Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Edge of the Abyss [6/6] Episode 1: A Union of Equals  (Read 3122 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Edge of the Abyss [6/6] Episode 1: A Union of Equals
« on: September 16, 2012, 03:58:12 pm »

Edge of the Abyss

The countless spires of Ildhina glow orange in the light of Voror, the primary moon. They descend, widening and thickening, into the earth. Thin lines of polished stone dive into the depths of the Abyss, gradually fading into the rock of the cliffside. In the low-hanging clouds of the Middle Depths, buildings of brick, brass, and wood rise, vast, sprawling towers and roofs shrouded in water vapor. Still lower is the Hive, that vast network of shanties, narrow alleys, hidden courtyards. Level after level, each built with the last as its foundation, descending into the depths of the Abyss. At the very bottom, nearly a kilometer below the clouds, there is the Warren, an immense space formed by the massive support columns of the city above, filled with heaps of scrap and ancient cisterns with vaulted ceilings.

At every level there is life, from the solitary magos in a lofty spine of stone and steel to the feral, desperate scavenger scraping out a meager existence in the heart of the Warren. Ildhina is an old, old place, home to hundreds of generations and still ever-growing. Airships ply the skyways above the Abyss, carrying cargo to other, lesser cities. Small, darting windriders carried through the endless sands of the surface by light sails, bringing exotic spices and metals from lands far away.

Virtually everyone has some magical ability, but only the rare few manage to find the time and funds to train properly, and even fewer possess either enough inherent strength or enough dedication to study to truly master the art. Many have some small scrap of talent for day-to-day use. Rumors persist of some sort of magic cancelling ability found in those far across the great desert, but the average magos completely denies such foolish thoughts.

You are one of the millions that live in Ildhina, true, but who are you? An ambitious apprentice to a magos, hoping one day to rise to true power? A downtrodden worker in the vast hydroponic farms, skin pale after years with only artificial light? A member of the crew of a merchant vessel stopped over for a few days? A wild survivor of the Warren, clad in rags and armed only with your fraying wits? A member of the Watch, trying to avoid thinking about the rampant crime beneath the clouds? Choose, then, and cast yourself to the winds of fate.

Spoiler: Character Sheet (click to show/hide)

So then. I think I’ve developed things to the point where I know exactly what I need to do to keep from being frustrated on every front. One RTD with lots of man-behind-the-curtain work is enough for me to run. There aren’t going to be many rules here, mainly just standard d6 for actions. I’d like things to work like this: every turn, everyone gets to do one or two cool things. So in other words, do a thing or maybe two if they could be reasonably chained together.

I’m not going to impose hard-and-fast restrictions or anything, but it would be greatly appreciated if people respected that. Nothing kills my interest in a game faster than continually having to deal with attempts to shoehorn ten minutes of pre-scripted action into a single turn, especially if people are doing things to other players and just assuming they’ll get away with it. Also, trying to do patently impossible things. Difficult, yes. Unlikely, yes. Improbable, possibly if you roll really well. Pulling a moon out of the sky from sheer force of will (without being supercharged with divine power or something), no. If you want to try BS like that, it’ll get shut down pretty fast. I like this world and I want people to enjoy playing in it, and I’m more than willing to make it fairly brutal if that’s what it takes to stop That Guying. Thanks ahead of time for not being That Guy. :)

I’m going to be taking a more descriptive stylistic approach (as opposed to a game-y one), so enjoying RP to some degree will probably be a plus. If you’re only in it for the chance to smash lots of faces in, you probably won’t enjoy this very much.

Spoiler: Rolls (click to show/hide)

Six players. I promise this one will keep going, both because it'll scratch a writing itch for me and (hopefully) because it will be fun to run.

Spoiler: Players (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 12:33:25 pm by Flying Dice »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Greenstarfanatic

• Bay Watcher
  • I wanna be a cow boy babey
    • View Profile
Re: Edge of the Abyss 0/6
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2012, 03:59:22 pm »

I'm in. I have yet to successfully go anywhere in any RTD by you.

My sheet will come tonight, though.

