Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Slender Man: Giving a Piggyback  (Read 1669 times)

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
Slender Man: Giving a Piggyback
« on: September 20, 2012, 12:59:23 am »

So, Slender Man, being the kind patron he is, decided to bring along a rather invasive browser Hijacker called chatzum, or search safer onto my computer. I can only assume that they both simply want to frazzle me. This little creature, while not exactly evil (On a scale of Innocent to Hitler i dub it douche) is rather annoying, forcing me to have to switch around my settings over and over again. Not only that, but it refuses to die. Any advice?

Kedly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Slender Man: Giving a Piggyback
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2012, 01:02:35 am »

Find more reliable sites to download from? =P Jokes aside, use google to try and find a way to remove that program? Google search: How do I remove chatzum from my computer?
((No.  ER Lasers are tickle generators, and dispense hugs, loves, and puppies.))
The fedora guy has potentially lethal amounts of swag :v

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2012, 01:03:13 am »

Malware bytes, perhaps?
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2012, 02:54:09 am »

It seems there is a little debate about wether or not it's malware, it's mostly just difficult to remove, i guess i'll just keep trying XD. Damn, i hate turning my computer to safe mode, dunno why.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2012, 08:05:19 am »

i hate turning my computer to safe mode, dunno why.

Because it smacks of defeat. Don't let the machines win!
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2012, 10:15:21 am »

Honestly, if it resists being uninstalled, I'd go ahead and treat it as malware.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2012, 10:38:46 am »

Honestly, if it resists being uninstalled, I'd go ahead and treat it as malware.

Thus why Norton and most DRM are hated.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2012, 12:53:34 pm »

Hehe, yeah. Things that take over your browser without asking you are annoying. I recently re-installed bittorrent to download black mesa. Suddenly, i randomly have a extra toolbar and another home page and standard search machine.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2012, 01:08:52 pm »

Hehe, yeah. Things that take over your browser without asking you are annoying. I recently re-installed bittorrent to download black mesa. Suddenly, i randomly have a extra toolbar and another home page and standard search machine.
Well in their defence they do repeatedly say it's free as long as you use their stuff.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2012, 01:42:50 pm »

And, if you pay attention during the install, I'm pretty sure you can disable it.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2012, 01:44:59 pm »

Uncheck yonder boxes, good chap. Wot wot.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2012, 03:40:20 pm »

Those are given as options in the installer you know, they're not mandatory.
Or at least, I've never noticed any bittorrent homepages or toolbars being forcibly installed.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2012, 05:02:33 pm »

I went through the registry and hunted it down, as well as the toolbar, and removed all of the settings it had latched onto my computer with.