Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Super Child  (Read 3779 times)

talysman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Super Child
« on: September 15, 2012, 11:03:15 pm »

Any ideas what would make a dwarf child seemingly impervious to damage?

I took a long break from DF, but recently went back. I thought I was having a good run: hadn't quite set up the military yet and the fortress defenses were perhaps not as good as they should be, but I had an above-ground walled in area for foreign crops, fortifications on top of the wall, a spiral runway descending to a depot, a well fed by an aquifer, and plenty of underground pastures, so the dwarves could at least hunker down and survive an invasion. First vile force of darkness lost their leader to serrated glass disks, which put an end to that siege very quickly. And the minotaur walked right into a cage trap.

Then the second siege happened, right as the dwarf caravan showed up. I tried to keep the gates open a while for the wagons to make it inside, but when I saw the wagons were already being slaughtered, I shut the fortress up. Glass disks did some damage to goblins, but didn't break the siege this time. Goblins slaughtered every animal they could find and then just hung around... so I came up with a plan to lure part of them into a trap, but this required opening the main gate temporarily and then closing it.

It got jammed. Goblins and trolls swarmed the fort and started slaughtering every last dwarf, including the babies.

... Except two. The mayor was badly wounded and had crept away somewhere to rest, and the goblins didn't know where he was yet. The other was a child; I watched her creep out of hiding, trying to make it to a food stockpile, then running away as a goblin pursued her a short ways. This happened several times, then at one point she made it all the way out to the main fortress and fled down some stairs. Goblins surrounded her and attacked her, but... her health status was "stunned", "hungry", "thirsty", "drowsy" and "unhappy".

She was only a year old and born in the fort, so I don't think she was a vampire. Combat reports were showing goblins armed with silver maces and scimitars swinging and missing, repeatedly.

So were the goblins just incompetent, or is there some other way a kid could be invincible?

kierkkadon

• Bay Watcher
  • Ich will in Beifall untergehen.
    • View Profile
Re: Super Child
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2012, 11:21:02 pm »

I had this happen the other day with a minotaur. He showed up and started slaughtering all my dwarves (my military was busy killing giant mosquitoes on the other side of the map, of course), but every now and then he would stop on one dwarf and just keep swinging and missing. The dwarf was near death, lying there prostrate and bleeding, and the minotaur just attacking ineffectually. If new targets wandered nearby for one reason or another he'd move off and attack them and apparently return to normal until it would happen again a few victims later.
Bergmann storniert Trinken: Unterbrochen durch Carp.
I'm pretty sure the Elves like it deep in the dark passage, if you get what I mean.
In Soviet Russia, microcline strikes you!

Hurize

• Bay Watcher
  • Awesome God of Mass Destruction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2012, 11:49:57 pm »

Kind of reminds me of "The Incident"
The amount of malice in this thread is actually causing me some concern. I mean, chaining up mothers and forcing them to breed, just so we can drown their children to harvest their organs? Does this strike no one else as absolutely horrific?
You misspelled 'hilarious'

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2012, 03:17:39 am »

You mean kid-neo?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2012, 04:39:33 am »

You mean kid-neo?
That thread has defeated my search-fu. I must be content with it being forever ingrained in my memory.

Ki11aGhost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2012, 04:41:20 am »

You mean kid-neo?
That thread has defeated my search-fu. I must be content with it being forever ingrained in my memory.

How often do you change your avatar? O.o

Bigheaded

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2012, 09:13:00 am »

What was her dodger stats and such?

For Girlinhat's "Child Care" thread suggested making some very strong infants, which certainly works to some effect if you can keep them alive.

My guess is that the kid got a few lucky dodges first, then dodging skill began increasing then her dodges simply worked more often.
Would guess the goblins weren't particular good in "fighting" and in their weapon area, as high fighting skill makes them more accurate i think?!
The child quite probably had a few high stats such as high agility which would support her dodging.
Dear Urist McStockpileDrone
I just found a barrel which contained a wheelbarrow. Inside the wheelbarrow was another barrel. I don't even understand how that is possible.

Mapleguy555

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2012, 12:10:50 pm »

You mean kid-neo?

It's on a rotation.

Ki11aGhost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2012, 12:56:47 pm »

You mean kid-neo?

It's on a rotation.

Huh? What's that mean?

Mapleguy555

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2012, 01:06:35 pm »

You mean kid-neo?

It's on a rotation.

Huh? What's that mean?

It cycles everytime you see it.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2012, 01:08:20 pm »

You mean kid-neo?

It's on a rotation.

Huh? What's that mean?

How do you do that?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Hurize

• Bay Watcher
  • Awesome God of Mass Destruction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2012, 01:36:46 pm »

You mean kid-neo?

It's on a rotation.

Huh? What's that mean?

How do you do that?
you do that by doing a derail.
The amount of malice in this thread is actually causing me some concern. I mean, chaining up mothers and forcing them to breed, just so we can drown their children to harvest their organs? Does this strike no one else as absolutely horrific?
You misspelled 'hilarious'

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2012, 01:40:01 pm »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2012, 02:01:39 pm »

Holy crap how did this happen?
Pages: [1] 2