Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Making a City Evacuate  (Read 7029 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Making a City Evacuate
« on: September 13, 2012, 07:56:42 pm »

I'm wondering something for a FG&R thread I'm participating in: What kinds of disasters, realistic or fantastic*, would cause a whole city (or most of it) to flee as fast as they could overnight, taking minimal supplies and leaving their friends and less-liked family behind?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: Making a City Evacuate
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 07:59:03 pm »

Impending asteroid impact.  Aliens.  Super deadly epidemic discovered there.

Those are the three that jumped to my mind first.  Many other things wouldn't be quite as urgent.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Jervill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 07:59:15 pm »

Hurricanes...maybe tsunamis, but usually there isn't enough advance warning for those.

Well, generally not everyone will leave, some won't have the ability to, and some are just too stupid/stubborn to realize when they need to leave.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 07:59:44 pm »

Flooding. Volcano. War. Really virulent plague. Economic crash (Gold rush ghost towns, anyone? Not so much overnight)

Meteor strike. Pit to hell opening. Everyone ascending. Robot uprising.

Can't think of any more off the top of my head.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2012, 07:59:48 pm »

I'm thinking aliens would be one of the fastest ways to make a city evacuate. Ship lands in the middle, tripods start coming out...
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2012, 08:02:05 pm »

Nuclear explosion takes out downtown at night?

Zombie apocalypse?
My wooden badge was delicious.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2012, 08:07:34 pm »

More accurate: What would cause 90% of a major city's population to get stuck in traffic on the streets and highways leading out of the area?  :P

In the event of a calamity, either walk or bike your way out. Or drive a monster truck. Zombies ain't gonna do shit if they can't even reach the top of your tires.

But yes, I'd guess a (predicted) major disaster, particularly a volcanic eruption consisting of mostly slow-moving lava. Something where people know what is coming and have time to evacuate, but not so much that they can be leisurely about it. Something that strikes without warning is either going to come and go before people can really manage to leave, or will kill everyone trapped in the initial traffic snarls.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2012, 08:19:33 pm »

Cthulhu and friends.  The Spice Girls threatening to perform.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2012, 08:20:43 pm »

Zombie apocalypse?
Would people get enough warning before being eaten?

More accurate: What would cause 90% of a major city's population to get stuck in traffic on the streets and highways leading out of the area?  :P
In the event of a calamity, either walk or bike your way out. Or drive a monster truck. Zombies ain't gonna do shit if they can't even reach the top of your tires.
Reality can be added later, right now I need calamity.

Quote from: Flying Dice
But yes, I'd guess a (predicted) major disaster, particularly a volcanic eruption consisting of mostly slow-moving lava. Something where people know what is coming and have time to evacuate, but not so much that they can be leisurely about it. Something that strikes without warning is either going to come and go before people can really manage to leave, or will kill everyone trapped in the initial traffic snarls.
Good and general. Nice.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2012, 08:25:51 pm »

Zombie apocalypse?
Would people get enough warning before being eaten?
Depends on which sort of zombies.
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2012, 08:39:46 pm »

I'm thinking aliens would be one of the fastest ways to make a city evacuate.

I would expect this to attract people, not cause them to evacuate.

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2012, 08:46:32 pm »

Well, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want to stick around if said aliens seemed to really like the idea of pointing their lasers at you menacingly...

Yeah, this is pretty much there is to say on the matter. Would have to be something that wouldn't wipe everyone out instantly, but also wouldn't take its damn sweet time trying to kill everyone.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 08:49:59 pm by Johnfalcon99977 »
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2012, 08:51:14 pm »

Hurricanes...maybe tsunamis, but usually there isn't enough advance warning for those.

Just wait till we disband NASA because they're such a waste of money.  Then we can be back to the good old days of not predicting the weather like God intended.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2012, 09:22:25 pm »

Just wait till we disband NASA because they're such a waste of money.  Then we can be back to the good old days of not predicting the weather like God intended.
Satellite launch capability is one of the NASA programs that hasn't been gutted, due in part to the military's need for satellite surveillance.
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2012, 09:37:35 pm »

Depends on the person.
Sig
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5