Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Question For All Dwarfs  (Read 1574 times)

DwarfItUp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Question For All Dwarfs
« on: September 11, 2012, 08:04:07 pm »

OK, recently I have made a new fortress in Boldunon, and the majority of my fort has resided in the side of a Local mountain. I proceeded to kill off a Kobold thief early in game who tried to apparently steal from my fort, once the threat was eliminated; My dwarfs went apeshit and basically just killed each other and any surrounding animals. Their was no alerts; no 'Berserking' alarms, or anything of any sort. I refuse to accept this as just a coincidence because it has happened for 4 straight forts until the point of no manageable military being made afterwards. I dont know if this is a glitch or what, but it is supremely fucking my forts up.  :-\
Too many limbs

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Question For All Dwarfs
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2012, 08:14:22 pm »

More info needed.  Were there merchants?  Did you create a loyalty cascade somehow?
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Sidhien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 08:21:24 pm »

Couple of things this could be:

Tantrum Spiral - Probably not since you mentioned there were no announcements.
Reanimation - Possibly might be the case if you have evil biomes / sneaking necromancers around. If your dwarves flash an 'N' with a '~' over it this is what's happening.
Loyalty Cascade - From what you mentioned, this is most likely it, though I've never had personal experience with one. If for whatever reason a member of your civ attacks another member of the same civ (like via a military order to attack the caravan), that dwarf will be simultaneously an enemy AND a member of that civ, and anyone who attacks them (which they will do automatically) gains a similar status.

Edit: Are you sure the thief you killed was really a kobold? And not, say, someone's pet kiwi?
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 08:24:05 pm by Sidhien »

DwarfItUp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2012, 04:13:48 pm »

I went through all of that afterwards when it was just a bloody moshpit. I remember their was a glitched trader on the edge of the map, and when i ordered to kill him I never managed to look and see if he was a dwarf. The loyalty cascade seems the most likely, since it didnt happen when i ambushed a elven group coming through. The kobold was FOR SURE a kobold though. he killed one of my workers while fishing. Thank you for the help though, Ill look into it more and come back if i have the issue again-- or just use wiki.
Too many limbs

Noobazzah

• Bay Watcher
  • Make lye, not war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2012, 08:57:49 am »

Sounds like a loyalty cascade. I don't know if it's possible, but maybe the kobold was a member of the dwarven civ somehow?

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2012, 10:00:28 am »

I remember their was a glitched trader on the edge of the map, and when i ordered to kill him I

created a loyalty cascade.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2012, 01:01:28 pm »

I remember their was a glitched trader on the edge of the map, and when i ordered to kill him I never managed to look and see if he was a dwarf.
DFHack has a command to fix this, it's "tweak fix migrant" IIRC.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2012, 07:14:45 pm »

I remember their was a glitched trader on the edge of the map, and when i ordered to kill him I

created a loyalty cascade.

I did exactly the same thing, once upon a time.

Protip: Never start a loyalty cascade with your legendary soldiers.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2012, 07:47:49 pm »

Protip: Never start loyalty cascades.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2012, 02:27:49 am »

Sounds like a loyalty cascade. I don't know if it's possible, but maybe the kobold was a member of the dwarven civ somehow?

One of my Dwarf Forts has this in spades, a bunch of Goblins that just kind of sit around taking up space and not doing anything.

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2012, 11:04:45 am »

Not true, it makes for a great and very !FUN! challenge scenario!
Feeling down? Click Here!

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2012, 12:26:25 pm »

Yea man, that glitched trader is a migrant and therefore a dwarf. They usually unstick themselves when you aren't looking, and the migrant wave resumes. But as said earlier, DFhack can fix dat.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2012, 04:49:56 pm »

Not true, it makes for a great and very !FUN! challenge scenario!

It divides your fortress into three factions: Those who hate the civ but love the fort, those who hate the fort but love the civil, and those who have not attacked or counterstruck any of the above (a slowly but inevitably dwindling number). You'd best hope that the first two groups kill each other before destroying or absorbing the third, because the three groups are inter-hostile, the first two proactively so, and migrants will fall into the third group always, so no peace ever.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.