Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10

Author Topic: Feudalism Redux  (Read 14876 times)

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
Re: Feudalism Redux
« Reply #90 on: September 21, 2012, 12:00:21 am »

Is it possible I could be an advisor to a lord?  It's probably explained in the rules, but I don't see anything about advisors, would that be the same as being the leader of an organization?  Because all this seems interesting but I don't really want to be a lord of a fief.
Yeah, that's perfectly fine. I guess it wasn't explained very well in the rules, but that was the basic idea behind claiming titles without a fief or organization.
Cool.  I'll be brief, my window has closed unexpectedly three times now, after I've written my response.
Name: Johann Geld
Profession: Advisor, but has studied alchemy and magic his whole life
Affiliation: None.  I'm indecisive, whichever fief has the greatest library, college, or magical potential is what I'd prefer, but I'm good with any fiefdom, as long as the people aren't too barbaric.

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 21, 2012, 01:05:33 am »

Well, that gives me some pause. I'll say that the city of Korenberg, in order to purchase their freedom and land from the King, must have provided quite beyond their dues in a time of great need on the part of the King. Though, if they want to benefit from the protection of the King's army, they'll still need to provide some sort of tax and/or services.
It pays tax (though not much), has its own army (though not large), and helps the economy moving.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #92 on: September 21, 2012, 01:07:19 am »

How about we stop the mapping at some point, and force the people with the map to finish within 2-3 days of getting it unless they let us know they'll have it soon, or something like that?
Well in any case Tell has sent the map to me and I've started working on it

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 21, 2012, 01:19:33 am »

Is it possible I could be an advisor to a lord?  It's probably explained in the rules, but I don't see anything about advisors, would that be the same as being the leader of an organization?  Because all this seems interesting but I don't really want to be a lord of a fief.
Yeah, that's perfectly fine. I guess it wasn't explained very well in the rules, but that was the basic idea behind claiming titles without a fief or organization.
Cool.  I'll be brief, my window has closed unexpectedly three times now, after I've written my response.
Name: Johann Geld
Profession: Advisor, but has studied alchemy and magic his whole life
Affiliation: None.  I'm indecisive, whichever fief has the greatest library, college, or magical potential is what I'd prefer, but I'm good with any fiefdom, as long as the people aren't too barbaric.
Then you'll either want to be an advisor to the king, to have access to the University of Desantum in Renedos, or an advisor to Aram of Firelight to have access to the Great Library. (I assume. I actually don't quite know where any of his stuff is, it may be too far spread out). Or wait for some new fiefdom to come into being.

And as your character is a wizard, I'll repeat what I said before about wizard:
As for the magicians [...] there needs to be some defined limitation to their magic (and this applies to all magic users in general). This could mean their magic is limited to a theme of some sort, is limited only to long rituals, has a weakness of some sort, has certain requirements to perform, etc. It might be a combination of several things, or include something like a needed focus or method (such as swordsmanship or martial arts or tea ceremony). Then run it by me, and, so long as it's flavorful and interesting and not overpowered (so nothing like D&D-style do-everything-everyone-else-does-but-better wizards), I'll probably accept it.
So it's not possible for one person to learn or perform every single magical art. Also, certain areas or organizations may have their particular style when it comes to magic (though individual practitioners can and usually will do perform in a way that's at least somewhat unique to them).
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 21, 2012, 01:32:18 am »

Well, that gives me some pause. I'll say that the city of Korenberg, in order to purchase their freedom and land from the King, must have provided quite beyond their dues in a time of great need on the part of the King. Though, if they want to benefit from the protection of the King's army, they'll still need to provide some sort of tax and/or services.
It pays tax (though not much), has its own army (though not large), and helps the economy moving.
As long as the army helps with the general defense of the kingdom, that all will do.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 21, 2012, 02:11:35 pm »

Wait, there are caverns?
If adwarf gets an underground lake and good-sized city, I want a...SOMETHING underground! I'm still working on what!
I got it because I said so when I started, the only reason its a good size is because I don't have any other cities and I have to carve out more room for mine if it grows, you can colonize a city underground in game if you want, but don't just say "Oh he has something underground I WANTZ TO!" Not trying to be mean or anything, just saying if you want something go for it :P

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 21, 2012, 02:41:13 pm »

Yeah, again, I tried to elaborate on the magic side several times, but for whatever reason, my iPod decided to close the window whenever I finished writing.  I'm probably going to be using my computer all the time, but I wanted to put my name in and see what was going on.  Anyways, Johann's an alchemist and an adviser.  More someone who would bury himself in a book to find a solution rather than a mage who would throw fireballs at a problem, if that makes sense.  The Great Library sounds like the best place for perfecting alchemy, so if Aram of Firelight needs an adviser, Johann will gladly fill the position.

OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 21, 2012, 02:48:39 pm »

As the House of Bloodraven is made up of multiple families that operate under one name, outsiders are surely welcomed to join us.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 21, 2012, 03:01:00 pm »

Wait, there are caverns?
If adwarf gets an underground lake and good-sized city, I want a...SOMETHING underground! I'm still working on what!
I got it because I said so when I started, the only reason its a good size is because I don't have any other cities and I have to carve out more room for mine if it grows, you can colonize a city underground in game if you want, but don't just say "Oh he has something underground I WANTZ TO!" Not trying to be mean or anything, just saying if you want something go for it :P
Oh, you only have the underground thing? Never mind, I don't have any idea what I'd put down there anyways.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 21, 2012, 03:46:52 pm »

The Great Library sounds like the best place for perfecting alchemy, so if Aram of Firelight needs an adviser, Johann will gladly fill the position.
As the House of Bloodraven is made up of multiple families that operate under one name, outsiders are surely welcomed to join us.
It has been noted in the second post.

Yeah, again, I tried to elaborate on the magic side several times, but for whatever reason, my iPod decided to close the window whenever I finished writing.  I'm probably going to be using my computer all the time, but I wanted to put my name in and see what was going on.  Anyways, Johann's an alchemist and an adviser.  More someone who would bury himself in a book to find a solution rather than a mage who would throw fireballs at a problem, if that makes sense.
Not really. Does that mean he can only do magic by performing long rituals, or is magically enhances his studying ability, or something else?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Kamin

• Bay Watcher
  • Once you go cloaca, you never go backa.
    • View Profile
    • Slaves to Alcohol: Desura DF Fanpage
« Reply #100 on: September 21, 2012, 04:12:50 pm »

Although my people are warriors by nature, every Clan has at least one shaman, and groups of druids do their own thing on the periphery. The magic North of the Range is all the same green element-based stuff you'd imagine druids have. Most have animal familiars, and all are capable of some level of animal control. Plant control and manipulation is also common; this can be used to create tangled barriers, entrap, or strangle, for instance. There is a shamanistic tradition of fortune telling and scrying as well, which is the only thing that sets shamans apart from druids. We do not practice anything outside of this aside from very basic fire spells (for creating or sustaining campfires, no fireballs), water purification/generation ("generation" means rain), and land fertility rites. Everything aside from animal control, plant manipulation, and the basic fire spells aforementioned are very ritualistic and require both time and resources to perform. The more shamans and druids involved in a ritual, the more powerful the effects will be.

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 21, 2012, 04:16:57 pm »

Not really. Does that mean he can only do magic by performing long rituals, or is magically enhances his studying ability, or something else?
Well, alchemy is more transmutation than the conventional magic missile or corpse raising or anything.  It was pretty much accepted as science before chemistry, even though you can't really make lead into gold.  Pretty much, he's more of a scientist than a magician, but if there are really strong magics, he can probably do a few minor ones he's learned from books.  But he's not really a powerful magician or anything.  Much more reading than rituals.  Does that make it clearer, I know what I have in mind, so I may have skipped some important detail or other.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 21, 2012, 04:37:17 pm »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 21, 2012, 04:52:26 pm »

I think the Ironstone house would get along with Redcliff. They sound similar. I had dwarves as a vague inspiration for the House of Redcliff, so someone who lives in the caverns and mainly uses metals and such would have a lot in common with them. Do the caverns have any mushrooms or whatever? We could set up a trade of wheat and other surface crops for fungus.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 21, 2012, 04:54:56 pm »

I think the Ironstone house would get along with Redcliff. They sound similar. I had dwarves as a vague inspiration for the House of Redcliff, so someone who lives in the caverns and mainly uses metals and such would have a lot in common with them. Do the caverns have any mushrooms or whatever? We could set up a trade of wheat and other surface crops for fungus.
There are some cave mushrooms, perhaps enough to feed thirty people for a month can be gathered every year without damaging the mushroom patches beyond regrowth. We currently have no ability to farm said mushrooms and must rely on them to grow back (all of those outcomes were rolled for sake of fun :P)
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10