Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trolls going pacifist?  (Read 1250 times)

Noobazzah

• Bay Watcher
  • Make lye, not war.
    • View Profile
Trolls going pacifist?
« on: September 16, 2012, 07:35:46 am »

During a siege, five trolls caught one of my drunians and started beating it up. All it's limbs were broken, but then something weird happened. The trolls started running away, each coming up with a civilian profession like "troll metalcrafter" or "troll fish dissector". The drunian then woke up and went after them, but was shot once it got outside. Now the trolls are milling around the countryside, doing nothing to help their goblin masters. Is this usual behaviour?

Darkgamma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Trolls going pacifist?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2012, 08:07:57 am »

:o

I... highly doubt it.
if it's a blob made of steel, don't fight it. it may not heal, but it probably doesn't need to.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2012, 08:18:55 am »

The part about trolls having civilian professions is normal. There was once a troll architect,
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Noobazzah

• Bay Watcher
  • Make lye, not war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2012, 08:51:03 am »

So, did my computer develop feelings and somehow started living them though these trolls?

Berossus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2012, 10:51:59 am »

Successful "Feign death" skill-check??
My son, many speak of the honor in war.
My preferred method is to wait until their back is turned, then impale them with a pike held by someone else.
Preferrably from a distance.

thiosk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2012, 05:37:39 pm »

This sounds like what happens when a squad gets its orders cleared, becoming civilian.
When you do it to your squad, sometimes they revert to civilian and go running away from the conflict.  This is probably not the desired behavior for trolls, and they glitched...

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2012, 05:49:27 pm »

May i suggest that they you are being trolled?
>>
<<

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm really too normal to play this game so much.`
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2012, 06:09:53 pm »

This sounds like what happens when a squad gets its orders cleared, becoming civilian.
When you do it to your squad, sometimes they revert to civilian and go running away from the conflict.  This is probably not the desired behavior for trolls, and they glitched...

Did this happen when the map was cleared of goblins? I assume not, since you said the drunian got shot (presumably by a goblin). Or perhaps, when one squad of goblins was eliminated/run off?

I'm wondering if perhaps, with their masters gone, the trolls became... disconnected from the siege, in a way.
Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.
I think that's a little more impossible than I'm likely to have time for.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2012, 10:00:06 pm »

Did this happen when the map was cleared of goblins? I assume not, since you said the drunian got shot (presumably by a goblin). Or perhaps, when one squad of goblins was eliminated/run off?

I'm wondering if perhaps, with their masters gone, the trolls became... disconnected from the siege, in a way.

Sounds like the closest solution I can think of. Trolls do have the ability to have jobs and skills, but doesn't mean they will always use them.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Noobazzah

• Bay Watcher
  • Make lye, not war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2012, 05:04:35 am »

The siege was still very much alive, only 5 invaders had died yet (from a total of almost 200). Do trolls have squad leaders? One of them was shredded by a trap, just before the others started fleeing. By the way, once the gobbos were killed/routed, the trolls still hanged around, walking in and out of crossbow range. After a few lucky hits, they were all dead.