Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: A Philosophical Debate of Human Worth and Related Moral Quandaries  (Read 5855 times)

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
Re: A Philosophical Debate of Human Worth and Related Moral Quandaries
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2012, 09:28:58 am »

Yay!  wait...almost felons can have guns.  Unless you on probation or something.  Take it from the ex-military DUI guy himself.  8)

I'm on 'enhanced probation'. No guns. They made that pretty clear. :P Once I get off this though, I can own as many guns as I want.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2012, 09:32:35 am »

I was hoping this thread was about existentialism.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2012, 12:08:40 pm »

I was hoping this thread was about existentialism.
Can make one if you want, but dunno if there'd be much to talk about. Other than sharing what we're existential/nihilistic about.

PS: The world is just awesome. And sad. But awesome.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2012, 08:04:01 pm »

Yay!  wait...almost felons can have guns.  Unless you on probation or something.  Take it from the ex-military DUI guy himself.  8)

I'm on 'enhanced probation'. No guns. They made that pretty clear. :P Once I get off this though, I can own as many guns as I want.

If it's not a touchy subject may I ask why?

And, on topic, the only way to force someone to give over their stuff is by threatening violence, so one's life should be considered in danger if they are the subject of a robbery, and thus violence is a morally acceptable reaction to an attempted robbery.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2012, 08:09:22 pm »

It really depends on the situation. If someone is going to just knock you out, then no, it's obviously not acceptable to kill them. If they have a gun to your forehead, it's much more justified, though still not the best possible solution. You can't just say that murder is always an acceptable alternative to being robbed.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2012, 09:38:54 pm »

That's why we have the reasonable limits on self-defence. Personally I think they're a little tight, but then I think most regulation is a little tight.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2012, 09:46:10 pm »

If it's not a touchy subject may I ask why?

Indeed, it is not a touchy subject. I'm a drug addict, friend. I got caught with some pills of the highly illegal variety, and charged with two felonies. I was placed on a Drug Court program, which, if I complete it successfully, will erase my felonies.
To be honest, I wasn't addicted to a specific drug, just being high. I wasn't a methhead or a smack junkie or anything. Never used needles. Just don't like being sober. :P
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2012, 10:04:05 pm »

Well thanks for assuaging my curiosity. I can't say I endorse it, but I can understand why.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2012, 10:07:48 pm »

Well thanks for assuaging my curiosity. I can't say I endorse it, but I can understand why.

Sure thing. I can't say I endorse it either, as I don't think anyone should do drugs. It's unhealthy, stupid, and wasteful.
But I choose to do it regardless, so eh. Take from that what you will.
He's fucking with us.

DarkWolfXV

• Bay Watcher
  • Infernally rotten to the gore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2012, 10:38:08 am »

Is it acceptable to use lethal force to prevent a damaging but nonlethal crime? For example, if you are armed with a death ray of some sort, that always kills, is it morally acceptable to use it on them to prevent the rape?

Yes, totally yes, if some pedophile priest wanted to rape a little child i would death ray the fuck out of him, rape can screw whole life.
Plus who knows what the guy wanted to do after rape? Kill the victim? Torture him/her? Its better to kill the rapist, a lot of rapists just dispose of victim by killing him/her.

Though, if someone is just stealing, i would rather not kill him, he might have really good reasons to steal, but as someone said rape has no excuses.

but a rapist is worth so little that preventing harm is a good enough reason to kill him
Goats will ignore your grass and eat the neighbours' roses. They're just evil bastards like that.
Probably thats why they are used with pentagrams on covers of Satanic Black Metal albums.
BURNING SHIT AND EATING ROOSESSSSSS DDOFOFAOAARRRAHYYYE

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2012, 05:16:08 pm »

A rapist isn't inherently worth less. They're worth less because there's a vastly higher possibility that they will rape someone in the future. If you can prevent that with certainty, that is far preferable to killing them.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 21, 2012, 07:07:50 pm »

I would say that being immoral does in fact make your moral value less than that of a more moral person.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 21, 2012, 07:09:28 pm »

I would say that being immoral does in fact make your moral value less than that of a more moral person.

:-[
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2012, 07:12:03 pm »

If you're talking about your, erm... reputation... then I at least would argue that's not at all immoral and thus even with the "immoral person = less moral worth as a person" mindset you're pretty much safe :)
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2012, 07:17:12 pm »

A rapist isn't inherently worth less. They're worth less because there's a vastly higher possibility that they will rape someone in the future. If you can prevent that with certainty, that is far preferable to killing them.
So they are worth less. It's just for a reason. (In this situation, of course, we know that he is gonna rape someone like REALLY SOON, i.e. you, and thus we can be pretty sure of the future-crime)

So let's broaden the question now to the original other-thread topic of whether or not humans can be worth different amounts, directly.

Is it moral to choose one person you value to live at the expense of two others you value less?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4