Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9

Author Topic: What is YOUR most wanted feature?  (Read 12524 times)

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
Re: What is YOUR most wanted feature?
« Reply #105 on: October 10, 2012, 02:03:51 pm »

When you think about it, we gotta have some MOAR music, and damn - this one fits quite nicely.
For one reason or another...

chaosgear

• Bay Watcher
  • Pants-on-head retarded
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 10, 2012, 03:45:03 pm »

When you think about it, we gotta have some MOAR music, and damn - this one fits quite nicely.
I'm gonna play this during sieges. It's too fitting.
I always seem to end up with a magnificent burial complex and nowhere near enough bodies to fill it, or far too many bodies and nowhere to put any of them.

nomad_delta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 10, 2012, 04:11:19 pm »

I think my most wanted feature would be... Marksdwarves that work properly.  Specifically, for the "training/combat" material designation for Bolts to work properly.  (What I think *should* happen is for them to carry their "combat" designated bolts by default so they're always ready for battle, but upon initiating a "Go to Archery Practice" job they should drop their Combat ammo and pick up Training designated ammo instead... as soon as they're finished training, they should revert to carrying Combat ammo again...  seems simple enough, right?)

It would also be rad to have some basic "tactical" commands for the military, like being able to instruct a squad not to charge off into battle the instant they see an enemy, but rather to remain at their post until something actively engages them or comes within X tiles of them.  This would allow for much more interesting combat tactics, flanking, etc...

--nomad_delta

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 10, 2012, 05:07:00 pm »

It seems simple, but it really isn't.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

nomad_delta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 10, 2012, 05:15:38 pm »

It seems simple, but it really isn't.

fair enough, but why not?  wherein lies the complication in doing what I suggested:

1. Whenever a "Go to Archery Practice" job is triggered, check to see whether the ammo currently quivered is allowed for "training".
 a. If yes, proceed to archery practice.
 b. If no, drop the current ammo and generate a "pickup equipment" job to get ammo designated for training.

2. When the archery practice job is complete, or any other time a "pickup equipment" job is generated, dwarves should always pick up "combat" designated ammo.

Effectively, only ever pick up "training" ammo when actively going to archery practice, and never else.  There's no other time it makes sense to carry it around.

I understand that implementing any feature in something as vast and complex as Dwarf Fortress can be more complicated than it would seem, but relatively speaking, I think this solution should be fairly straight-forward to put in place, and should have the desired effect without any side-effects that I can think of.

--nomad_delta

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 10, 2012, 08:00:36 pm »

The first, and most obvious, issue with that is the storage issue.  Either they carry both types of ammunition at the same time, or drop one type in favor of the other. 

The first case could be handled by an arbitrary change of allowable ammo capacity, since a quiver only holds so much currently.  The second case is a nightmare both in the case of hauling jobs generated by the dropped ammo (said ammo possibly still being claimed, notwithstanding), as well as the multiple "grab equipment" jobs the training dwarves must be issued coming to and going from practice.  That would be a great time for a squad to be "caught with their trousers down" if an attack happens.  It could be argued that two, smaller, squads could be cycled in and out of training, but the overall efficiency still, quite frankly, sucks.  It will have generated dropped ammo clutter, with the associated hauling jobs, for two squads, and there will be a lag time between finishing training for one squad, re-equiping for live fire and reporting to duty before the other squad can be relieved for training.

The second, and somewhat more obtuse, issue is the idea of Intent.  The dwarven mind is still a relatively simple AI.  Some great feats can be completed with massive amounts of micromanagement, but getting the dwarves to really understand whether this 'training exercise' is intended to use live ammo or training bolts is beyond what they can currently divine, given the current state of development.  Case in point:  I'm training my marksdwarves on a captured gobbo squad, pitted onto a bridge (cleaning purposes, enough said), seperated from the squad by fortifications.  I'd LIKE them to use wooden bolts, to stretch out training and let them get more practice.  However the dwarves will be firing at the gobbos as hostiles and may be tempted to drop their wooden bolts where they stand, run like &&&& for the ammo stockpile and run back with =<*Steel Bolts*>= to pepper the semi-nude gobbos in short order, in the absense of some higher level reasoning, and detailed instructions from the Overseer.

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 10, 2012, 08:51:45 pm »

The ability to play as goblins in Fortress mode, done properly and without mods.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 11, 2012, 12:00:55 am »

You could check out the song in my sig.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 11, 2012, 12:07:06 am »

God interactions.

Really, I always have a dream of seeing stuffs like a pissed god sending his avatar onto a blasphemous civilization and killing everything.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

VNdoug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 11, 2012, 07:26:52 pm »

We're building it up
To break it back down
We're building it up
To burn it down
We can't wait
To burn it to the ground
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

repak

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 12, 2012, 12:56:14 pm »

better sieges

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 13, 2012, 12:57:13 am »

better sieges
Welcome to the Forum.

And "Better Sieges' is defiantly on the to-do list. With towns being sieged and Adventures being able to (for now), seeing the after math of said sieges is step in the direction for better Fort Mode sieges.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 13, 2012, 02:05:39 am »

Also, live siege while you're sleeping in a town would be cool.
Like you waking up and a message pop up

"A (insert type here) siege! Stop the invaders!"
And then you could see the guards rusing out and fighting the invaders while the villagers run for the fort

Of course unless the adventurer is super badass hamlets don't stand a chance, and maybe all the villagers might flee while some fight instead.

"A raid! Run away!"
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Kedly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 13, 2012, 05:52:11 am »

And now I'm listening to Linkin Park again.... *sigh*
((No.  ER Lasers are tickle generators, and dispense hugs, loves, and puppies.))
The fedora guy has potentially lethal amounts of swag :v

KiTA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 13, 2012, 06:29:19 pm »

My most wanted feature:

A Better Site Finder.  Specifically, I'd like to be able to search for sand, as well as HFS.

For a new-new feature, I'd love to have Necromancy be added as a fortress feature.  I like the idea of killing some invading necromancer and finding a tome, or having a dwarf migrate to my fortress with the secrets of life and death.  Undead thralls could be handled using the pet system, and I think it would be interesting to see.  Maybe the other races of the world may find it abhorrent and Siege your fortress in retaliation?

In fact, expanding that request:  Magic in DF.  We have religion, how about holy magic?  Enchanted items?  Engraving expanded to engraving runes?  I think it would expand the game quite nicely.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9