Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Inexplicable Pride Moments  (Read 2503 times)

GuesssWho

• Bay Watcher
  • A scaly cat. Beware its acidic webs!
    • View Profile
Inexplicable Pride Moments
« on: September 18, 2012, 01:48:39 am »

I think my hunter just killed a wild yak with a crossbow. Am inexplicably proud.

Has anyone else had similar moments of glee?
I have no clue what I am doing here.

I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Re: Inexplicable Pride Moments
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 02:07:41 am »

I once caught a cave dragon. I think that was less "glee" and more "WTFAWESOME :D"
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Rtyh-C

• Bay Watcher
  • Slaughtering elves in low Earth orbit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 02:46:26 am »

My fortress was a very happy, drunk mess of midgets. That is, until the goblins decided to attack me. 5 ambushes, one right after the other. Together, they killed about 10-20 of my 110 dwarves. Having no military, I fought back with miners and hunters. Miraculously, I survived. However, I had my first tantrum spiral right afterwards, which ended several months later with 11 sad survivors (one of them, a baby, later died of infection). Immediately afterwards, I had my first siege. Stopping it was easy though, I just locked the front door :P After a few more months, they decided it was pointless to wait for me to open the door, got bored, and left. An elven caravan arrived soon after. I opened the door, got ambushed and promptly lost.

Yes, I am really proud that I lost ;) Finally, it's not FPS death that gets me.
By that logic, you shouldn't be able to play dwarves because they don't show thinking ability.

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 02:52:34 am »

When i released HFS totally by accident in a glaciar fortress. Cue a totally awesome moment when the glacier melted and the whole fortress
sunk in the boiling artic sea.
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability

Cozmopolit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 03:12:58 am »

Giant eagle chicks have hatched.

Only took 96 years of this fortress to finally breed something useful.

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2012, 07:36:00 am »

My firs encounter with Necromancers, I still didn't know what I was doing with the military.  I managed to kill enough zombies that he turned and ran, taking most of his friends with him.  No losses on my part.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2012, 01:20:32 pm »

When a single macedwarf armed with akimbo maces killed a giant noseless horse FB. It was a colassal hooved monster, hence my joy.

I was expecting that dwarf to die and leave three unhappy kids and a widower. She's the fortress champion now.

waldo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2012, 03:06:17 pm »

playing adventure mode for the first time in 3 years was actually kinda fun when i finally managed to not get myself killed long enough to take on a bandit camp and win. though my biggest pride moment was finally figuring out the newer military system to something that would allow me to actually use it without having my entire fortress turn into happy funbags of dwarf blood.

Berossus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2012, 04:53:04 pm »

When my champion duelled a goblin swordmaster, both in copper armor with copper weapons, and after 4 pages of blocking and dodging and glancing he just had enough and bashed the greenskins skull through its brain with his bare fist.
My son, many speak of the honor in war.
My preferred method is to wait until their back is turned, then impale them with a pike held by someone else.
Preferrably from a distance.

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2012, 07:08:14 pm »

When my legendary archer took a nap outside in the middle of a siege, only to get up and slaughter every single one of the goblins and trolls, without a single injury
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together

WaffleEggnog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2012, 07:44:47 pm »

When one of my Dwarves just chops some or ll of the limbs of something off. Just so satisfying having my badass run in and chop a few poor fella's hands off.
WHEN POSSIBLE, I PREFER TO CONSUME YOUR FACE.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2012, 08:53:21 pm »

When a ambush was spotted by a off-duty military dwarf, who immediately activates and evicerates all of them.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Chilton

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok Cultist - Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2012, 09:09:16 pm »

I was building over a watery cavern. Then a spidery forgotten beast showed up, and crawled onto a walkway.
...Then one of my dwarves, the Mayor no less, came charging in, became enraged, and wrestled the Spider off the walkway. The both fell down into the water. As He drowned to death, He punched it in the head until He broke its skull.
It just laid paralysed down there until one day i accidentally shot it with an archer.
I Like To Think Of Myself As An Artist - I Create Masterpieces With My Tools Of Trade.

xoseph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2012, 09:37:55 pm »

Random pride: A dwarf carved an artifact bone grate that was adorned with an image of an artifact ring from a previous fortress.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2012, 09:46:28 pm »

I was building over a watery cavern. Then a spidery forgotten beast showed up, and crawled onto a walkway.
...Then one of my dwarves, the Mayor no less, came charging in, became enraged, and wrestled the Spider off the walkway. The both fell down into the water. As He drowned to death, He punched it in the head until He broke its skull.
It just laid paralysed down there until one day i accidentally shot it with an archer.
Wait, spiders have skulls?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.
Pages: [1] 2