Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8

Author Topic: Dawn of Time : The Beginning (still alive)  (Read 9747 times)

Azthor

• Bay Watcher
  • Doomy Dooms of Doom, Discount Sale!
    • View Profile
Re: Dawn of Time : The Beginning (still alive)
« Reply #90 on: October 04, 2012, 01:50:41 pm »

Remember it takes an axe to both get logs and transform said logs in firewood.

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 04, 2012, 02:01:01 pm »

Really? I thought knives could be used as well.

EDIT: just checked. Shoot. Scratch my last post then.
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

Dragor23

• Bay Watcher
  • A brazillion of football
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 04, 2012, 02:04:29 pm »

I still kinda need concrete numbers.

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 04, 2012, 02:30:52 pm »

How about:
2 cut down trees (2 axes)
2 make firewood (2 axes)
6 fish (6 spears)
5 + Hero hunt (5 clubs + 1 spear + 5 knives)
10 photo- farm (no equipment)
2 guard village (knives)
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

Dragor23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 04, 2012, 02:38:01 pm »

How about:
2 cut down trees (2 axes)
2 make firewood (2 axes)
6 fish (6 spears)
5 + Hero hunt (5 clubs + 1 spear + 5 knives)
10 photo- farm (no equipment)
2 guard village (knives)

Much appreciated. Now let me just crunch these numbers to get the job done.
(and you have 16,1 logs...)

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 04, 2012, 02:48:26 pm »

That's why I chose two firewood cutters, not 1.
Nice sig by the way.
*eagerly awaits update*

Dragor23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 04, 2012, 05:24:17 pm »

Numbers are done, now I just need to talk with Azthor about the rolls.

« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 05:29:28 pm by Dragor23 »

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #97 on: October 05, 2012, 10:02:23 am »

Like it has been said before "YOu cannot force progress"
You forced your tribespeople to stop wandering when that's all they've done for generations, but you can't tell them to use commonly held knowledge to dig? Or even start to flush and ambush game (which they're probably already doing, but still)? What about scouting, can we do that? Making more tools so that more people can contribute to large tasks? Trying to find more edible vegetables? I'm sure they've figured out some are poisonous, but are there more? At what point does it go from chilling out letting numbers accumulate to forcing progress?

Not going to argue with the op if he wants to nix a project, but it's a little irksome being immediately shut down by other players O.o
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 05, 2012, 11:23:40 am »

I wasn't even sure what your post was to be honest. Maybe I misread it. We don't have shovels anyway to my knowledge. But how could we convince them to do all that? It's highly labor intensive as opposed to just hunting. I see where you're coming from though. Maybe I was a little harsh [I don't think I was. Wasn't trying to be at least.] so sorry about that if I was.
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 05, 2012, 12:37:04 pm »

I'm sorry as well, Eagleon, re-read and it was a bit harsh. I started it as well. :(
It's a good Idea though, maybe when we have better tools or something.

And to answer the other questions:
Yes, we can make more tools (of the same type). We just haven't got around to doing it yet.
They're already figuring out the plants. That's what this photo-agriculture thingy is.
We could probably scout. Actually, I think that was mentioned once.
The GMs will probably let us know when we can actually start 'researching'

Again, sincere apologies.

Dragor23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 05, 2012, 12:39:08 pm »

Making tools is possible... Just let some tribals do it.
Scouting is possible too. Would lead to ENCOUNTERS, which brings REVELATION.
Proto-agriculture is indeed the direct meddling with the surroundings to support edible plants to grow better.

Also, I could post, but I want to talk with Azthor about some rolls. It's CRUCIAL.

Azthor

• Bay Watcher
  • Doomy Dooms of Doom, Discount Sale!
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 05, 2012, 01:17:32 pm »

Until the Scientific Method is discovered, trade between different civilizations will be a major aspect of technological advancement. A people can only achieve so much. The game will play very differently at different stages and much of the current micromanagement will become obsolete. Population is also a major aspect of the game.

