Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Religion and Spirituality Discussion  (Read 1375 times)

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
Religion and Spirituality Discussion
« on: September 17, 2012, 06:01:31 pm »

So, I've noticed that the topic of religion keeps coming up in threads that may be inappropriate. To address this i thought it prudent to throw up this thread for people to talk about religion and spirituality. That said, i realize putting this thread up is like playing with fire, and if it gets out of control i will be having it locked. Remember to be respectful, but also open-minded in discussion, someone merely having different views than you is not an attack on your character in it's own right.

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
Re: Religion and Spirituality Discussion
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 06:17:35 pm »

Been done many times before, I'm afraid. It's practically impossible to hold a religion thread for a prolonged period without it dissolving into chaos at some point.
Hello Hunam

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 08:05:49 pm »

talk about religion and spirituality

Ok. I propose that we not kill, maim, imprison or be rude to each other. Also, no raping heathens or forced conversions at gunpoint. Or swordpoint. Or papercut point.

Let's be nice to each other instead.
'
Please don't crucify me.

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 01:42:16 am »

It's ambitious to have a thread about religion that won't devolve into a flame war, but I doubt it'll happen.

Personally I don't discuss my views on religion because it involves several different religions and occultist texts (mostly on divination and not demons). Another reason is that I don't want to accidentally start a cult and I haven't solidified the logistics of it all. Making a coherent system of beliefs centered around several religions is hard.

Steam ID: The Fool [B12]
A Flexible Mind (Suggestion Game)

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 01:50:04 am »

"Making a coherent system of beliefs" is hard, period. :)

I soapboxed quite a bit in the last thread, and eventually quit after getting in a circular argument (probably my fault). Quickie version:

I'm agnostic. I accept any logically consistent possibility as a possibility, but I won't stick any stock in any particular theory. My general attitude is "don't worry about it." The only reason I ever concern myself with this stuff is because it can be fun mental exercise.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2012, 07:41:46 am »

Rather than discussing particular religions, what about theology/philosophy on a more abstract level? Less likely for people to get butthurt about it.

One of the things I think is interesting, that came as a breakthrough for me years ago was my own definition of "faith": The point at which you recognize the logical contradictions and paradoxes in your system of belief, and still believe.

It's going beyond the confines of logic, usually on the grounds of "there's something more that we don't know that would explain this".

I've been a Taoist ~20 years now, and when I undertook serious academic study of Taoism, I came to realize that it's full of paradoxes and inconsistencies and things that are just downright hazardous (If a Taoist alchemist offers you an immortality potion, DO NOT DRINK -- it's mostly mercury and gold flakes). And yet, the underlying premises still ring true to me. And in the end, that's all that matters -- that it be true to you.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2012, 07:47:32 am »

Good luck in this endaevor.  If you want to see what a long standing (if unconventional) yet functioning Religion and Spirituality forum looks like, look at Yahoo Answers.

Religion and Spirituallity Forum on Yahoo Answers. Try to find a time somebody is NOT trolling.

edit:  what did you want to discuss?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2012, 09:51:43 am »

Not this thread again. This ends even worse than most politics threads. Lock it before the Great Toad has to unlimber his banhammer.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2012, 10:01:23 am »

Last one seems to still be unlocked, and I don't recall anyone being banned in it despite going on for a good 750-ish posts. It just kinda' went quiet. This sort of thing does tend poorly, though.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2012, 10:05:46 am »

I completely missed that one. This is what comes of spending the summer with basically no internet.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2012, 10:22:02 am »

Yeah, the last one got into like 30 pages of circular arguments about definitions, postulates and burden of proof, not very fun (but not very flamey either).

Bay 12 has a pretty good record on religion threads so far as I have seen, they usually get closed or abandoned, but they aren't filled with vitriol and flames, even at the end when they get closed usually.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2012, 10:44:53 am »

We do usually get a little vitriol going, though.

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2012, 11:08:24 am »

Fuck yeah, second page 8)
My wooden badge was delicious.