Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sinister Ocean  (Read 3244 times)

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
Sinister Ocean
« on: September 13, 2012, 09:54:28 pm »

I got a Sinister Ocean for some bizarre reason. I generated a Small world and lo and behold, there's a weird inlet coloured brown and red. I thought it was an ocean of bloody vomit or an especially dark and gritty desert, but no, it's just an evil body of saltwater surrounded by perfectly normal terrain. Here's the save for your perusal: the ocean is easy to find.

NOTE: I was also running it in my mod which adds a single very large "particle accelerator" building that does nothing, takes no buildmats and can be built by dwarves, so that'll happen in your save too. But that wouldn't bugger up worldgen so I think this really is just a random neato feature.
My wooden badge was delicious.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
Re: Sinister Ocean
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 09:56:19 pm »

I thought this happened alll the time? So confused.

Oceaans count as a large biome, so they are subject to all attendant evil conversions in world-gen.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 09:57:52 pm »

Inland seas happen.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 10:01:39 pm »

This one was coloured brown which I had yet to see before genning this world.
My wooden badge was delicious.

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2012, 10:45:29 pm »

Oh, so it's a STAGNANT sinister ocean, no, wait, wut?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2012, 12:22:51 am »

I thought this happened alll the time? So confused.

Oceaans count as a large biome, so they are subject to all attendant evil conversions in world-gen.
This right here. Oceans can be evil/terrifying just like any other biome, so it's fully possible to get one like this. The only difference is that oceans turn brown/red to indicate that they are evil on the world map instead of turning purple.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2012, 12:36:17 am »

Yes I often get these when messing around with the worldgen params, once I literally got an entire world where all the water was evil around the land that was all good :P it was funny.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2012, 01:24:23 am »

In B4 Giant Sperm Whale Corpse! :P
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.