Know this though, the game's primitive world is a brutal place; you will be actually encouraged to force evil upon others for the player civilization's prosperity.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 01:21:02 pm by Azthor »

Dragor23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 05, 2012, 02:15:00 pm »

Morale: 0,95
Active Population: 26 + 1 Hero
Living Conditions: Very Poor
Buildings: 4 tents,
Defenses: 7/7 stick alarm trap.

Spoiler: Supplies (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Tools (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Technology (click to show/hide)

Cultural bonuses raise the morale back from 0,95 to 1.

The worst of seasons has come! Snow is everywhere and people notice that the nature goes into a deep slumber. Gathering is disabled, as well food rotting away.

You suggest to your tribe, that something needs to be done about the corpses of the fallen. They deserve a better fate than just being left by the tribe. The people
are somewhat puzzled. Until now, dead were just left ; but they decide to give them back to the earth, leading to a cultural breaktrough in the form of Basic Burial!
(unlocks other technologies)

People are concerned about the cold and search for tools to fight it. One particularly clever individual found a fungus during woodcutting, whose inner part easily burns, aiding in the making if fires!

This lead to the a breaktrough in the form of Tinder Fungus!
(lowers the need of firewood with -25% You need 1/10 of the firewood used in fungi to get this bonus; you get 7 units of Tinder Fungi to start with)

You send 2 tribals to cut wood with the axes and 6 to spear-fish, while the hero, armed with a spear and followed by five companions armed with clubs and knives, go hunting. 10 tribals are left to improve the conditions for the plants that are edible. Two remain by the old and very young, protecting them with the knives.
Finally, two turn logs into firewood with the axes. You manage to get 3,4 logs, 4,65 pieces firewood worth of logs, 21,1 units fish and 13,08 units of game. The hunters managed to find an elk herd, bringing 50% more food than usual.

The tribals tear out unnecessary roots, soften the earth and clear overgrown parts of the forest and meadows near the camp to encourage edible plants to grow better, giving foraging an efficiency bonus of 6%! [Proto-agriculture [6/50].

One of the tribals, while digging the ground with his bare hands, notices something green amongst the white of the meadow. Confused and curious, he follows the green, fast-moving dot ; only to wish that he didn't. A goblin band, bearing 32 angry gobbos, is camped south of the tribe!

They notice him and he flees! Weird little spears are buzzing through the air, one of them hitting his shoulder! He falls to the ground, moaning; quickly subdued, he is tortured by the greenskins and rats out the camp, only to be left bleeding on the ground to face his demise.

A goblin ambush on the camp is unnoticed, due their skill at sneaking and avoiding enemies; they manage to rob 49 units of food! Luckily, no one aside from the damned coward is hurt.

He manages to come back to the camp, raving about greenskinned monstrosities south of the camp. Dying in the arms of -foo-, the hero swears revenge and the tribe in tow!

After the raid, 84,68 units food are left. 26 of these are eaten along the winter. Overall, the tribe managed to get 34,18 units of food this winter.

This winter, the tribe had 4,65 pieces of firewood, l.w.o and 7 tinder fungi. 4,05 l.w.o firewood are used, as well 0,54 tinder fungi.

Morale: 1
Active Population: 25 + 1 Hero
Living Conditions: Very Poor
Buildings: 4 tents,
Defenses: 7/7 stick alarm trap.

Spoiler: Supplies (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Tools (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Technology (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Known sites (click to show/hide)

Child of Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • Sanity? What's that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 05, 2012, 03:12:56 pm »

Look around to get a basic view of the area.
See if there is a cliff from where you could drop stones on the gob's if they attack.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #104 on: October 05, 2012, 05:39:56 pm »

….but they decide to give them back to the earth, leading to a cultural breaktrough in the form of Basic Burial!
I am a genius.

Should we have our Hero gather and lead a war party to go crush the gobs? I was considering staging an ambush, but after stealing all of that food without a single one of the tribesmen noticing, I doubt we would gain much of an advantage by doing so. I'm also hesitant to send the party, since theres a good chance we're outmatched against them. Are the Gobs led by a chieftain? Perhaps we could attempt to assassinate him in the night, and then regroup and assault their encampment at daybreak before they notice he's been killed.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8