Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Island-Mainland Hypothesis!  (Read 2362 times)

arkhometha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Island-Mainland Hypothesis!
« on: September 22, 2012, 11:13:10 am »

Okay, I don't know if this is was tested before and I do know I don't see any reference in the wiki, so here I go.
So I decided to test my theory of connecting islands with bridges to the mainland, here are the results:

First, I found strange that that one side of the island could get caravans and goblin sieges. But nevermind that, I went searching the island.

I then found this spot. Only dwarfs come in here so this is genuinely an island without humans, goblins or elves. I screenshot for future reference, and went to build the bridge in the canal that you can see in the last image.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I proceeded to build the bridge, and spawned some obsidian because I didn't have enough stone because the ocean flooded the holes I made on the shores to get stone, because that was the only spot I had stone. I made the entire thing 5 tiles wide just to be sure, but by lack of materials one spot didn't have everything and it ended only one tile wide. I marked the map as a lair, just to be sure.

I build a depot on the other side to test Depot Access only to remember that one spot that is one tile wide. Oh well I abandoned the fortress.

And here's the results! I checked everywhere on the island and took a screenshot in the same place as screenshot 2, and now every civilization has access to the island. I didn't test if caravan come through but sieges do come and it civilization screen marks that you can have contact with other civilizations, so I think they will come. Next time, I must fin and updated embark anywhere mod and test a fucking long bridge.

In the futures, I will test if caravans come to this island then I will use embark anywhere or the current version equivalent of it and try and make multiple fortress bridges, so to test if a long bridge can distant islands to civilization.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 11:15:28 am by arkhometha »

arkhometha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Island-Mainland Hypothesis!
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2012, 11:14:40 am »

Shit, forgot to mark as images as spoilers. Correcting that.

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2012, 11:28:37 am »

Some things to test/verify:

-You need to abandon your fortress after you finished the bridge for the accessibility to take effect.
-You need to have at least a 3 tiles wide bridge for wagons to come.
-You can't build bridges over gaps that are larger than one embark grid (one tile in the middle map of the embark screen, I don't know the term for that), since they don't overlap and you can't build on the border tile of your embark area.
CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105376.0

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2012, 11:31:37 am »

you can't build on the border tile of your embark area.
You can build floors and bridges on the edge.

Canadark

• Bay Watcher
  • meet me in the mead hall
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2012, 11:53:51 am »

I have done this test before except that it was to connect two continents (rather than an island and a continent) that were separated by a narrow channel.

During bridge construction, goblins actually launched attacks from the side where there were no goblin civilizations before I ever even completed the bridge. This led me to believe that access has no relevance on the game map.

I am surprised to see that you were able to connect the island by effectively altering the geography of the world. Hopefully future updates will allow players to construct causeways across the ocean by overlapping the embark areas.
You all do know that we everytime we gen a world in DF, a new universe is created somewhere, and everytime we delete a save we kill a whole world?
Aye, we are Armok, god of blood, evil, villager gutting, fortress building, legend making and elf thongs.

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2012, 12:12:15 pm »

You only need embark and abandon to connect an island/continent that is close enough to the mainland. Actually building a physical bridge is unneccesary.

Once you've abandonned/crumble it marks and changes that region tile into the abandonned fortress deal. That tile even if it was impassable ocean/mountains before, is now treated as passable land for all races. With embark anywhere, you can string a series of abandonned forts across a huge mountain range or sea, to some previously inaccessible area.

A link to an old post of mine demonstrating this in a lil more detail.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=64032.msg1521068#msg1521068
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 12:23:40 pm by Patchy »

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2012, 12:13:47 pm »

So it was just constructed walls that didn't work?
CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105376.0

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2012, 12:18:47 pm »

So it was just constructed walls that didn't work?
And traps, workshops and a few other things besides.

arkhometha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2012, 12:37:42 pm »

You only need embark and abandon to connect an island/continent that is close enough to the mainland. Actually building a physical bridge is unneccesary.

Once you've abandonned/crumble it marks and changes that region tile into the abandonned fortress deal. That tile even if it was impassable ocean/mountains before, is now treated as passable land for all races. With embark anywhere, you can string a series of abandonned forts across a huge mountain range or sea, to some previously inaccessible area.

Thanks, didn't know about that. Gotta put that on wiki.
But I find better to put bridges, so adventurers can pass and to make the world a little more real.

Canadark

• Bay Watcher
  • meet me in the mead hall
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2012, 03:42:23 pm »

This makes perfect sense. I hope that in the future the game will more accurately accommodate bridges, tunnels, and other geographic modifications and how they affect access.
You all do know that we everytime we gen a world in DF, a new universe is created somewhere, and everytime we delete a save we kill a whole world?
Aye, we are Armok, god of blood, evil, villager gutting, fortress building, legend making and elf thongs.

Mimidormi

• Bay Watcher
  • Magnetite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2012, 04:07:46 am »