EDIT: Here it is!

Spoiler: Character Sheet (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 06:51:03 pm by Greenstarfanatic »
Hey, don't forget about research boy sitting right here!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2012, 04:07:49 pm »

Yeah, just a word of warning: I'm generally a nice person, but if I feel that I need to drop some rocks to keep things from being derailed into ALL CAPS FREEFORM RTD LOLOLOL antics, I won't hesitate. I've got a degree of investment in this setting (it was one of several I'd assembled in bare-bones form as potential novel settings), and I am primarily hoping for semi-serious roleplaying rather than powergaming. The funniest and most emotionally moving things tend to happen because of someone playing their character, not because "I push dood off cliff.".  ;)

3. Run Resize Enable

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2012, 04:10:21 pm »

Sheet coming. When the heat stops trying to murder me and boil my brain.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 04:22:14 pm by Caellath »
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

CrimsonEon

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that Blood Thine or the Enemy's?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2012, 04:14:41 pm »

I'm game, give me a minute to get a sheet up

EDIT: And here it is
Spoiler: Charsheet (click to show/hide)
Let me know if that fits alright into your setting
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 04:59:08 pm by CrimsonEon »

anailater

• Bay Watcher
  • Because She's Awesome
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2012, 04:20:22 pm »

Reserve, sheet tomorrow.
At best it's a pool of ink thats here for no reason; at worst it's a puddle of hateful alien death penises that want to murder-rape you into chunks.
So how are you today?

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2012, 04:22:57 pm »

This seems incredibly cool and full of opportunity, IN
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Nom nom nom

mesor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Edge of the Abyss 5/6
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2012, 04:43:06 pm »

Name : Lucian Wang.
Health : Excellent.
Skill : Electrical based magic ( Shock , Lightning and such ).
Inventory : Small book of electrical based spells.
Description : 6 Ft tall and very broad. Wiry muscles deceptively strong. Long red hair. Dark red eyes. He was a quiet child and became a quiet man always more interested in he's work and honing hes skills then in socializing with people.
Background : As a young child he was shocked many times over by electric currents and as he grew he came to find that he had a higher then average ability to control spells using this kind of energy. He served a magos for a time hoping to learn and for a while he did but he found the magos had disturbing views of hes place in the world and so fled from him and joint the watch hoping to put what he knew to good use protecting the people below and to this day still believes in that cause.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 04:59:07 pm by mesor »

CrimsonEon

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that Blood Thine or the Enemy's?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2012, 05:01:19 pm »

Character sheet done, edited into my first post.

Maxinum McDreich

• Bay Watcher
  • Gree-diddly-tings.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2012, 05:09:03 pm »

PTW, since by the time I can get my act together (daaays), the slots would have all been taken. I always enjoy a more serious RTD :)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2012, 05:20:59 pm »

Let me know if that fits alright into your setting
Looks great.  :)

PTW, since by the time I can get my act together (daaays), the slots would have all been taken. I always enjoy a more serious RTD :)
There's still a slot open if you want to reserve it.  ;)

(People who end up on my ignore list are going to have trouble playing, for obvious reasons.)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 05:22:41 pm by Flying Dice »

3. Run Resize Enable

Maxinum McDreich

• Bay Watcher
  • Gree-diddly-tings.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2012, 05:25:45 pm »

Nah. Someone will come along and get it done quicker. I could be days with both rl taking a little more time right now. I can't even get my head straight to read the premise properly, and the next time I'll read it will be 14 hours, since it's half 11 pm where I am right now.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2012, 05:27:34 pm »

Heh, there're only two actual sheets in. I'm perfectly willing to let it be first-come first-served. But if you really don't want to. :|

3. Run Resize Enable

mesor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2012, 05:31:48 pm »

I did try to send you a message to say sorry for how i was acting a few times but meh ok your call.

Flintus10

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2012, 06:28:19 pm »

Done, if anything doesn't make sense lore-wise feel free to mention it.

Spoiler: Character (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 08:03:33 pm by Flintus10 »
Pages: [1] 2 3