomiting?

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2012, 09:43:11 pm »

Glass doesn't behave any differently from other materials at the moment, unfortunately.

thiosk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2012, 09:46:17 pm »

Once you expose a tile to the sun, in any way, you can then build 100 floors of solid granite wall over it and it will behave as if its in the center of a sunny meadow.  This lets you build an aboveground castle, highly insulated from goblinite threats.

crekit

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't know what he's talking about.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2012, 10:07:57 pm »

However, I don't think they actually lose cave adaption if they have a roof over their heads. They just suffer the negative consequences.. or something.
<-- Has no idea what just happened.

He likes gold, native gold, trees that are made of gold, and tungsten. He likes cats for their haunting meows. He needs dwarf fortress to get through the working day. When possible, prefers to consume Potatoes, cheese, cow milk. Absolutely detests elves. And spiders.

roughedge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2012, 10:14:44 pm »

Ill post back on this!

roughedge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2012, 10:57:22 pm »

How long does it take for dwarves to become cave adapted?

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2012, 11:08:21 pm »

Glass doesn't behave any differently from other materials at the moment, unfortunately.
But you can pretend it does. I'm pretty sure you can build a drawbridge out of clear glass, and put it over your vomitorium. Act like it's the sun's rays coming down through it that trigger your dwarves' projectile nausea, when really that will only happen when you have the bridge raised/retracted.

Bonus: Keep a caged high-ranking enemy in this room.
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

roughedge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2012, 12:01:25 am »

Unfortunately a great tantrum spiral is consuming my fortress... but overall  about 30 dwarves are surviving half of them child. The surface has been wiped by sand raiders with polar bears.....  sand raiders with polar bears!

roughedge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2012, 12:15:55 am »

The weak have been purged by the strife of dwarven life. Remaining dwarves have cheered up among the piles of cadavers of their brethren. MurderedGirder hold onto their ideal of building a vomitorium!

thiosk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2012, 02:03:56 am »

It took a while to gain control of the surface.  I'm wondering how long actually curing cave adaptation takes...

kero42

• Bay Watcher
  • Das sind mir unbekannte Blumen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2012, 04:55:44 am »

I have heard about a vomitorium, a place where dwarves vomit due to exposition to the sun.
Now I really want to do this too. Unfortunatly (being a newb to this game :-\), the only food production method I can consistantly rely on me not messing up is fishing, so unless I get one of those rivers that runs through a mountain, I probably won't be able to. Plus, I have no idea how to keep my dwarves inside without making them die a slow and painful death due to thirst or hunger. How do underground tree farms work again?

EDIT: Also, I too would like to know how long it takes to contract/cure cave adaption. Is it a matter of weeks, months, or (Armok-forbid) years spent inside to get it? I assume it would take less time outside to cure than it would take inside to be affected.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 05:00:46 am by kero42 »
Something I find interesting and thought I should share: DF from scratch: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=127552.0

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2012, 05:31:17 am »

The wiki is more exact, but i think full cave adaptation is about a year or so.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.
Pages: [1] 2