Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Do you prefer to dig down in an open area, or carve into a mountainside?  (Read 8299 times)

Donuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Madman
    • View Profile
Re: Do you prefer to dig down in an open area, or carve into a mountainside?
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2012, 12:38:20 pm »

Staircase in the snow, lets me use the river for an watertrap with infinite ammo.

Any chance of a snapshot save of this?

L.
Nope, but it's easy :)
"Oh shit, they've got a slogan! It means they're serious!"

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2012, 12:56:29 pm »

I like to carve out a huge hole using ramps and construct a giant tower rising out of the subsequent crater.

I'll just say, carving the crater gets very interesting when you have an aquifer layer or two.
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

Noobazzah

• Bay Watcher
  • Make lye, not war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2012, 01:33:15 pm »

I like carving into a mountain, because it just somehow feels more dwarven-like. Much easier to keep track of things as well.

PaleBlueHammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2012, 02:10:17 pm »

Staircase in the snow, lets me use the river for an watertrap with infinite ammo.

Any chance of a snapshot save of this?

L.
Nope, but it's easy :)

I don't know about him, but I'm having a hard time conceptualizing what you're talking about.

A staircase in the snow, lets you use a river (where?) for what with ammo?

Do you mean ice? As in waiting until the river freezes in the winter and making your fort underneath it?
Quote from: misko27
If adamantine is revealed for more then 2 years without being completely mined it all turns into galena. Useless, Useless Galena.

Revanchist

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you for helping us help you help us all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2012, 02:58:11 pm »

I prefer going to a flat or lightly hilled area, so I can be meaner to the elves on their homeland... It's more personal that way. I only use mountains for their volcanos. Other than that they are useless to me.
Definition: 'Love' is making a shot to the knees of a target 120 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope... Love is knowing your target, putting them in your targeting reticule, and together, achieving a singular purpose against statistically long odds."

People love a happy ending. So every episode, I will explain once again that I don't like people. And then Mal will shoot someone. Someone we like. And their puppy.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2012, 03:01:58 pm »

I always try to use available hills/mountains. If I'm in a flat area I make a above-ground castle. I just can't stand the idea of a mountainhome being a hole in the ground.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Boozeanator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2012, 03:49:50 pm »

I embark only on perfectly flat areas and dig until I find a floor that is all stone and lower than the deepest valley. My current fort is a giant spiral, diameter ~30 tiles, drops several z-levels per twist. The ceiling in the spiral is three levels above the floor. Rooms come directly off the spiral, with only very short hallways. Right now the center of the spiral is a solid column of rock 10 tiles across, it will likely become much more open. Something like a giant pit with a few platforms protruding into it.

I hate digging into mountains, the geometry of the mountain is always getting in the way. Plus, mountainous areas are sooo much harder to survey: you have to hit > and < like 80 times just to find something on the surface. With a flat plane you can see it all at once.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2012, 05:00:45 pm »

I prefer to dig into hillsides but prefer fairly flat sites.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

the woods

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2012, 05:14:46 pm »

Digging into a natural wall is a bit more secure, because goblins can ride flying mounts during a siege and go over constructed walls, not to mention buzzards flying in, messing up all the traps, and then a series of ambushes begin. Bleuch, ugh, yuck. You could build covered, walled-in areas in your outdoor sections if you prefer digging down but it takes a while and has some hefty opportunity costs and risks.

Sometimes I have to start at a flat site because it's the only place in the world that satisfies my political parameters. I like to start at war with elves, preferably with goblin and no human neighbors.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2012, 05:16:30 pm »

Digging into a natural wall is a bit more secure, because goblins can ride flying mounts during a siege and go over constructed walls, not to mention buzzards flying in, messing up all the traps, and then a series of ambushes begin. Bleuch, ugh, yuck. You could build covered, walled-in areas in your outdoor sections if you prefer digging down but it takes a while and has some hefty opportunity costs and risks.

Sometimes I have to start at a flat site because it's the only place in the world that satisfies my political parameters. I like to start at war with elves, preferably with goblin and no human neighbors.

why no humes?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

the woods

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2012, 05:18:47 pm »

why no humes?

They just want to come over and drop off their stupid food and idiot toys in exchange for other meaningless idiot toys and symbols. It's stupid, it's absurd, I hate it, it's just like real life.

pixl97

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2012, 05:22:48 pm »

I prefer a flat map with a river. Mostly so once the walls and entrance maze has been formed I can keep an eye on the entire battle at once. It also makes setting burrows and mass forbidding bodies and war chunks easy in battle. The entrance will be a ramp down a few levels, then back up one so I can use a bridge like an air lock and keep everyone out if the situation gets that dire. On my current map I am in the process of building huge water tanks above z0 with pumps, levers, and raised channels everywhere.

In general when I decide to embark in hilly areas, eventually I'll flatten the land with miners in the end.

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2012, 06:46:54 pm »

Depends, if I see a nice looking section of hilly/mountain terrain and it inspires me, I'll dig into that. Otherwise I'll just dig down and leave my usual small keep/trade depot on the surface.

Chilton

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok Cultist - Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2012, 08:53:20 pm »

Depends. If its an aesthetically pleasing mountainside, totally. If not, I like to dig down to just above the Caverns.
I Like To Think Of Myself As An Artist - I Create Masterpieces With My Tools Of Trade.

Hydrall

• Bay Watcher
  • Target Verified: Commencing Hostilities
    • View Profile
    • TVTropes
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2012, 09:04:11 pm »

Definitely mountainside. I try to keep my forts to a strict 3 z-level size: Workshops in the middle, residences on top and storage/stuff like that on the bottom.
After seven days and seven nights, God said "Screw this!" and abandoned the fortress.

Uristmcfisherdwarf cancels fish: Interrupted by harmless minnow
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4