Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Post-31.xx: educate me (please)  (Read 1713 times)

stuntaneous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:ungodly beard of awesome]
    • View Profile
Post-31.xx: educate me (please)
« on: September 15, 2012, 03:52:02 am »

I vaguely know of.. vampires and minecarts. What are the big changes and what do I need to know about them? Thanks :)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Post-31.xx: educate me (please)
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2012, 04:27:29 am »

Were-creatures, evil biomes are awesome, necrospammers, clean rivers, mining changes, smelting/masonry rewrites, clothing and er... Probably some other stuff I'm missing. What'd you want to know about first?

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2012, 05:17:06 am »

Adding to the list...

Hauling has been overhauled. Heavy items like stones make your dwarves really, really slow, but now you can make wheelbarrows, which speed things up again. Dwarves now carry the bin to the item rather than the other way around when storing things in stockpiles. It's a really buggy system at the moment. The idea is that dwarves will be able to pick up several items in one trip, but half the time they steal the bin to pick up a single item, and you'll get a ton of job cancellations when your dwarves take a bin containing tasked items.

Migrants will now be historical figures if possible. I believe this includes members of past forts and retired adventurers.

There's a new animal training system. I don't know the mechanics in depth, but I know your animals' training has a quality level which determines how long they stay trained before reverting to a wild state. Children of trained animals grow up to be domesticated if they're trained as children. Training a creature increases your civ's knowledge of that species, which presumably makes that species easier to train in the future. Exotic animals can be tamed.

Web-shooting FBs and Titans have been fixed. They're pretty tough.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2012, 07:07:38 am »

And the silk is almost worthless.

Only dwarven adventurers can immigrate.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

stuntaneous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:ungodly beard of awesome]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2012, 09:29:05 am »

Loud Whispers: eeeverything. What do you mean by 'clean rivers'?

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2012, 10:38:05 am »

Loud Whispers: eeeverything. What do you mean by 'clean rivers'?
There was a bug prior to the current version where any stagnant water with only a one tile gap between it and the local stream/river would "pollute" the river and turn the entire thing stagnant.  This meant your dwarves would not have fresh water until/unless they get to a cavern lake/river, AND that underground water had not also turned stagnant.

Toady fixed it so flowing water "cleans" the stagnant out of water, which is how it should be.

Adding to the list:
* mine cart tracks (so dwarves don't have to push/guide the carts everywhere)
* uniform changes (that, unfortunately, don't fix the hunter/woodcutter/miner in the military uniform bug)
* unowned items rot away (faster if in a refuse pile)
* items laying untouched on the ground eventually become unowned (fixes the claimed food creating infinite miasma, iirc)
* mining skill no longer affects drop rate, just speed
* mining drop rate is 25% for all but small clusters
* however, turning boulders into blocks you get four blocks per boulder now so you should still have the same amount of building materials

You'll probably want to look up Kivish and his mother (Asmel?) for some info on were-creature syndromes and how they are spread.  LoudWhisper, have you determined if Kivish is a were-civit yet? :D
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2012, 10:40:43 am »

Were-creatures, evil biomes are awesome, necrospammers, clean rivers, mining changes, smelting/masonry rewrites, clothing and er... Probably some other stuff I'm missing. What'd you want to know about first?

Were-creatures are poor fellows who have been cursed by the gods or some such to assume the form of a randomly selected animal every full moon. In Fortress mode they're relatively harmless, since they arrive ambushing it's possible to miss them entirely until the full moon ends and you discover a very scared naked person. If on the off chance it bites a Dwarf or you capture one, they can be invaluable in making a special were-creature squad which is only vulnerable to one metal (I've seen were-creatures take steel bolts to the head and shrug them off because "other arms may not cut so deep"), which heal every full moon (even lost limbs!).
If they happen to bite a Dwarf and you not notice this, you may be in for some fun.

Evil biomes can resemble what they did in .31 with purple fauna and corpses wandering on to your map, but now there's an addition of weird tentacle grass (it moves! - serves no purpose than to look putrid though), possible evil interactions (which cause dead bodies/body parts with an eligible [GRASP] tag to come back to life), deadly/harmless rains that could consist of RNG liquids, creature blood and may have a nasty syndrome attached (which can cause anything from necrosis to unconsciousness) and finally the eerie glowing mists.
These can have the same effects of evil rain, but come in rolling clouds (much like miasma - but more mobile) and can also cause things to transform into husks of their former selves... Needless to say, they are terrifying to deal with by that point.

Necromancers have also been introduced, with towers occasionally popping up in world gen (or they take over a neighboring town). These can be visited in adventure mode, or if embarked close to, they will siege you with zombies/sometimes necromancers and may send stealthed necromancers. Needless to say, they are dangerous if left unpunished. Guard your refuse stockpiles.

Rivers used to stagnate (in the update) due to a bug, and now clean water destroys stagnant water.

Mining no longer drops stone/ore based on the miner's skill, but now carries a 25% luck chance of dropping stuff. More often than not you will not dig as much stone/metals than you could've in .31, but smelting now gives more (400%) bars and making rock blocks has the same bonus to production. Adamantine is unaffected (not using the mining skill at all), whilst gems have a 100% drop rate now.

Dwarves also wear clothes now, and will most likely go insane if left naked for too long.

You'll probably want to look up Kivish and his mother (Asmel?) for some info on were-creature syndromes and how they are spread.  LoudWhisper, have you determined if Kivish is a were-civit yet? :D
Kivish is 100% Dwarf, the possibilities... :P

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2012, 10:44:39 am »

-Adventuring mode cities, tombs, sewers, catacombs, etc.
-Adventure mode navigation and river crossing different
-Necromancers and towers, werecreatures, mummies, vampires and cultists, animated corpses, husks
-Dropped stuff anywhere in world has location remembered
-Caravan wagons are back again
-Proper use of metal bars at forge
-Minecarts/parabolic projectile paths
-The camera view can follow a single creature/item around your fort
-Creatures now not as suicidial around fire
-Mining drop rate change
-Clothing is now an essential need like food and drink

Hammerstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2012, 10:57:15 am »

There's also the physics upgrade, which was introduced for minecarts, but has an effect on a lot of things. Objects will now arc through the air and potentially bounce and skid on the ground, instead of the old fashion of flying in a straight line, stopping suddenly and falling straight down. If the object in question is alive, bouncing and skidding can cause additional injuries. I think it's even possible to skip things off the surface of water in this fashion.